5.0 out of 5 stars Review of French phrase book (DK)
Published on 4 May 2011 by Mrs. S. L. Lee

3.0 out of 5 stars Acceptable
I bought this for a short visit to France, my first for a number of years. On the plus side it it very small and fits comforably in your pocket. It was basically ok though there seemed to be some glaring ommissions for phrases to use when out and about. I think I would buy something a bit more comprehensive for any future visits.
Published on 2 July 2012 by Damosin, London

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Review of French phrase book (DK), 4 May 2011
This review is from: French Phrase Book (Eyewitness Travel Guides Phrase Books) (Paperback)
Having looked in several shops for a French phrase book to accompany a course my son and I are doing, and not found anything not overloaded with grammar, I turned to the trusty Dorling Kindersley on Amazon. This book is a perfect, reasonably priced phrase book and perfectly fit for purpose and small enough to slip into a pocket. Ben wants to go and live in France so seemed a good idea to learn the language! We are learning using Michel Thomas's French course and only speaking French at meal times (makes for a peaceful meal!) The phrase book is a good adjunct to this.

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent all rounder!, 17 Feb. 2012
I found this book very useful when I first went to France, having learned classroom French many many years ago! It contains basic everyday phrases under a number of headings with a guide for imitated pronunciation. There is also a mini dictionary. I recommend this to anyone going to a French speaking country and whose French is rusty!

5.0 out of 5 stars A handy thing to have., 10 Nov. 2011
A great little book if you're travelling in France. Very easy to use and well laid out with a lot of common phrases that you'll need laid out by category. Recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's a French phrase book, 8 Oct. 2012
Mr. J. Ryden (In your mind, in the part you've forgotten about.) - See all my reviews
I do like the DK range of travel phrase books; i'm sure there are others out there which are equally novice-friendly for the aspiring polyglots, but i've always gravitated towards their phrase books when on a weekend jolly somewhere.

Their French phrase-book is no different, easy to use phrases with phonetics and pronunciations. Phonetics are a big one for me as it's no good knowing the order of the letters if you can't pronounce them properly (after an ill-fated trip to Budapest)! Indexed into key sections for the casual traveller, this phrase book will help you get around and ensure you're understood at the very least, even if you're casually murdering their language, one mispronounced word and misconjugated verb at a time.

Pro-tip: Where possible, rehearse what you mean to say (ie buying a train ticket) in detail, including your best attempt at pronunciation. Clear your throat then impress the foreign speaking world with your multi-lingual skills. The lady in the kiosk will smile approvingly and your family at your side will swoon imperceptibly out of admiration. The lady then asks you a question which you haven't accounted for, uh-oh. A few options here: eloquently say 'Oui' whilst nodding sagely then walk off, leaving them in confusion; revert to blustering English then open your trusty phrase-book while jabbing your finger at what you hope is the correct topic; or get the wife to interject therefore crushing what respect you had cunningly built-up.

Always go for the first option.

On a more serious note, I find it at least courteous to learn the bare basics of the host's language. Even if you're killing their language I find most people will tend to appreciate the attempt. It never ceases to shame me when I hear people complain 'they don't even speak English'. The answer is, they probably do but certainly won't do so if you can't engage the old grey matter.

5.0 out of 5 stars does the job, 9 Nov. 2011
I purchased this for a business trip to help me get by. Nice and compact, relevant quick sentences - perfect for complete beginners (like me!!)

4.0 out of 5 stars Bought for my Dad (retired), 11 Jan. 2010
J. Smith (Cornwall, UK) - See all my reviews
I got this phrase book for my Dad, who has been partof the local French Twinning for years and just wanted a handy reference to keep with him. He's very happy with it so far!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 30 April 2013
This is one of the best phrase books I've seen. Not only helps you with how to ask questions but also tells you how to pronounce the words. Excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful, 20 April 2013
Bought this book for our visit to France. It was so easy to use, helpful tips and phases.
Great for the price, not complicated.

3.0 out of 5 stars Acceptable, 2 July 2012

3.0 out of 5 stars Its okay!, 9 Sept. 2013
I was a little disappointed with this book, it's small and I find a dictionary - English French, French English with phrases included better. I suppose it's a matter of personal taste, some pictures may have been more helpful

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

French Phrase Book (Eyewitness Travel Guides Phrase Books)