4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining novel but a little lacking
Lord Nicholas St John is determined to get away from London and the simpering misses determined to catch him since he was named London's Lord to Land. So when he's hired to find a missing heiress in Yorkshire he jumps at the chance.

Published on 25 Nov. 2010 by josie82

2.0 out of 5 stars 10 ways to be bored!
When this book arrived from Amazon, I was soooooooo excited. I couldn't wait to curl up in bed and read it! Having loved Nine Rules I was anticipating a lovely, sexy, funny, heart-warming romance.

Published on 24 Nov. 2010 by StarPlayer

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining novel but a little lacking, 25 Nov. 2010
josie82 (Fife, Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

What he doesn't expect is to find Lady Isabel Townsend - daughter of a nefarious wastrel and the most enticing and infuriating woman he's ever laid eyes on.

Isabel has serious money worries and serious secrets that she's determined to keep. What she doesn't expect is that Nick could be the solution to all her problems and might uncover he secrets one kiss at a time.

Like another reviewer said, this book suffers massively when compared to MacLean's previous novel, Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake, which I agree was a truly wonderful read.

Having said that, I did actually quite enjoy this book on its own and although it didn't set my world on fire, it's still a well-written and fairly enjoyable tale to pass the time.

This book features Nick, the twin brother to the hero of Nine Rules... although the books do stand alone quite nicely and you don't have to have read the first one to read this one. Personally, I would have liked to see more of Gabriel and Callie from the first book but that's just me.

Both Nick and Isabel were likeable and sympathetic characters although I didn't feel any deep or memorable emotions either for them or from them. Regardless, I liked their interactions and thought they went well together as a couple.

I think the main problem with the story was that there was too much going on. With Minerva House, the love story, the secondary love story, the Duke, the boy Earl - there wasn't enough time dedicated wholly to Nick and Isabel to make me truly believe.

After all I've written I'm beginning to wonder whether I've been too generous with my 4 star rating. But when I look at the book as a whole I enjoyed reading it, it was well written and it captured my attention so I've decided to stick with the 4 stars. It's not the best but it's worth a look if you have it on your shelf or you enjoyed MacLean's first book. I also look forward to reading MacLean's next book Eleven Scandals to Start to Win a Duke's Heart which I'm hoping will be Leighton's story to continue the series.

4.0 out of 5 stars A heart warming romance, 21 Feb. 2012
This is the second book in Maclean's Love by Numbers trilogy, following Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake (Love by Numbers). It follows Nick, Gabriels twin brothers, who runs to yorkshire in a bid to hide from the marriage focused debutants and their mothers, and finds instead Lady Isabel Townsend, sister of an Earl, daughter of the infamous Wastreal, and a Lady with many secrets! Invited to come and appraise her marbles (not a euphinism), Nick and his friend Rock feel that something strange is happening in Minerva House, and they are going to find out what it is. However the more Nick stays there, the stronger his conflicting intrests are as he becomes more and more drawn to Isabel.
I did enjoy this book alot, the plot was intresting, there were background storys, the relationship between Nick and Isabel, was warm and sweet and passionate, but yet I felt there was such possibility for me to enjoy it alot more than I did. I felt as if Maclean tried to do too much at once and so didnt put enough focus on the main story of the romance and gradual love between Isobel and Nick.
However saying that, I did enjoy this book, and I do believe it deserves 4 stars, or at least 3.5, and i think one of the reasons it fell short was because Nine rules to break when romancing a Rake, was so good, this book had very high expectations to live up to. I am looking forward to reading the third book, Eleven Scandals to Start to Win a Duke's Heart (Love by Numbers), which tells the story of Nick and Gabriels younger half sister.

2.0 out of 5 stars 10 ways to be bored!, 24 Nov. 2010
StarPlayer (B'ham England) - See all my reviews

Instead I found this book hard going. I really struggled to read it, and only pushed on because I wanted to give Sarah a chance to weave her magic and because I absolutely LOVED Nine Rules To Break (my best historical read todate). I just kept on hoping it would get better.

It started well enough - though not as well as Nine Rules but, hey I really wanted to like it. Unfortunately, in the end I gave up and skipped a large chuck of the story. I just couldn't be bothered to read most of it :-( I really tried (honestly)!

I wish it was something that I had checked out of the library than actually purchased.

This book, though well written (the few chapters that I read anyway), was disappointing. Sadly, this means I won't be pre-ordering her next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 6 Mar. 2011
After reading "Nine rules to break when romancing a rake" I thought this author could not do it again, that is write another humorous romance that keeps you turning the pages. This is the twin brothers story out of "Nine Rules" for me this is slightly lower in humour than that book but it is still worth 5 stars. Nicholas,(an expert antiquarian in marbels) accepts a job tracking his friends sister who has run away, and arrives in Yorkshire and meets Isabel, a lady who has no money but has a large house and a lot of servants to keep she also has a collection of marbels for sale and invites Nicholas to value them. This is a easy to read love story with its its humorous moments and will keep you turning the pages, you wont need any A levels to understand the storyline but you will enjoy.
Try it.
Madge

4.0 out of 5 stars Ten Ways to be Adored, 17 Jun. 2014
Jenny, Wondrous Reads (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Ten Ways to be Adored When Landing a Lord: Number 2 in series (Love by Numbers) (Paperback)
Ten Ways to be Adored When Landing a Lord is the second book in Sarah MacLean's Love by Numbers and also the second of her books I've read. While it isn't quite as good as Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake, I still really enjoyed it and am now firmly a fan of Regency romance!

This book follows Ralston's twin brother, Nicholas St John, and what happens when he meets Lady Isabel Townsend. There's scandal, passion, romance and humour within their story, and they make a formidable team. Nick is an eligible bachelor with women fawning over his every move, and Isabel is the secretive daughter of a now-deceased wastrel. When their paths collide so do their feelings - and not always in a good way!

These two characters are fantastically realised and it's great to see more of Nick. He features briefly in Nine Rules but deservedly takes centre stage here. Isabel is amusing and headstrong, she knows exactly what she wants and won't be swayed by anyone, not even those she holds most dear. She has a lot of responsibility on her young shoulders but doesn't run away or try to get out of it - she's the kind of girl who Jane Austen would be proud of!

I love how Sarah MacLean can transport me back to Regency England and make me feel like I'm actually there. Her descriptions and characters make the era come alive and I'm genuinely sad every time I have to close one of her books. Her writing is lovely and immersive, making it easy for even me to read and appreciate. Although her stories are set many, many years ago, her writing is never difficult and, lucky for me, avoids reading like a classic.

I'm looking forward to reading many more Sarah MacLean books and I hope they're all as good as the two I've read so far. She really has opened my eyes to a new genre which I now love, so thanks for that, Sarah. Now, is there a Regency Anonymous club I can join somewhere? I'm ever so slightly addicted!

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed it!, 23 Feb. 2011
Having read the previous reviews, I almost didn't buy this book, but I did and am very glad I did. Enjoyed it thoroughly, believable characters and even had me chuckling out loud a few times. Looking forward to the next in the series..Eleven Scandals to Start to Win a Dukes Heart..

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing sequel, 30 Nov. 2010
D. Adams - See all my reviews
I so wanted to like this book but sadly it did not come up to scratch. Started well, plot was potentially quite good but somehow the story seemed to drag on. I find it difficult to put my finger on what wasn't right but somehow I just didn't feel the chemistry between the hero and heroine. There were also loose ties which never seemed to be linked in - the side story about the hero being most landable lord was potentially an interesting side story but yet it was never really remarked upon.

The only saving grace is I can't wait to see the story of the Duke of Leighton and his sister.

Due to the authors previous success I would keep an eye out for her books, but give this one a miss!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, 17 Feb. 2011
Detra Fitch (USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Set in 1823. After a popular ladies' magazine names Lord Nicholas St. John as one of "London's Lords to Land", Nick agrees to help the Duke of Leighton locate his runaway sister, Georgiana, who went north. Georgiana has a ten day head start and has covered her tracks well, but Nick specializes in tracking people. With his Turkish companion, Rock, by his side, Nick gladly leaves London behind. The hunt leads Nick to Yorkshire where he meets and becomes intrigued by an enigmatic female.

Being the daughter of a title wastrel, Lady Isabel Townsend is used to uncaring men. After her father's passing, Isabel continues to do what she has done for several years now: Care and protect those dwelling within Townsend Park, as well as her brother's birthright. Ten-year-old James is the new Earl of Reddich. Isabel knows that James needs a man to guide him, but no one is available. Their father certainly never cared about his heir and was never in Yorkshire. James also needs to go to school, but everything that had not been entailed to James is gone.

Townsend Park is also a secret sanctuary for ladies in need, fondly called the Minerva House. The house is filled with two dozen mouths to feed, all of which were females required to remain well hidden. In dire need of funds, Isabel decides to sell her collection of Grecian marble statues. Lord Nicholas St. John is a well known antiquarian, so when Isabel meets him in Dunscroft she is eager for him to view, value, and perhaps help sell her precious marbles. But Isabel must be wary. Should Nick learn her secrets, the Minerva House would be exposed and James's future could be ruined.

***** FIVE STARS! In a word, "WOW!" MacLean has a smooth, yet vivid, writing style that quickly caught and held my interest. Several intriguing characters, each with their own secret or two, caused my surroundings to blur. The real world seemed to fade away as I found myself pulled (unprotesting) into the lives of Nick and Isabel. No simpering miss here! This heroine does whatever needs to be done, including getting on the roof to fix leaks. Be prepared to spend several hours reading once you crack open this book. So order out, unplug all electrical devices, and lose yourself in this romance for an extended period of time. Highly recommended! *****

Reviewed by Detra Fitch of Huntress Reviews.

3.0 out of 5 stars gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood, 1 Aug. 2012
the story was about the other twin.It's always like that, when one is loud the other is very quiet. he meeets a girls wh owants to be loved and is helping other women in some social predicament. the story was bit sombre and it did not have that much of a verbal banter which is always nice to read. but all in all was not bad, just another love story

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, but nothing out of the common way, 5 April 2014
This was an okay read, but I find that I really dislike the female characters in Mrs MacLeans books. Infuriating, annoying and headstrong women! All her books are quite similiar, and too repetitive.
It was very clear that the author is American, and as the story is set in the regency era in Britain, that seemed somewhat out of place. When talking about land-dwelling chelonians, we say tortoise, not turtle!

Ten Ways to be Adored When Landing a Lord: Number 2 in series (Love by Numbers)