5.0 out of 5 stars Helps you to celebrate a traditional Christmas today.
Published on 5 Dec 2005 by Smudger

3.0 out of 5 stars Good to understand the traditions of Christmas
A good taster and insight into Christmas, but a little too light for my reading tastes. A short book that scrapes the surface of the medieval Christmas. Still it was a great book for what it was.
Published 13 months ago by The Saint

5.0 out of 5 stars Helps you to celebrate a traditional Christmas today., 5 Dec 2005
This review is from: The Medieval Christmas (Hardcover)
I had the privilege of viewing this book before making the decision on whether to purchase it. The first thing that struck me was the warm-look of the cover which in itself made me want to look inside the book. These days we take so much for granted that we never ask "why do we do that?" This author has obviously carried considerable research and come up with countless nuggets of information that give us the background to a traditional Christmas which started in medieval times. Learn about the origins of Holly and Ivy and what food they ate back then. There are many surprises in this book and it holds your interest from page 1.
Sophie has included recipes so for those adventuresome types they can try and re-create Christmas in culinary respects.
Personally, I do not always look backwards and say the old times were better than now, but I do believe we have so little ritual in our lives that in many respects living in today's society we have lost our meaning.
This book will help you to celebrate Christmas for your family with pleasure and that might well include switching off the TV to play traditional games.
All in all, I can thoroughly recommend this book. You can place it on the coffee table and delve into a chapter at a time. It is so attractive that guests are almost bound to pick it up and find something of interest.
A lovely and interesting book to own

3.0 out of 5 stars Good to understand the traditions of Christmas, 25 Sep 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the cover, 25 May 2013
This review is from: The Medieval Christmas (Hardcover)
I was researching for a lectuer on the history of Christmas and Father Christmas. This little book shows just how much our modern Christmas has its roots in medieval times

5.0 out of 5 stars The medieval christmas, 1 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Medieval Christmas (Hardcover)
This book is very interesting, but then I am slightly biased as this book is written by my cousins daughter

The Medieval Christmas
The Medieval Christmas by Sophie Jackson (Hardcover - 20 Oct 2005)
Used & New from: £0.38