5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent
An Excellent source of information, and pictures, at every stage of pregnancy. Advice on "what you may experience and why" is clearly laid out. A real must for expectant mums and dads to be.
Published on 29 Nov 2000

2.0 out of 5 stars It's OK but there are far better books
I wasn't very impressed by this book - if you're looking for a general book then the Pregnancy Bible (written by a team of experts), which I bought at the same time, is much better and more detailed.

Published on 22 Aug 2006 by Anna

2.0 out of 5 stars It's OK but there are far better books, 22 Aug 2006

In addition, this book annoyed me sometimes, e.g. rather than having the baby's week-by-week development, here it's month-by-month. Plus there's a certain amount of self-advertising (I'm sure she's wonderful, whoever she is, but that's not why I bought the book). And at the beginning a slightly strange suggestion that pregnant women should be eating liver -- everything else I've read says you shouldn't!

Basically, it's OK but why buy it when others are so much better?

3.0 out of 5 stars OK to start with but not detailed enough, 24 Aug 2006
F. Green "avid reader" (stratford upon avon) - See all my reviews
I found this book a little bit lacking details. It mentions none of the common symptoms of pregnancy, like bleeding during pregnancy or the early pains felt during implanation. Consulting this book for the symptoms I suffered was not useful at all.

It doesn't really look at variances in pregnancy at all, like weight loss instead of weight gain.

Not a great purchase really.

1.0 out of 5 stars Give this one a miss, 18 Jun 2006
If you are looking for a good pregnancy guide give this one a miss. If you want an example of why check out the chapter on "Food and Eating in Pregnancy". It sets such a high standard of vigilance, time and effort that most women who lead busy modern lives (in fact any woman who doesn't have an in-house chef and nutritionist) are bound to "fail" Dr Miriam's strict rules. It's a theme that continues throughout the book. I would look out for something that takes a more common sense, practical and balanced approach to modern pregnancy. This book only serves to make you feel stressed, guilty and inadequate and for no good reason. Good Luck. A good sensible book on this topic is hard to find.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 29 Nov 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Dr Miriam Stoppard's Conception, Pregnancy and Birth (Hardcover)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good illustrations, 10 Jan 2014
I found this book very good to help me prepare for the birth of my baby. It was simple and had clear illustrations that helped me explain what was ahead to my husband! I felt prepared about all the procedures that can happen at birth.

2.0 out of 5 stars Unhelpful, 29 July 2013
When you find out you're pregnant, your natural instinct is to read about (or Google) everything that could go wrong and worry yourself sick. If you enjoy scaring yourself silly, this is the book for you.

This book offers no encouragement or guidance and reads more like a medical textbook written by a stern matronly figure. It has no warmth and is very dated in parts. Much of the advice is now being replaced.

Personally, at 6 weeks pregnant, I didn't need to know all the different ways an episiotomy could be performed. At 30 weeks, I didn't plan to stumble upon a chapter about still birth while looking for advice on breathing exercises. OK, I guess it's cool to know what a ventouse looks like, but there's a difference between sensible preparation and panicking yourself for no reason, and I don't think this book is useful in that respect.

Finally, some of the advice here is very patronising and/or downright ridiculous. For example, Dr Stoppard has included a handy list of hospital bag essentials that includes eau de cologne. Eau de cologne??! Please buy a modern book and skip over this old-fashioned rubbish.

5.0 out of 5 stars Informative, 20 Jun 2011
brought this for my daughter in law and she was more than pleased with it, lots of infomation and some good pictures of various stages of pregnancy.

5.0 out of 5 stars The must have book!, 4 May 2010
I bought this book when i was pregnant with my daughter and it was such a help,easy to understand and well illustrated!
It's very well layed out and i loved the fact that you could follow your progress along with the book as well as answers to lots of obvious questions! I bought this book on this occasion for my brother as he is expecting his first and he has found it so helpful and really interesting, it's certainly opened his eyes to alot of things!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what i needed!!, 10 July 2008
H. Briggs (England) - See all my reviews
I can honestly say i found this book invaluable during my pregnancy!
Ignore the other reviews, it has all the details you need and i didn't find another book more helpful without enormous amounts of pointless writing. Plus i loved the pictures of a bump growing bigger during each stage through out the book - it helps you realise you do look normal after all lol. Great buy!!

4.0 out of 5 stars less of a medical bias than some, 19 Mar 2008
I liked this book - I also looked at the Lesley Regan one, but found this had better coverage of natural birth options - the Regan one has just one page on homebirth. This book gives more even coverage of options. I agree with other reviewers though that the editors updating it missed some points - there is also conflicting advice on eating peanuts, and I found the nutrition chapters unnecessarily complicated. But I'm still giving it 4 stars because generally I liked the layout and content, and it had a positive and holistic approach. For those who are more inclined to a hospital birth, you would probably find the Regan one more comprehensive and helpful.

Dr Miriam Stoppard's Conception, Pregnancy and Birth
Dr Miriam Stoppard's Conception, Pregnancy and Birth by Miriam Stoppard (Hardcover - 27 April 2000)
Used & New from: 0.01