5.0 out of 5 stars Best Chinese cook book I have yet found - excellent
This is the first cook book where my finished dishes actually looked like the photographs. The information given is precise and well photographed, everything from how to cut the vegetables and meat correctly to cooking techniques and menu suggestions. If you have never cooked a successful Chinese meal before, this book is the answer.
Published on 23 Oct 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars OK
A good enough cookbook so far as it goes.
Would have preferred more stir fry recipes & less proprietary herb mixes
Published 14 months ago by yank

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Chinese cook book I have yet found - excellent, 23 Oct 2000
By A Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Real Chinese Food, 9 Feb 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Yan-Kit's Classic Chinese Cookbook (DK Living) (Paperback)
This is a tremendous book - I have trying to cook "authentic" Chinese food for the last few years (after living in China) and this was the best book I have seen. Clear instructions, good selection of dishes and dishes that taste really good. Try the spring rolls, "fish fragranced" pork (really!) - you won't regret it....

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic!, 17 Dec 2002
This review is from: Yan-Kit's Classic Chinese Cookbook (DK Living) (Paperback)
For years I have relied on Ken Hom, and now I finally have a worthy addition to my small and intimate selection of cookery books. This is non-pretentious, non-bloody-fusion food set out in clear, easily followed recipes with lots of pretty pictures. The best section is the themed bit at the back, especially if you are already fairly confident with the techniques and tastes of Chinese cookery, but the whole thing is great.

5.0 out of 5 stars The book's a classic as well - still the best, 22 Feb 2010
I bought this book the year it was published (1986) along with that other great: Marcella Hazan's Classic Italian Cooking. Together they were my opening to proper cooking (as distinct from curries) and, 24 years later, I still use both regularly. As a result the stain coverage on the pages is quite remarkable, must replace them soon before the recipes are obliterated completely. It's wonderful to see that this book is still in print but then it deserves to be. All the compliments in the reviews here are spot-on: it's clear, simple and concise, cooking the recipes here will teach you the fundamental techniques of classic chinese cooking as well as how to make incredibly tasty food. You will achieve real Chinese dishes not fancy fusionist stuff for pretentious newspaper food critics nor dumbed down travesties promoted by some easy on the eye babe with a TV series and a book tie-in. One thing I remember from when it came out: shortly after there came the first wave of Chinese restaurants outside London that moved away from the sweet and sour and chips stuff towards real Chgines, most of them featured the dishes you will find in this book.

The late Yan-Kit was a woman of grace, intelligence and substantial learning and it shows in the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars The BEST cookbook I've USED!, 23 Feb 2011
Let me preface this by the fact that I generally know my way around a kitchen and a cookbook for that matter. I can make small adjustments to recipes to account for say a smaller shallot or a larger garlic clove. And I have also eaten an enormously large amount of "Chinese take out". That having been said, I have attempted and FAILED miserably, (don't tell anyone except those unlucky to have sampled these attempts), to cook the simplest Chinese meals (fried rice, sweet and sour chicken, etc.). I had given up until I came across this book while trying to order Thai Street Cooking (another amazing title btw!) and feeling a little overconfident I ordered this book.

I just got through my first meal (Kung-pao chicken and fried rice) and WOW! The book is extremely well laid out, covering all the ingredients that appear in the book with PICTURES in case you wondered what a flowering green cabbage or mushroom called "cloud ears"looked like. The book goes on to succinctly describe preparation techniques with a plethora of pictures and explanations that are extremely easy to follow. The book includes all the recipes that I would have known to ask for including a few that just look delicious and I have never heard of. Each recipe has a finished look picture. (My kung-pao looked the same save for the different style dish!!!!). And as if that were not enough every word/ingredient you don't understand is explained again in the glossary! and Index to help you out.

For me it was as if the shackles have been broken and I can finally start to cook this elusive cuisine. I wish I wasn't full right now, as I am dying to take my chances with a Beef with Oyster sauce. And I am also planning on unhooking my wind chime to make space for drying out a peking duck for this weekend (pg. 198). Yeah! I cant believe it myself but it just seems so easy with this book! Peking DUCK with all the trimmings!

Thank you Yan-Kit so much for this perfect cookbook!

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious, 1 July 2007
My husband is a great cook and I wanted to get him a chinese cookbook. You are never too sure with some cookbooks because of the very little detail, however I took my chances. He has only used it a few times but each the food is delicious. It has a lot of pictures when it comes ingredients required and how to prepare them. As well as chinese cooking, it also has recipes from other regions - cantonese, shanghai..... I feel it is a good choice and would recommend it to others

5.0 out of 5 stars China's Delia Smith, 9 April 2009
E. Marsden "E Marsden" (Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This is a wonderful book. I bought it after picking up my boyfriend's mum's copy and not wanting to give it back! It is truly brilliant and reminiscent of Delia Smith's 'beginner' series of books, as it shows chopping techniques, equipment, clear pictures of ingredients and their uses. It is a fantastic introduction to Chinese cooking, diverse, easy to follow and with excellent illustrations. It is also traditional, unlike some Chinese cook books which tailor ingredients and techniques to a western audience, this gives the original ingredients - but with suggestions to more palatable or more easily acquired ones where appropriate.
Highly recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars Authentic Chinese cookery, 17 Feb 2007
E. Lee-Kingdon "fellow foodie" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Of the many Chinese cookbooks I've flipped through or owned, this one is by far the most authentic, easy-to-follow, and yields great flavoursome results. There are dishes in here that my mom would serve at dinnertime, and Yan Kit-so cooks like she is from the motherland. I have gone on to collect the rest of her books, as I think she's not only a great chef in understanding how to deliver a solid recipe, but also she possesses a clear understanding of Chinese cuisine and its flavours. Top choice!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not another Chinese cook book, 1 Oct 2009
Seltech "Paul" (Scottish Highlands) - See all my reviews
I saw this book on Amazon after something pricked my memory regarding the name from a long time ago. Although dead now, Yan Kit left behind quite a legacy of recipes and techniques. I have several Chinese cookery books, some relating to my time spent in Hong Kong in the early 1980's. I decided that this may not be just another cook book so ordered it from Amazon, it arrived very quickly, even though I live in the Acottish Highlands.
The book is an excellent balance of technique and recipes based on experience and a desire by Yan Kit to write an authentic book on Chinese cooking. It achieves this beautifully and when I found a recipe slightly different to one that I had cooked many times before I immediately tried it. It has now become a firm favourite of my wife and I.

I can thoroughly recommend this book to anyone who wants to cook authentic Chines food.

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful, 13 Sep 2010
We have so far tried the sweet and sour pork as described in the book. Ingredients were easy enough to find (most stuff available in normal supermarket - we had the impression that some original ingredients may have been substituted for ingredients that are easier to find in the UK); and the instructions were easy to follow. The result was fantastic, better than at the Chinese restaurant! 5 stars so far!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Yan-Kit's Classic Chinese Cookbook (DK Living)
Yan-Kit's Classic Chinese Cookbook (DK Living) by Yan-Kit So (Paperback - 18 Jun 1998)
Used & New from: 0.01