5.0 out of 5 stars Informative, witty, thoroughly enjoyable
Published on 27 Oct. 2000 by Stewart Hennessey

3.0 out of 5 stars Serious historians beware!
Published on 20 Mar. 2001

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Informative, witty, thoroughly enjoyable, 27 Oct. 2000
I can't believe this book hasn't received numerous glowing reviews; it is the best put together, funniest, history reference books I've read in years. This is the book for everyone who wants a dinner-party, 'gobbet' knowledge of the monarchy and their significant others. But it is more than that: not only does it give the reader a succint overview of the different royal dynasties from Egbert onwards, but it inspires you to find out more. I found myself cross-referencing entries with other reference books, reading historical dramas and ordering books featuring my favourites. I especially loved Hilliam's description of Charles II as the monarch you would most want to be on a desert island with. That's the kind of history you remember.

3.0 out of 5 stars Serious historians beware!, 20 Mar. 2001
By A Customer
This a fun, lightweight book and is an ideal introduction to the English monarchy. Serious historians should steer clear, however, as it relies heavily on anecdotes and urban myths. Richard I is just one of the kings to be labelled 'gay' without so much as a second thought. The author strikes an irreverent tone until he reaches the House of Windsor. At this point objectivity flies out of the window, to be replaced by a rather nauseating sycophancy. That said, this is an entertaining read and is probably not intended for a serious, scholarly audience.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a wonderful read.. more where this came from please, 17 Jan. 2002
I am a casual student of history with a particular interest in monarchs and their amusing idiosycnrasys, what a breath of fresh air this book was to read. It is so nice to get to the interesting facts without getting bogged down in a load of political or economic tedium.
What a shame a few pedants have chosen to gripe about a couple of minor errors that pale into insignificance when you look at the vast amount of research that has gone into this book.
A wonderful read, I can whole heartedly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Eye-opening and worthy, 9 Mar. 2011
Alan Burridge (Poole,, Dorset. United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kings, Queens, Bones and Bastards: Who's Who in the English Monarchy from Egbert to Elizabeth II (Paperback)
History at school in my day, and probably yours, was not a favourite. Our teacher, Miss Winnie Fennell (RIP), whilst knowing her subject, gave but a one-dimensional view of our Kings and Queens; all but Henry VIII, of course, who was a more colourful character for his both famous and infamous eight wives.
But this book gives a more honest, and three-dimensional description of the nobility of our heritage, painting a far more realistic and down to earth picture.
They had mistresses, illegitimate offspring, suffered wind, gout, syphilis; you name it; infact, they were human, just as we are. But school history lessons did not paint such vivid and realistic pictures; we either had no picture, or a very poor sketch. But David Hilliam has a far bigger and broader brush than Miss Fennell or anyone else, and these characters breathe new and far more interesting lives than we first believed.
This book is fascinating and well worth reading; recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite history book., 15 July 2009
girlwig (Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I've had this book for a few years now and have not tired of it yet. I love history and this book has not failed to please me. It's a book that you can dip in and out of, choosing a monarch or consort throughout British history. Ghoulish it may seem, but the section that I found most fascinating was the one concerning the dead bodies of kings and queens. And no, I'm not usually into death! It's not a book for academics but it is very readable and highly entertaining.

2.0 out of 5 stars Dubious, 30 Mar. 2012
I bought this at Westminster cathedral, I'm not impressed. It's lightweight and dubious. There are some glaring errors and things that historians have recognised as being open to interpetation are breezily stated as fact here. It's nugget sized history if you want it and a great idea. It's just not that well written and the author takes far to many liberties for my liking...

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, interesting, informative.... love it., 13 Mar. 2009
Ms. L. Washington "luce1976" (Herts, UK.) - See all my reviews
Really enjoying reading this, and will read it twice to take in all the info. Love it.

Have never been very academic, and never took an interest at school, but since getting older I am fascinated by the English Monarchy and it's history. This book is just the ticket.

5.0 out of 5 stars HISTORY IS FUN AGAIN!, 12 Aug. 2012
HAYLING BOOK & MUSIC VENUE (follow us on Face... (26 Rails Lane Hayling Island) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I sincerely hope the author gets to read this because I would so like to thank him for making history enjoyable again - not the way I was lectured at schOol.

This book is well written, concise and bowls along at a nice pace, holding the interest of the reader and drawing you into our royal lineage.

His easy style is a joy and for a factual chronology, it is very hard to put down!

Full of juicy, blood-curdling anecdotes, toe curling stories and some great moments of humour; if you want your kids to know the Kings and Queens, start them HERE!

1.0 out of 5 stars Lies and false facts, 15 Mar. 2001
I was totally diappointed with this book. It certainly would never deserve a 5-star review and I am loathed to give it even one star. It could have been an interesting reference book but for the consistent mistakes. Henry II was the son of Geoffrey of Anjou not Emperor Henry V. Many kings are listed as having been gay when there is flimsy evidence for William II, Richard I and especially, Richard II. The Lord Protector in Edward VI's reign was JOHN Dudley not Robert. Elizabeth I is described as a "perhaps willing" (pg. 221) victim of child abuse. These should not be allowed to pass in a history book. Please save your money, I wish I had done.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this book, 17 Mar. 2014
As a foreigner living in U.K. ten years I am interested in it history,so I started reading historical books and novels about
the rulers of this kingdom.
In this book I finally found them all in order of ruling times and important details about them.
After reading this book I am able to recognise one king Edward or Richard from another and do not mix them any more.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›