‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Facinating for 6 year olds !, 16 Jun 2010
This review is from: A Street Through Time: A 12,000-year Journey Along the Same Street (Hardcover)
I bought this for my two grandsons, 6 and 8. The latter is already well into books; the former is on the brink. I am delighted that it was the latter who really latched on to this book immediately. He was particularly taken by the "Plague" page and some of the early civilisations. You won't be surprised to learn that the 8 year old soon spotted the man using the long drop getting caught out by invaders ! As one talks about the pictures one realises just how many levels at which there is an opportunity to compare and discuss. Really stimulating - and fun for me too. Oh, and I'm told the little one insisted on taking the book to school next day and showing it to all his playground friends. A hit. I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't know if my 7, 8, 9 years old or I liked it the most!?, 29 May 2001
By A Customer
Simply beautiful, interesting and fun! I teach 6 to 10 years old children history, and this is our favourite book. This is such a clever way to educate and and increase interest. The children felt so clever when they made discoveries on the pages, and this book really got them to wonder over whole series of questions for themselves, got them to really think. Even thouse not so interested in the story the book told got into the game of finding the hiding man, for that the book should get and extra star.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great find for visual learners, 21 Mar 2006
By A Customer
My 6-year-old son is Autistic, and discovered this book at our city museum. He fell in love with it and I got it from our library. It's obviously been well loved (falling apart)so I've put it on the wish list to buy.
He has learned so much about British history without even trying and, as he has a fantastic eye for detail, he's always the one to spot the objects that are on display in the present-day museum, as they appear in previous ages.
I cannot recommend this book highly enough for any learner, but especially visual learners, who get put off by dense writing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating to young and old alike, 10 Jan 1999
By A Customer
The amount of detail captivates every reader and expands their thoughts no matter what their age or level of historical knowledge. My nine year old received the book for Christmas and not only did it engage her, but every family visitor from 7 to 80 over the next few days was fascinated. I only hope there will be other books to follow based on the development of other civilizations

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good book, 31 May 2012
The book has mainly pictures from a village/town through time, starting with cavemen to nowadays.
The pictures have so much information and so much detail.
Both my kids, which are great "Wally" fans as well, love it.
They love to spot the tiny details as well as grasping the bigger picture, ie. how the society declined after the "Roman" time, before it strived again later on. How a treasure was hidden during viking times and found back during the victorian times.

If your kids likes history and detailed pictures, it's a brilliant book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fabulous book to look at for hours, 13 Oct 2009
I am a teacher and have bought this book to use with my Year 5s. It is a fabulous resource for Geography and History. Hours of interesting looking, spotting and discussing for school and at home.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for kids. Or Adults who slept thru history class., 24 Nov 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: A Street through Time (Hardcover)
Truly superb graphical representation of the last 12,000 years or so of history. A feast of superbly-presented historical milestones and turning points. If you yawned your way through history class at school, you can learn what you missed in this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Street Through Time, 17 Mar 2012
Bluesman (Cheshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This is an excellent book, relating the changing architecture and social aspects of life in a single street through the passage of time. With much detail in the vivid illustrations, it will be of interest to both adults and children.
Very keenly priced on Amazon, the book arrived in good time and in perfect condition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots to talk about, 21 Feb 2012
K. J. Stone - See all my reviews
When my youngest son had speech problems I got the farm through time as one of his talk tools. This one is even better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Book, 13 Aug 2014
Don't miss this one. I can't ever imagine selling our copy. A great book to get a sense of history and in what order the Vikings, Saxons, etc. arrived on our soils. Beautiful illustrations with lots to look at. My children and I love this book. Really big size so good to look at as a family too.
We had this out from the library so many times that I bought it, well worth it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›