on 22 October 2004
I can only agree with the other reviewers, this is an excellent book. I normally steer clear of "exercise books" - I've practiced Yoga and Tai Chi and currently practice Taekwondo and virtually every book I've seen on those subjects misses some basic dimension, e.g. the pictures aren't of the crucial moment or are from the wrong angle, the descriptions don't quite get the point across, etc. In this case, the pictures and descriptions are excellent. Since buying the book I have seen a few Pilates DVDs and discussed my technique with practitioners and I haven't found anything yet to make me think the book has sent me in the wrong direction. In my view, this is outstanding for an exercise book and well worth every penny. Enjoy!
on 12 January 2006
I am relatively new to Pilates. Thankfully, I had beginner's luck, due to the fact that Ungaro's "Pilates: body in motion" was one of the first two books I bought regarding Pilates. The other was not too good, but this one more than makes up for it.
In my opinion, Alycea Ungaro should be praised for writing such an useful and clear book. In the introduction, Ungaro says that "Life wreaks havoc on our bodies", due to the fact that "Our routines and habits cause us to consistently overuse specific muscles", but that Pilates can be an antidote to that. She points out that Pilates is "not a mystical cure-all", and that it is not supposed to replace other forms of exercise but rather complement them, in order to help you to "look better, perform better, and, above all, feel better".
"Pilates: body in motion" has not only good explanations besides each exercises, but also many photographs that allow the reader to understand how to perform each one correctly, and what to do to avoid the more common mistakes.
I think it is also worthwhile to highlight that this book is neatly divided into chapters, one for each program (introductory, beginner's, intermediate, advanced), and one as introduction. That helps the reader to save time, due to the fact that he can find the exercises that correspond to his level quite quickly. What is more, it also gives each person the opportunity to advance at his own pace, something we are not always able to do in a class.
On in all, I think that this is an excellent book, and I strongly recommend it to anybody who practices Pilates, or would like to practice it. You won't be disappointed :)
Belen Alcat
on 28 December 2005
I had a bad experience with pilates books ,non of the previous books I bought have such good explanations and instructions as Alycea Ungaro's book, I'm already a certified Pilates instructor so I know what I'm talking about.I was happy to see this book was translated to hebrew and now is sold here in Israel.
The book has clorful and clear pictures with clear instructions of what to do and what not to do next to them, the exercises are divided to beginner, intermediate and advanced level and there's a chart with the order of the exercises for every level with little pics and a bonus magic circle workout in the end.
So have fun with it.
on 6 October 2003
This book is the best book that I have seen on Pilates. I have been practicing Yoga for more than 10 years and I am physically fit. So, this book was easy to understand in terms of what Pilates is, the different levels from Introductory, Intermediate and Advanced are clearly laid out in a comprehensive organised and user friendly manner and for me it has been the encouraging introduction into the world of Pilates which I incorporate in my Yoga routine. For me that is what makes it a great book. It is still challenging for me even though I am flexible and fit yet gentle enough if you are not. This book can be used for all levels of fitness. A must buy if you are serious about learning Pilates.
on 19 March 2004
I am new to Pilates and having read reviews on this book i was not disappointed. First the pictures and instructions are clear and simple. If you are new to Pilates and want a clear direct focussed book - this is the one.You can also add Brooke Siler's Pilates Body for a back up and you're good to go.
on 9 February 2014
This book is great for beginners in Pilates, but experienced in exercising.It is focused on mat Pilates that can easily be performed home. It has various levels: novice, intermediate and advanced, that makes the workout challenging. Clear and descriptive images explain all exercises.
Straight to the point introduction, not too much theory.

Bought it used, in a great shape for a good price.
on 23 July 2007
This floor pilates book is really user friendly. Clear photographs, easy to follow steps and explanations as to why the various exercises are used make this book great. It also caters for all levels of fitness and flexibility. I am a student of floor pilates at advanced level, but will keep this book as a handy reference. Especially great for those starting out with pilates and well worth the money.
I bought this book after reading the great reviews both on Amazon UK and USA. I agree with the other reviewers: if you are into Pilates it is THE book to buy. I got it second hand for less than £5.00. The pictures are very clear and the explanations easy to understand. The book is divided in three sections: beginners, intermediate and advanced programs. A lot of info on the correct posture & how to do the exercises correctly.
However, I do not think that you can learn Pilates from a book. But if you are attending classes this is ideal to complement your Pilates practice at home. I really appreciate that there is a comprehensive section with the advanced routine. Worth every penny.
on 28 December 2013
I like the pace and instruction of the authoress Alycea Ungaro.The importance of breathing within Pilates is normally glossed over by less quality books. I particularly liked the diagrams which are instructive and not patronising. I like the view that “Life wrecks our bodies”. I tend to agree, as humans we tend to develop poor posture at an early age. Lack of exercise and poor sugar diets are not helping our generations. So my advice is to buy this book and slowly appreciate how Alycea guides you through the exercises. I am of intermediate standard in Pilates and I think its money well spent.
on 7 December 2014
I don't use this book as much as some of my others, but I have to say that this book does contain good photographs, step-by-step instructions and what I particularly do like is the sequence of the total movement which is shown at the bottom of the page showing the exercise from the start to end.