Format: Paperback|Change

on 3 March 2008
I bought this book to further my knowledge of Reinhard Heydrich and the role he played in the Nazis' Final Solution. I am a history student and as Heydrich features in my dissertation I was eager to get this book seeing as it had a whole chapter dedicated to the man. However, there is precious little information about Heydrich and the conception of the Reich Security Main Office under him. There is no use of sources, such as the orders Heydrich gave to the Einsatzgruppen when the Nazis invaded Poland. Unfortunately, the same can be said of the rest of the book. Although the sensationalist style (it is written by a journalist) may be enjoyed by some people, I personally found the writing style to be boring and presumtuous. There are very few historical arguments included and what the author may term as primary sources (from relatively unknown sources!) are inserted within the text in grey boxes, seemingly at random! This makes it difficult to keep the flow of the text going and is annoying as they are sometimes unrelated to the main topic.

If you know little or nothing about the SS and want to improve your knowledge then this book might be worth dipping in to, but don't bother spending too much time on it. There are so many well written and informative books written on this subject and I would recommend all of them above this. If, like me, you know quite a bit about this subject then steer clear of this book.
on 9 May 2011
A very well and thoroughly researched publication. Guido Knopp at his best, although his documentaries on the TV are even better.
Very informetive and detailed history of the SS from begining to end.

After reading the book I visited the site of the Gestapo headquarters in Berlin which now holds a permanent exhibition called Topography des Terrors. Everything falls into perspective.
on 14 December 2013
I buy these books for my husband and he tells me he has enjoyed it. As they are of no interest to me I can't give you any more info.