5.0 out of 5 stars An example says it all
I wanted to know more about 9001 - I hoped to introduce a QMS to our company. This book covered all the stuff that you would expect, but 2 things really made it shine. 1. It reassured me that the emphasis is on using a quality system and not on getting a certification - you can use it and get the benefits better if you don't aim for certification. 2. It actually...
Published on 15 Oct 2002 by MR G J DIAPER

2.0 out of 5 stars Fails to address fundamental change of approach of 9000-2000
If all you want is a book that tells you how to convert an over-documented, procedures based ISO 9000:1994 system to an over-documented, procedures based ISO 9001:2000 system then look no further.
Other reviewers have rated this book highly because it includes a fully documented ISO 9001:2000 manual and procedures, however, that is exactly why I rated it so...
Published on 23 Aug 2002

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the cover, 21 Oct 2003
Andy Mason (Leeds, W. Yorks United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ISO 9001: 2000 for Small Businesses: A Guide to Cost-effective Compliance (Paperback)
This books takes the jargon out of ISO9001. Easy to follow and includes a great Quality Manual that the aurthor will supply you in a soft copy to enable you to customise. The author doesn't just supply the book, he supplies support. I had a reply to my email within a couple of hours.
Thanks Ray, you've saved us a fortune in time and money.

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute lifesaver!, 26 Mar 2003
Richard Chemaid (rchemaid@aol.com) - See all my reviews
We were in the process of changing our current quality system to the latest (ie 2000) version of ISO 9001 and had employed a firm of consultants to help us set things up. Unfortunately the consultancy costs kept on escalating and instead of producing an updated version of our existing system, they seemed bent on making us conform to their “off the shelf” system. Although it had already cost us a lot of money in consultancy fees we decided to get rid of the consultants and try to develop the documentation ourselves.
Although there are a lot of books on the ISO 9001 standard, most of these don’t fully describe the standard and appear to only be a sounding board for the author’s views on his/her own experiences of management. Little more than a repeat of their previous work. It was, therefore, very refreshing to come across the no nonsense approach to this new standard as shown in Ray Tricker’s book, "ISO 9001:2000 for Small Businesses". Having described how the new process approach of ISO 9001:2000 is intended to work and explained the content and inter-relationship of process documentation, the majority of the book consists of an example of a complete Quality Management System (consisting of a Quality Manual, Quality Procedures and Work Instructions) that covers all the recommendations and requirements of ISO 9001:2000 and which can be easily customised to suit any business whether a small corner shop or a large conglomerate. Best of all, however, is the author’s very generous offer to supply a free softcopy of his generic QMS to anyone who has purchased the book.
Having taken up this offer, we were even more delighted to learn that the author was also willing to assist us in cost-effectively setting up our system by being available (on-line) to answer questions regarding his generic QMS, how to adapt it in practice and helping us with some of the general questions about quality. We were thus able to complete all of the work internally and (very importantly) at our own pace. We have now fully updated our processes and sailed through our first ISO audit without a problem.
For companies wishing to save money, I have no hesitation in recommending this book, it is an absolute lifesaver!

5.0 out of 5 stars Availability of example QMS, 21 Aug 2003
I have just completed the reading of Mr Tricker's excellent book "ISO 9001:2000 for small businesses" This book clearly explains the requirements of ISO 9000. Other publications and even courses I have been on have failed to do this as far as I was concerned. I like the practical approach and in particular the example documents that can be customised and used for installing and/or updating a Quality Management System. I have a small consultancy and the system will enable me to move forward with confidence

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you!,, 21 Aug 2003
We decided to purchase a copy of this book (as opposed to the many others that are available on this topic) as a direct result of having read the Amazon reviews. Not only does 'ISO 9001:2000 for Small Businesses' provide an exceeding informative, very clear and easy to read explanation of the aims of the new standard, it also gives purchasers the added bonus of being able to download an example of a generic QMS that they can quickly customise for their own use. We certainly have not regretted this decision to buy the book as it has saved us literally hundreds of hours of work and enabled us to quickly upgrade our previous procedural ISO 9002 system to the ISO 9001:2000 process format. With the aid of this book we successfully achieved this conversion with minimum cost and were successful in becoming Registered to ISO 9001:2000 at our first attempt! The author also provided us with an e-consultancy service on the lines of a HELP Desk, which must have saved us thousands in consultancy charges. All in all, 'ISO 9001:2000 for Small Businesses' has been far and away the best book we have every purchased. Thank you Amazon and thank you Ray Tricker!

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent publication which has saved us 1,000s!, 24 May 2006
M. Sutton (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
We bought this book as total novices to ISO 9001:2000 in December 2005. Within 5 months we have had a very successful pre-audit and are due for our final audit for ISO 9001:2000 accreditation in June! It would have cost thousands of pounds for an outside consultancy to do what this book has helped us with. We have had to make a few changes to the Quality Manual to fit our organisation, but the explanations in the book translate the whole standard into easy to understand language.

I would highly recommend this book to any small company wishing to achieve accreditation. Thank you Ray!

5.0 out of 5 stars This really helps!, 19 Feb 2009
Mr. C. A. Deegan (UK) - See all my reviews
This book is a must for anyone who is unfamiliar with the process to implement / achieve ISO9001. It gives a detailed, user friendly approach to preparing a scheme for your own organisation, plus some handy tips on everything associated with it. For organisations who are starting out with this type of requirement, it guides you through how to put together a compliant system without the need for expensive consultancy costs. As a small business starting on the ISO 9001 journey, we are very glad that we purchased it!

5.0 out of 5 stars ISO 9001: 2000 For Small Businesses, 29 Aug 2008
Brilliant book - key to new ISO implementation!

If I was to add some constructive criticism, then I'd have initially scored this book with Four Stars - I'd maybe have liked to have seen a "Getting Started" section (because, I'm perhaps a little inpatient...), but the help offered by the Author combined with the free supporting documentation easily pushes the score back to Five!

5.0 out of 5 stars ISO 9001: 200 Small Businesses, 1 Aug 2008
E. Favas (Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
As a small business this gives a good insight into what you need to do in order to start the ISO 9001 process. Its clearly laid out and easy to read. Its also a great help that we have access to templates to help create our own Quality Manual. This book is ideal for any Small Business where the person who is going to be responsible for implementing the Quality System does not have the job title Quality Manager but is likely to be carrying out several other roles, the templates will save time and assist you in putting the system into place sooner rather than later.

5.0 out of 5 stars Indispensible Guide, 24 April 2008
Having been involved with introducing and working with quality management systems over many years in the IT industry, I came across this book a year or so ago, and have found it an invaluable source of advice and guidance. As another reviewer has said, this simplifies and clarifies the whole process of designing, implementing and running a QMS to ISO 9001:2000 standards.

Definitely the best guide I have come across, it provides an excellent example framework to work with, along with clear, simple explanations of the ISO standard's requirememnts.

All in all, it makes what could be a quite daunting task for small businesses so much easier to achieve.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good framework, 7 Jan 2008
G. Ingram - See all my reviews
We used Ray Tricker's book to re-introduce a QMS system into the company after an MBO. This book gave us the framework necessary to do this and we are looking to achieve certification shortly. Buy this book if you want to take a serious look at quality but don't wish to swamp your company. Be pragmatic and realistic.

ISO 9001: 2000 for Small Businesses: A Guide to Cost-effective Compliance
ISO 9001: 2000 for Small Businesses: A Guide to Cost-effective Compliance by Ray Tricker (MSc IEng FIET FCIM FIQA FIRSE) (Paperback - 18 Dec 2000)
Used & New from: 0.01