5.0 out of 5 stars A Significant Step Towards Social Networking
Published 8 months ago by Manfred

3.0 out of 5 stars boring
found this book boring, ok I would guess if you're interested in facts and figures, personally I didn't enjoy it
Published 7 months ago by Mrs. Pj Parnell

5.0 out of 5 stars A Significant Step Towards Social Networking, 12 Dec 2013
That's hardly a title you would expect. It is, however, easy to see the link between the development of the coffee shops and the expectation that we want to share our thoughts and interests with both friends and strangers. This is a short but comprehensive history book that is both interesting because of its factual content and relaxing because it is so easy to read and quick to finish. It is also a very interesting portrait of a society which was very different from our own in terms of comfort and amenities but that bore the familiar stamp of our contemporaries, giving high place to gossip, rumour and argument with limited reliable facts but it was also a place where very serious business was done and political ideas were developed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating insight, 4 Dec 2013
This book disappeared as quickly as a bar of chocolate! I so looked forward to reading it. Lots of interesting facts and insights into how the City of London works today. Highly recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars A Potted History, 4 Dec 2013
Very interesting little book about the history of coffee shops, told I a very readable and informative way. Lots of historical points.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great historical gem, 27 Jan 2014
I couldn't stop reading this book. It paints a very clear picture of bygone days and people. I may return to this again sometime.

4.0 out of 5 stars A potted history of our coffee shops., 12 Oct 2013
Julie Vanberkel (United kingdom) - See all my reviews
Though not a coffee drinker, I am interested in the 17th century, and found this little gem most interesting and informative. Concise, and easy to follow, you almost can hear/see/smell the goings on there, it was so evocative! It was well worth the little I paid for it to get a flavor of bygone times.

5.0 out of 5 stars pointless but the convenience of instant acquisition is wonderful., 27 Jun 2014
Short and fascinating account of the role of coffee shops in history in Britain. An advantage of e-books is that you can have a copy before your eyes before the TV from which you learned of it has finished. star ratings for historic documents of this kind are, of me, pointless but the convenience of instant acquisition is wonderful.

5.0 out of 5 stars 17th century coffee shop, 23 May 2014
Being very interested in history this book was absolutely wonderful, I could not stop reading it, so much information on how coffee shops came about and helped pave the way for other businesses to come about. I would recommend this read to anyone interested in our history.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, 17 Feb 2014
If like me you have read in various books about people frequenting the Coffee Shop of this era, then I would say that it gives much more of an insight into what made these Coffee shops the place to be. It also gives a real idea of the atmosphere in these places. It is what it is; the title says it all really, but I would recommend it to people who want to relate to and understand more about the early Coffee shops.

3.0 out of 5 stars boring, 21 Jan 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 29 July 2014
I learnt something here. An interesting read.

Life in a Seventeenth-century Coffee Shop (The Sutton Life Series)
Used & New from: 0.01