on 29 October 2000
Dr Miriam Stoppard is a leading expert on women's health, and the author of several outstanding books; 'Menopause' is no exception. This is a very well thought out, clear and informative book: in my opinion, a must for menopausal, and post-menopausal women alike; younger women would also do well to read Dr Stoppard's advice.
The book provides a comprehensive, illustrated guide to all aspects of menopause: from planning for it; how the female body changes; all possible symptoms of menopause; common medical complaints, and the treatment of them; hormone replacement therapy (HRT); health monitoring and self-examination, and even sound advice on sexuality and relationships: an important aspect that cannot be ignored!
As a fitness professional, my main areas of interest are fitness and nutrition; Dr Stoppard covers both of these very well with practical advice on how to improve and maintain fitness, flexibility and posture, and good information on nutrition, healthy cooking and weight management.
I would thoroughly recommend this book for any woman (or her partner!) who has any question about the menopause.
0Comment37 of 38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 May 2003
If you are having your menopause within the average age range and do not have any other major medical problems, then this book is probably a good buy. However it failed to talk in any detail about premature menopause. When it did do so it omitted to mention chemotherapy as one cause for premature menopause. As these are key issues for myself I was left feeling dissatisfied.
I also required information on bisphosphonates, a non hormonal treatment for strengthening bone during menopause. There is no mention of these in this book.
The book is filled with many pictures, including how osteoporosis affects the bones, how to carry out breast examination and useful exercises. These were very clear and helpful.
I liked the balance between the promotion of non-medical management of menopause symptoms as well as use of HRT. However there is no mention of individual drugs by name so if you want to find more about your specific medication this book will not necessarily give you answers.
When I first read this book I kept thinking something was missing so kept flicking though searching for something. I have come to the conclusion that it does not adequately cover the emotional aspects of menopause especially for women for whom menopause has come unexpectedly early. As far as I am concerned this is not the "complete guide" it says it is.
Since buying this book I discovered The Premature Menopause book by Kathyrn Petras and also available on Amazon - this was a much better buy for others in a similar situation as myself.
0Comment70 of 74 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 January 2011
I bought Miriam Stoppard's "Complete Guide" a few weeks ago and have been reading it ever since. It is a comprehensive and practical advice manual for all women. On the downside however, I felt that the advice in the natural/alternative therapy section was ever-so-slightly out of date, and since the book was published I think alternatives to HRT have moved on. I now find I will have to look elsewhere for help and advice because that was the one area I was interested in.
on 29 March 2009
This is the most depressing book I have read on the subject. It more or less spells gloom and despair about the awful things that are going to happen to you post 48, (I am already past that and thankfully have not noticed any of these handicaps that are presented as inevitable), whilst at the same time telling you to be positive and count your blessings. I have to say it made me wonder what century the author belongs to. Has she not come accross such icons as Jerry Hall, Sharon Stone, Madonna and the like, or know ordinary successfull women who still look great and dress well. I took particular exception to the part that advises readers to get fatter and buy more comfortable clothing. Aslo, it is not particulary well balanced in that there is no more than a sentance on the benefits of natural progesteron despite an acknowledgedment throughout the text that the side effects of HRT are mostly the result of synthetic prostogens. The book is now in the bin.
on 15 June 2010
It is probably really difficult for medics to embrace wisdom knowledge of women when their professional lives are so governed by positivist stances. Many of the difficulties of the menopause can be looked at from other perspectives - look at what the doctor didn't tell you about the menopause/premenopause for a good understanding of why women in the west have more problems than our sisters in the east. Also find a good source of natural progesterone that gives our bodies what they crave and that they can use in the ways needed.Natural Progesterone: The Multiple Roles of a Remarkable Hormone (2nd Edition)
on 15 December 2011
An amazing book that's such a help at whatever stage of the menopause you are at. Easy to follow and covers everything you need to know and helps you deal with this difficult time of your life. Highly recommended.
on 25 August 2009
this book was very informative and useful. it just sets your mind at ease that the menopause is a natural process and that you're not going mad!
on 24 March 2014
this book was ok but i wouldn't necessarily rave about it to others. Didn't really know what to expect when i bought the book.
on 18 March 2014
If you aren't depressed already, you will be after reading this! The menopause is awful without having your nose rubbed in it!
on 18 August 2013
Dr Miriam does it again, I loved her pregnancy book and this is just as no nonsense, reassuring and helpful.