Format: Hardcover|Change

on 18 August 2007
I thought it may be useful to write a few words why I put together this reference book and comment on various other reviews that are on the Internet. The book came about as heating controls developed from the 1970's from simple gravity systems to the more complicated fully pumped systems.From the time that I started wiring heating controls I gathered as much information as possible until I had an unmanageable amount, even having data that the manufacturers no longer held. I spent a lot of time photocopying the critical details including diagrams into loose-leaf folders for myself and other electricians that I employed from time to time. During the mid 1990's and with computers becoming commonplace I decided to produce a resource that all electricians and central heating engineers would find useful. It is aimed at qualified tradesman and not the DIY enthusiast. During my working career the book and its loose-leaf predecessor was in constant use and it is my firm belief that the book pays for itself after just a few referrals. Some reviewers have viewed the book as if it is a'Harry Potter' story whereas it is a reference book that will require consulting now and again much like an A-Z road atlas. There was nothing worse than turning up at a job for a programmer, motorized valve or boiler change late in the day to find that the customer didn't have the original installation instructions and neither did I. The book meant that the terminal and wiring data was readily available and time did not have to be wasted trying to trace the existing wiring or even worse, rewire the system. Hundreds of hours were saved due to having this resource to hand. The reason that I have given it 4 stars and not 5 is because it is virtually impossible to capture every item of information; however very little is omitted and I am confident that the book will be as useful for other tradesman as it was for me.
on 11 December 2008
I have owned this book for a couple of years now. This book is aimed at electricians or heating engineers, and is an excellent reference. It is not intended for DIYers looking to be shown how to wire up a central heating system.
The book is great for cross referencing controllers, valves, stats, with some good diagrams showing various heating wiring systems.
This book comes with me on every heating control job, and has paid for itself many times over!
on 29 October 2015
Excellent reference book for electricians and heating engineers(that understand electrics!). Diagrams and charts for programmers, stats, etc. Wiring diagrams for different system variations. I've had it for about 5 years and it's now looking well used! An update would be nice.
on 16 January 2012
A terrific book covering all the major boiler controls and wiring charts, A great help to fault find on new and the older systems, would recommend just to keep in you tool box.
on 14 March 2012
Hi this does what it says on the can! Perfect for heating engineers to keep in the van. Helps for repairs or fault diagnosis etc.
on 8 November 2009
Excellent reference book to refer to, everything you need to know re: central heating and control systems. Worth the money!
on 21 October 2011
Very pleased with this book, made a great gift for my partner who takes it everywhere with him.Great service throughout.
on 23 May 2015
A great reference book. Explanations aren't pretentious or over complicated. Ss easy and understandable.
on 28 October 2009
If your an electrician or heating engineer then this book is ideal, it gives a very large comprehensive list of manufacturers old and new wiring connections and wiring diagrams, there are no pretty pictures or basic guides on how to wire up a central heating system so if your not used to wiring diagrams then i would save your money and dont buy..
on 20 January 2015