5.0 out of 5 stars The true star of Astronomy!
This is the best read I have had for years! This marvellous Autobiography certainly depicts Sir Patrick's truly amazing character. This new and revised paperback is full of phenomenal stories and memories. My favourite part of the book is when Sir Patrick describes his meeting with Albert Einstein:
"Einstein was a talented violinist, and on this occasion he had a...
Published on 16 Feb 2005

3.0 out of 5 stars Unique character, good book.
Mr Moore is certainly an usual character and this comes across strongly in his autobiography.

The book goes through his life, focusing particularly on his involvement in the world of astronomy. He has certainly been prominent (and remains so, even in his old age) in this field and the book explains this and his TV career, well. Although the book is roughly...
Published on 11 July 2008 by Mr X

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Apparently a good read., 8 Jun 2012
Mrs. Jean Nash (Lancashire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Patrick Moore: The Autobiography (Paperback)
This book was bought for my husband, who admires Patrick Moore. He has enoyed reading the book so far, not quite sure whther he has finished it yet. But all in all its a good book about his life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Patrick Moore - The Biography..., 12 Nov 2010
This review is from: Patrick Moore: The Autobiography (Paperback)
After having read this remarkable book, I agree with all the other befitting reviews:

Sir Patrick Alfred Caldwell-Moore, CBE, HonFRS, FRAS, seems to be a fixed point in a changing generation - a man of immense intelligence, integrity and wit.

I can only add, that to get to know an author, one must read their work; therefore, I advise you to read this most interesting, educational, warm-hearted, witty and very refreshing book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Patrick Moore: The Autobiography, 24 Mar 2013
Patrick Moore: The Autobiography on Kindle is an informative insight to an interesting man. Easy to read the fonts on screen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Patrick Moore Autobiography, 18 Mar 2013
This review is from: Patrick Moore: The Autobiography (Paperback)
Having read the Kindle version and having enjoyed reading I brought this book for my son hoping he would enjoy it too

5.0 out of 5 stars Patrick Moore Autobiography, 18 Mar 2013
I enjoyed every bit of the book and found it very, very interesting and quite informative. The book is definitely worth a read.

4.0 out of 5 stars A one off, 20 Jan 2013
This review is from: Patrick Moore: The Autobiography (Paperback)
'The Sky at Night' is a programme which has fascinated me for years. It was so sad to hear in December that the many thousands who, like me, delighted in the programme, would never again see Sir Patrick Moore in his element. Since his death, many tributes have been made by those who knew him intimately. It is clear that he touched the hearts of so many, and in particular the multitudes of young people who were inspired by him to develop a love for all things astronomy. Though I did not know him, I too found him to be a truly remarkable man - a rare gem of a human being.

So rather belately, I have been prompted to read his 'autobiography', written 10 years ago when he was in his eighties. What an enjoyable read - full of energy and enthusiasm and fascinating material. What impressed me most were the chapters on astronomy, which clearly conveyed his enormous enthusiasm for the subject, and conveyed it in a way which communicated so effectively with the reader. I also very much enjoyed his accounts of the other loves of his life, principally - his mother - his friends - his young prodigies - his cats - cricket and music.

However he has clearly not told us the whole story. Though he states that it would have been of no interest to the reader, I would have loved to have heard more of his childhood and his wartime experiences. So often, those early experiences give strong clues as to what makes a person tick. Of course, Patrick was perfectly within his rights to with-hold that information - so I suppose we will have to await a biography to learn more.

What I found less impressive were the chapters which related to his pet aversions, which appear to be - foreigners, women and a great swathe of people whom he disparagingly labels 'politically correct'. I was left unsure whether he was just trying to be amusing or whether he had really thought through some of his utterances. And there are apparent contradictions. For example: a very young Dr Heather Couper can write to him to ask whether being a girl is a handicap to being an astronomer and he can write back to reassure her that it certainly is not. Yet he can later express his dislike for 'all female radio newsreaders' and claim that 'third-rate women' are 'promoted over more able men'. In expressing his general dislike for politicians, he can describe William Hague as 'a twerp of a leader', yet later refer to receiving a '... charming letter from WH, then leader of the Conservative Party'. Perhaps understandably given his wartime experience, he can repeatedly express an enduring hatred for Germans, yet when he later met von Braun, the Nazi inventor of the V2 rocket, he expresses surprise that he felt 'no sense of instant dislike'.

Other reviewers find Patrick's aversions amusing. I found them at best irritating and at worst potentially sinister, but I have to say that in other ways I found his many achievements totally impressive. He was clearly warm hearted and kind to so many people. He was modest and self-effacing. He was generous to a degree. He was a very good writer. And he brought pleasure to thousands, including myself. Overall, I liked this book. I shall read more of his books. And I eagerly await a biography - but who to write it?

5.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 20 Feb 2014
It's sad to see Patrick has left us now but if you want to 'meet' him give this a read. A true English gent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Patrick Moore's autobiography, 22 Jan 2014
I loved it! This amazing man had such a wonderful way with words, and many times I found myself laughing till I cried at his wit and dry humour. It's a fascinating read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Allows a better understanding of the man himself., 21 Dec 2013
When Sir Patrick died, a while ago, it came to light that some thought of him as a racist, possible because of various remarks made by himself in the media. When you read the book, however, it becomes evident that his stance on many issues were very much coloured by the Second World War. This is particularly interesting because although the events of that time most definitely shaped his future in some ways, they did not define his future.

This being said, the war is mentioned, really, only in passing at the beginning of the book; the rest is light-hearted, interesting and just makes you feel like upping sticks and going to live on Radio 4 somewhere. I enjoyed it immensely.

4.0 out of 5 stars Patrick. Moore autobiography, 23 Nov 2013
I liked the book because of detail it gave there was nothing I didn't like just a great read I would tell anyone to read it

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xa0bc4450)

Patrick Moore: The Autobiography
Patrick Moore: The Autobiography by Sir Patrick Moore (Paperback - 15 Feb 2005)
10.20