Format: PaperbackChange

on 22 September 2010
This book is relatively short but the wealth of knowledge is fantastic. Before reading this book I read Electronics for Dummies, and while the "Dummies" book provided a basic introduction to the world of electronics, it didn't really satisfy my hunger for wanting to know how it all worked. This book is about half the size but the quality more than makes up for it. I especially like how it encourages you to experiment throughout the book and then quizzes you (with very well thought out questions) to make sure you understood the topic properly. It explains electronics in a clear but very complete way and after reading this, I feel that I have a much, much stronger understanding of electronics.

Edit:

When I left my review originally, I was half way through and the book seemed to decline in quality from that point. I would still recommend reading this book at some point but first, read Success in Electronics (Successfully Passing Series) as it's much clearer and much more complete.
on 26 October 2009
I've tried a few introducing electronics type books and found many of them to be pretty un-readable. This one is an exception as it is readable and informative. It's not perfect but it's a useful introduction which is both simple and takes the reader through a thorough grounding in the basics. The hands-on approach which encourages the reader to prove theory to him/her self by bunging components onto a breadboard and sticking a multimeter on them is good for making theory much easier to understand and remember. So much better than much of the competition that I've given it 5 stars.
on 9 March 2009
This is a great book. To admit one thing, I knew NOTHING about electronics. Coming from a software development background I wanted to see how the other side worked, and this book did an amazing job at explaining. Nothing could be done to make this book better, its perfect!
on 27 December 2009
Having read one or two "begin electronics" type of books over the years, I'd always come away bamboozled by the maths (my weak spot)and not totally convinced that since I did not want a career in electronics, but just to be able to make some interesting stuff in my spare time, that I *really* needed to know how many "pico thingys equal a mega thingummy when divided by the number you first thought of" anyway, - or that's how it appeared.

Refreshingly, here, the author is not assuming everyone has A-level maths (or the inclination or so little else to do in their lives that they have the time to go away and get one), and that some people might just want to be able to use their multimeter to check a circuit say, rather than go away and do algebra to find out what is happening, or that they might just want to have a general understanding of what is going on. This is great and has finally made the subject accessible to me.

The book tells you about a principle, then shows you how to demonstrate it for real with a few inexpensive parts (which really brings the ideas home to you when you see them occurring from something you have done), then has a quiz at the end of the chapter so you can see if you've grasped things correctly.

Like another reviewer has said, it's the way you wish your teacher had done things.

I've picked things up in minutes from this book that I've seen other books spend hours talking about.

The author has a conversational style, which also helps demystify the subject as he makes you realise that it is NOT rocket science at the level hobby users will use it - whereas it is often presented that way in other books.

I'd recommend this book as a first electronics book for any adult.
on 18 February 2014
I studied chemistry and physics many years ago and went down the chemistry road as a career, so was looking for a basic electronics book to get a new understanding of this complex subject. I bought this book and found the writing style to be very enjoyable; the subject matter does move along quite quickly and many of the complex fundamentals are omitted so as to gain an easier understanding of the subject. There are a few mistakes throughout the book which did niggle and slow me down a little, but all in all it is a really enjoyable introduction to electronics. I would highly recommend it!
on 30 July 2010
Although I have yet to read the book, I would refute one review where the the reviewer claims that the components are unavailable . I have today (30th July 2010) found all the components listed on E Bay at very reasonable prices.I suspect they are also available elsewhere with a simple search.
The book looks to be very useful to a beginner in electronics, which can be a very scarey subject unless clearly explained.
on 6 April 2013
This really is a book for the beginner. It offers information on the basic tools required then guides you through identification and purpose of the various components and methods of construction. Finally explaining Integrated Circuits both Analogue and Digital.
on 12 January 2012
if you wish for an electronic book that's not busy in terms of layout and approach, this your book. It approaches items individually and writes in a step by step manner.
on 31 January 2015
An excellent book and I would certainly buy it again. I started electronics 50 years ago but still
found useful stuff in the book for helping others get going.
on 14 November 2013
You could start knowing nothing about electronics and end with being able to put circuits together. highly recommended to anyone interested in electronics