5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal reference book
Published on 30 July 2003 by Andrew Wilkins

2.0 out of 5 stars Confusing
Published on 27 Jan 2006 by Tom Wise

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal reference book, 30 July 2003
As the owner of a large building firm, I find that I have to spend an inordinate amount of time reading through the Building Regs to ensure that I am working in accordance with the so-called “recommendations for good building practice”. Whilst most of the advice contained in the Approved Documents is fairly straight forward and already widely used in the building trade, to meet specific requirements and satisfy the Building Inspectors requires a lot of background knowledge and research - time that I can ill afford. By pure chance I purchased a copy of ”Building Regulations in Brief” and it now accompanies me everywhere. The book has been put together in such a way that it makes it an ideal reference book to the regulations and no matter what part of the building works you need advice on, a quick glance at the index will take you straight to a section that explains the current status of the requirements and also shows how they can be cost-effectively complied with. A reference book like this has been long overdue. Well done.

5.0 out of 5 stars COST EFFECTIVE ALTERNATIVE TO FORKING OUT FOR THE REGS!, 1 Sep 2003
As a Civil Engineer working in a building services environment, I found this book to be an exceptionally useful reference book for guidance and interpretation of the 'Regs'.
“Building Regulations - In Brief” is true to its title and summarizes, succinctly, the requirements of The Building Act. It provides clear illustrations of contentious items and contains unambiguous, precise, easily understood detail and explanations of the current Building Regulations
Building practice, techniques, components and procedures are clearly defined with supplementary references to regulations and relevant standards. Laid out in a simple manner, it provides a quick to find reference to almost every aspect of construction - thankfully without pages upon pages of explanatory writing (which is a welcome change from other books on this topic that I have read!)
As well as being a valuable reference manual for construction professionals and DIY builders (working on simple projects such as building extensions and building adaptations), this book will appeal to architects, planners, surveyors, builders, designers, building control professionals, building inspectors, regulators and students. Certainly a cost effective alternative to forking out for the Regs!

2.0 out of 5 stars Confusing, 27 Jan 2006
Tom Wise (Richmond, VA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Building Regulations in Brief (Paperback)
I have tried to give this book time but I have come to the conclusion the problem is not just me. I do not enjoy reading books of regulations, but I really do not think the macro or micro approach of this book helps. Some areas such as bathrooms for disabled get pages but trying to find regs on the placement of standard sockets or thickness of joists defeats me. Could be me but my conclusion is that the dense text hides a lack of organisation and clarity. There has to be something more practical out there. Its not expensive and there is good information in it but it is, in my view, not the answer the write-ups suggest.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money!, 14 Sep 2007
I recently purchased this book and I have to say that I am not impressed!

Although the book may be of some use to people with little or no knowledge of construction, it is not suitable for construction professionals such as architects, inspectors and surveyors as it lists on the back of the book.

Although it would be almost impossible to produce a book which details every regulation, this book still leaves out important regulations that the average construction designer would get involved with. On top of that the diagrams in the book are complete copies of those listed in the current building regulations. Wouldn't it have been of some benefit to add diagrams which show different angles to the illustrations currently listed in the building regs?

The complete building regulations are available on electronic format from a number of sites on the internet for under 10. Construction professionals should save their money and opt for these instead!

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed., 27 Feb 2009
I thought I would give this book a chance - despite other's negative feedback and I'm sorry I did. As a reference tool, it's impossible to effectively use - with an impossible index, sending you on wild goose chases. Try finding 'safety glass' in the index and the relative area's and heights it must be used in to meet current standards ..(I lost the will to live! and found it in 5 seconds in Document N Building regs)... It's much quicker and easier to just turn to the Building Regs online versions. At least their indexes are user-friendly and with Acrobat Reader you can run electronic searches for key words and quickly scroll through the pages to clearly see what you need to. Sorry but very disappointed - I have lost a lot of study time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Saving You Time and Money, 2 Feb 2006
This review is from: Building Regulations in Brief (Paperback)
An easy to understand guide to the planning and building regulation minefield. I used this book not to try to become an expert on the subject myself, but to question a decision of 'experts' in the field. Very briefly my intention is to build an outbuilding as a hobbies/activity room in my garden. It was designed so as not to require planning permission, only to meet building regulations requirements. Because the proposal was nearer to a highway than the existing building, the local planning authority required a planning application together with a £135 fee. A quick check in Building Regulations in Brief index took me to page 149 '5.17 Outbuildings', and the statement that planning permission in such circumstances is only required if the building proposed is within 20m of the highway. A 'phone call to the planning authority pointing out that my proposal is 25m from the highway and therefore planning permission was not required was accepted by them and permitted development was authorised. It saved me a lot of aggravation and £135 into the bargain.

3.0 out of 5 stars Confusing, 28 July 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Building Regulations in Brief (Paperback)
Almost half of the 25-page index is under "Requirements -" with the items listed under sub and sub-sub headings. Difficult to scan your eye down and find what your looking for. Why not just list the items and put requirements as a sub heading if needed?
This is continued in the book where the top of each odd numbered page has the book chapter name. Would be useful to find your way around except it is "Meeting the requirements of the Building Regulations" for most of the book.
Personally I also found the page layouts confusing with much of the text shaded for no clear reason. Also the hierarchy of headings is not immediately clear.
Why split subjects by using appendices and why have a section "The requirements of the Building Regulations" separate from the main "Meeting the requirements...."? Lets have the requirements with how to meet them next.
Butterworth Heinemann must do better!
A grudging 3 stars as it does use illustrations often and does seem to cover everything.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap at twice the price, 7 Nov 2013
This is an ex-library book so some bits are out of date. The current regulations are free in their 'raw' format but are very time-consuming to follow. All the advice in the book is still relevant and really easy to find.

4.0 out of 5 stars Book Review, 7 Oct 2013
L. Mellor - See all my reviews
Although overtaken by changes in legislation this book provides an excellent insight into many aspects of building work and is a very useful starting point for a project.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spot on, 5 Mar 2013
All the data in a concise format that allows easy reference and accurate
Survey content. Well worthwhile to many trades that need the information
In an easy guide.

Building Regulations in Brief
Building Regulations in Brief by Ray Tricker (MSc IEng FIET FCIM FIQA FIRSE) (Paperback - 28 Jun 2005)
Used & New from: 0.01