5.0 out of 5 stars At Last - PIC's in plain English!
Published on 5 Nov. 2008 by Dr. Simon Dean

2.0 out of 5 stars NOT for the beginner, website doesn't exist
As a beginner, at first I thought this was a good book, then I tried to write some code.... well the website for the book does not exist ,http://www.to-pic.com/ so that left me to manually copy the code into ' PIC press ' which the book advises to download .... that doesn't exist either !

Complete waste of time, perhaps full of information for the...
Published 5 months ago by Jim

5.0 out of 5 stars At Last - PIC's in plain English!, 5 Nov. 2008
Dr. Simon Dean (West Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The PIC Microcontroller: Your Personal Introductory Course (Paperback)
This book is a joy to read. It takes the reader gradually through the range of PIC chips and gives clear and interesting examples of code and practical projects. The writing style is easy and relaxed - it even includes some witty asides! I was so impressed with this book - it explained things that Microchip couldn't seem to include in any of their web pages (nor for that matter did anyone else on the web). I had already bought a PicKit2 (with a PIC 16F690 chip) and, although it wasn't specifically dealt with in this book I was able to work out how to program and use it (and understand most of the chip's datasheet) having read the first 100 or so pages. I imagine future editions will include a section on the PicKit2 programmer. I wish I had bought this book a long time ago - it would have saved me a lot of frustration!

5.0 out of 5 stars Friendly writing style, 1 Mar. 2009
C. Beason - See all my reviews
I haven't got much (if any) experience with self teach PIC books but I needed to brush up on the topic for a university module. So I haven't really got anything to compare it to but I found this book very helpful, I'm only halfway through it but have actually enjoyed the method it is presented and found the writimg style casual and freindly without being forced.
All in all, a good book to get you started, like it says on the tin

4.0 out of 5 stars Well written text, 22 May 2008
This is the best beginner text on PIC microcontrollers that i have come across. It is well written and concise and does not use confuse the beginner with technical jargon and complicated ideas. There are numerous examples that can be implemented in hardware and/or simulated easily with PIC software tools. i would recommend this book to anyone who has or would like to begin microcontroller development.

5.0 out of 5 stars DUMDUM GUIDE TO MICROPROCESSORS, 27 Jun. 2010
This is the second time I have purchased this book (I donated my first copy to a local HIGH school)but soon realised that I had made a mistake. I would not hesitate to recommend this book as an essential "Primer" for complete beginners such as myself.
John Black
Flat 28 Three Crowns House
South Quay
King's Lynn Norfolk
PE30 5DT

5.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful, 21 Feb. 2010
A logical breakdown of all the internal workings of the PIC along with example code routines.
The style of presentation is clear and suitably paced even for those with less experience of
programming. I recommend this as a good starter course for the PIC.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good introduction to PIC and microcontrollers in general, 7 Nov. 2014
Really satisfied about this purchase. I was afraid that the content may be a bit advanced for me, as I have experience with programming but not with microcontrollers.
The explanation of the theory is more than comprehensive, and the reader really gets what he needs in the proper amount of pages. This is a thin book, and it goes to the point, but it also achieves to make you really understand.
Although it's about for PIC microcontrollers, it is a perfect starter generally for microcontrollers programming, for hobbyists with programming background.
I 'm really happy I bought and I read this book.

2.0 out of 5 stars NOT for the beginner, website doesn't exist, 28 Nov. 2014
Jim (UK north west) - See all my reviews

Complete waste of time, perhaps full of information for the experienced programmer , but as a beginner forget it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 1 Sept. 2011
I really liked this book. It was very clear to understand, and examples were fine. Exercises were challenging, and answers were provided at the end of the book. I found couple of errors in the book, like missing C1 and R14 values on page 86, and typos like on page 212 (2.19, _7SegDisp) missing "'".

In Finland this kind of book is probably not available anywhere but from Amazon (or similar web store).

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book which I wish I had discovered earlier, 1 Sept. 2014
Excellent book which I wish I had discovered earlier. It progresses through each programming topic in a clear and well written manner which aids understanding. From a no longer newbie perspective the book would have speeded the initial steep learning curve, but still has plenty to offer - thoroughly recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Decisions, Decisions . . ., 7 Oct. 2009
I'm not so sure about this book after revisiting it about 5 years after I bought my original copy.

My ex wife destroyed all my personal possessions, even those from childhood, when she broke a promise to hold my library until the marital home was sold. Therefore, I had to re purchase all my stock all over again; some irreplaceable of course!

However, I recently bought John Morton's book from Amazon when I recently decided to play with PIC's again and thought I remembered his book to be helpful. My overall view is that it is ok but not quite what I hoped it might offer on a second visit. The reasons are as follows:-

Firstly, I dont mind admitting I loathe Assembler! I can take to any other programming language like a duck to water but ever since I completed my first degree years ago, to this day I just can't get on with it! Therefore, personally speaking, I need an information source which guides me through the almost inpenetrable process of tediously pushing individual bits around an internal logic racecourse that is a PIC and hope to come up with some IO signal that is both meaningful and useful! This book doesn't get me where I want to be quickly or easily as it is full of mid-page jumps, interchapter references to other seemingly esoteric concepts which are covered in later chapters . . . all in all very confusing and hard to keep concentration and get the basic concepts in place before moving on through the more challenging projects later in the book.

Secondly, I am not by any means a proficient Assembler user! However, I am certain this book contains errors throughout and its thrown me off the trail several times and makes for a very frustrated learning process.

Thirdly, I would recommend potential "Assembler newbies" to consider other publications first, or maybe supplement the Morton book. I found that I made good progress (finally!) when I found a book which reflected the PIC I was working with. Therefore, the book by Michael Bates, "Interfacing PIC Microcontrollers Embedded Design by Interactive Simulation" is by far more relevant to start off my learning as it bases its whole gambit on the Microchip 16F877 as its learning PIC. Everything makes sense, or nearly does, once an understanding of the PIC architecture is made. This is not the case in the book by John Morton as he uses an different set of PIC examples.

However, John Morton's book DOES explain some concepts clearly and this is helpful and is not explained so well in other books. For example, I thought he efficiently explained TRIS well and the tedious function and purpose of the WORKING REGISTER, amongst other things. His basic schematics are helpful too and get the novice off to something more practical, to test their working programs.

Yet, despite the step-by-step attempt to guide the newcomer through the Assembler language; I felt it can add to confusion and subsequent frustration rather than promote swift understanding towards a efficient grip of the concepts.

Another book I feel may be of help is the book by Bert van Dam, "PIC Microcontrollers: 50 Projects for Beginners & Experts". This project incentivized approach, so to speak, helps give some practical purpose to the learning process and thus promotes enthusiasm without being so frustrated as Mortons bitty approach leaves one with.

Unfortunately, when all is said and done though, some hobbies can quickly consume pocket money, even for the basics and I find that choosing the right foundations to learning are the best way to make efficient and economical progress to pursue ones hobby at the outset. Whereas Mortons book is ok and useful, it by no means at all should be used as an exclusive reference to get you off the ground. If your budget can stretch that far, then I would recommend getting hold of all 3 of the books I've mentioned here to get your learning off to a productive start.

Regrettably though, there is no trial and error without cost in this process and once you buy a book, you're stuck with it initially and it's shame there is no "on-line" public library (here in the UK atleast!) where one can pick and chose the best book before purchase. I wonder if someone has come up with that idea yet?

Buy Morton by all means, as it's useful but also consider the others herein, as they make everything seem relevant in the learning process, especially if you are a beginner in Assembler like me. The quicker I can get off Assembler and working with 'C' to program my projects the better! However, gaining an understanding of Assembler and the internal workings of the PIC architecture are a useful if necessary step before doing so.

M.

The PIC Microcontroller: Your Personal Introductory Course
The PIC Microcontroller: Your Personal Introductory Course by John Morton (Paperback - 1 Oct. 2005)