5.0 out of 5 stars A really practical book on designing relational databases, 7 Aug 2006
Ian C. Taylor (Middlesbrough UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Data Analysis for Database Design (Paperback)
The best book I have ever read on relational databases in the 20 or so years I have been working in this subject area.
Its great strength is that it tackles all the really important issues in database design and demonstrates how to tackle them. It doesn't chicken out on anything.
After all, database design is so important - it can't be over-emphasised.
The author really understands the issues. Reading this book makes you feel happy and you will treasure it forever. Thanks David for making me happy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book for an introductory degree level text, 29 Mar 2003
This review is from: Data Analysis for Database Design (Paperback)
This was first noticed by myself as a new book at our college library and I was the (lucky?) first person to borrow it.
Once I got home and began reading this book, I found myself intrigued with the concepts that it describes. I am currently completing a BTEC National in Business Information Systems, and this was to prove an interesting way of understanding the concepts that make up a database.
The author is incredibly methodical in his approach to guiding the reader through the notions of schemas, data models, relationships and data structures to name a few. Each chapter is summarised with example questions and assignments to solidify the knowledge you gain with reading the text.
This book is written by an former Professor of De Montfort University, David Howe and provides an excellent insight into just how universities will expect any potential students to be able to construct answers to assigments. From someone who this year intends to begin his degree studies, I found this book informative, accurate and descriptive. What more can you ask for from a book?

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely helpful for professionals, 19 Dec 2012
Mr. P. R. Stanbridge "Stan_The_Man" (Gloucestershire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Data Analysis for Database Design (Paperback)
I agree with other reviewers that this is the most readable and useful book on database design (although I always recommend C.J. Date too). I have never found a book so useful in its explanations of normalisation, functional dependencies and most importantly, a whole chapter on connection traps!!! This is such an important but highly neglected topic and it is in this book that I became to understand just how important it is.

For example, a few years after reading this book In one of my projects I did see the demise of a 3 million software project when I discovered, just before implementation, several very subtle but fatal connection traps in the underlying design, but after all the code had been written it was not possible for the software company to rectify the problem without a complete re-write. Had the designers being steeped in the material of Howe's excellent book this type of design would never happen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Data Analysis for Database Design, 29 Dec 2011
This review is from: Data Analysis for Database Design (Paperback)
Learning to Pass ECDL Syllabus 5.0 Using Office 2007 [Paperback] doing exams are all and good but sometime you have to look where information started out from not from desktop compputer, light reading only, pointing to SQL script language to be used at the prompt by usrs to Analysis data retrieval methods. User language inferface:-
-Fortran.
-C.
C-++.
-Java.
-COBOL.
-Open Database Connectivity ODBC.
-Java Database Connectivity JDBC. webpages.

Data Analysis for Database Design
Data Analysis for Database Design by D. R. Howe (Paperback - 1 Jun 2001)
34.35