5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it
"Nine rules to break when romancing a rake" is a delightful and entertaining book that I loved reading.

Published on 15 Jun 2010 by Amazon Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars ARGH
Three reasons for my frustration;

One: I made a review earlier on the Kindle App but I forgot to press 'submit', and so I lost everything I had written...
Two: This heroine is really one of the most stupid, idiotic, stupid, careless, boring, ignorant fools ever (and did I mention STUPID?)
Three: I cannot, simply cannot, get my mind around why over a...
Published 17 months ago by Rebekka

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 15 Jun 2010

Lady Calpurnia Hartwell (that's really her name!) has always followed the rules of society and it never did her any good. She's nearly thirty and still a spinster without any hope to find a man she could love. Over the years she has accepted the role of a walflower and lost hope to lead a more satisfying life.
When her younger sister get's engaged Callie realizes that it's finally time to do something about the boredom in her life. She makes up a list with nine items that she wants to do but aren't acceptable for a single woman. Suprisingly the one man she has dreamed about for years turns out to be her partner in crime. Gabriel St. John, the Marquess of Ralston, wants Callie's help to intruduce his newly found sister into society. He soon realizes that Callie is so much more than a wallflower and is utterly fascinated by her. She is happy about his attention but still dreams of his love even though she fears that he will never be able to truly love her.

"Nine rules to break when romancing a rake" by Sarah MacLean is one of the best historical romances I read in a long time. The story is so lovely and I enjoyed reading about the characters right from the start. The plot is very entertaining and also unique. I love the idea of the list and how carrying out the items made Callie into a stronger woman. She is a great and very likable character and Gabriel is perfect for her. I loved how in the end he convinced her that she really is as beautiful on the outside as on the inside. Gabriel is a strong man who can have everything he wants in life. But he never misuses his privilege and he is really a very charning rake. I enjoyed all the scenes when Callie and Gabriel were together and I especially liked their banter and the sexy moments between them.
I also enjoyed reading about Callie and Gabriel's siblings and hope to meet them again in future books by Sarah MacLean.

So all in all there's nothing left to say besides that I think that Sarah MacLean is a fantastic author. I will definitely get her upcoming book "Ten Ways to Be Adored When Landing a Lord" which will be published November 1 2010 and is about Gabriel's twin brother Nicholas.

5.0 out of 5 stars Adorable, entertaining romance, 19 Jun 2010
josie82 (Fife, Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
At the ripe old age of 28, Lady Calpurnia Hartwell is firmly on the shelf. Relegated to the spinster seating at every ball and on the fringes on society, Callie is a little more than unsatisfied by her lot. So she vows to make a change in her life and do all the things that she's always wanted to do even if she has to break society's rules to do it.

But stealing a midnight kiss, smoking a cheroot, learning to fence and drinking in a tavern aren't as easy to achieve without a willing partner. And willing or not, the handsome rake Gabriel St. John, the Marquess of Ralston, soon finds himself caught up in Callie's adventures.

I absolutely adored this book and it's definitely one of the best that I've read in a long time. Gabriel is a delicious rake but he's such a rich character and it's so entertaining to see him almost baffled by his growing feelings towards Callie. Callie herself was such a refreshing heroine. She was so endearing and likeable that I felt really engaged with her and really rooted for her. Together the pair had the kind of chemistry that gives you butterflies in your stomach and makes you think about the story even when you're not reading.

The plot itself was witty, clever and so entertaining. Despite Callie undertaking scandalous tasks, the book never got ridiculous and you always cheered for Callie. There were times when I laughed out loud, times when I felt Callie's pain and times when I was almost giddy at the sweetness of the romance between Callie and Gabriel. There were also no clichés and the secondary characters were as rich and full as the main pair but without ever overshadowing the actual love story. Gabriel's twin brother, Nick, gets his own story in the next book, Ten Ways to Be Adored When Landing a Lord. I'm hoping that other characters that appear in this book also get their own stories in the future.

Overall this is a book that leaves you with a warm, fuzzy feeling. It's so well written and so engaging that you're sure to enjoy it and I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys a good romance. I will definitely be looking out for any new stories written by Sarah McLean. 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Romance Without Rules, 22 April 2010
Book Gannet (Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
After ten unsuccessful years on the marriage mart, Lady Calpurnia Hartwell has had enough. An impeccable reputation is all very well, but hardly what she dreamed of as a child. With her little sister about to marry, Callie is tired of false sympathy and impertinent comments. Perhaps the time has come to stop being so passive - and to take her fate into her own hands.

After all, she's never even been kissed! Luckily she has just the rake in mind to help her out - Gabriel St. John, Marquess of Ralston - who Callie's been in love with for ten long years. But when Ralston bargains for her help in return for a kiss, a new Callie is born, and it's time to have some fun.

Ridiculous, frivolous, funny and thoroughly enjoyable, Callie's adventures in the top tier of the ton are a delight. As a proper girl who has always done what's expected of her, no one could blame her for being tired of being good. Especially when it's done nothing for her. And the bold, frequently fearless way she sets about achieving her list with such romantic naivety makes her hopelessly endearing. She's no fool, she's just had enough of being ignored while life passes her by.

Ralston is a suitably handsome hero, seductive and sinful, with an awkward habit of turning noble at just the wrong moments. He's got enough shadows in his past to hint at being a tragic hero, but his cheeky twin brother and unexpected sister save him from angst. As does his indulgence for Callie's starts, no matter how ridiculous they are.

Pure fun from start to finish, with a sparkling historical setting, a touch of adventure, a hint of wickedness and bundles of romance, MacLean is a great addition to the genre. As for whether Callie achieves everything on her list... well, you'll just have to read it and see.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievably good!!!, 22 Aug 2010
"Brilliant!" "Fabulous!" These are the words that I kept repeating aloud while readung this book. It is an absolute joy. One of the best romance novels I've ever read. (...and I've read a lot) It's rich, novel and exciting. Fantastic plot. Fantastic characters. I wish I could "unread" it so that I could read it all over again!

5.0 out of 5 stars superbly paced romp, 2 Mar 2012
Ms. Lynne Perlin (Sheffield) - See all my reviews
I rarely write reviews but felt I had to in this case because I nearly didn't buy the book because I had severe reservations after reading the previous reviews and then loved it!

I found it was a light-hearted read that was well paced from start to finish. It was definitely fun and easy to read.
The main characters were a delight from their introduction and continued to improve on further acquaintance. I was worried that there would be no attention to historical accuracy if a gently-bred female was going to carry out the items on this list but the setting was perfect and there was meticulous detail about most of the period fashions and cusoms. I originally thought that the "9 rules" to break would end up by being repetitive but this was not the case and the plot lines kept me interested all the way through.

I do agree with one of the reviewers however - there were at least 3 "turgid" nipples in various scenes through out the book which I also couldn't take seriously but they did make laugh! Fortunately these were the only occasions where I felt the writing was in the least bit clumsy.

I would definitely recommend this book and am now off to buy the next one in the series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nine Rules to Break when Romancing a Rake, 16 Feb 2012
This is the first book in a trilogy focusing on the St John family. This book follows dedicated rake Gabriel, Marques of Ranston, and his relationship with Callie, a twenty eight year old spinster with a pristine reputation.
After an evening of revelation, Callie comes up with a list of nine things she wants to do to start living life: smoke, drink, gamble, shoot, have her first kiss... But these experiences are hard to do on your own, and so Callie needs a (reluctant) accomplice. Enter Ranston who needs someone to help bring his young half sister into society. A chance encounter ten years ago leads Callie to ask Ranston for help with her first list item, and a deal is reached.
With younger sisters, twin brothers, elder brothers, impulsive bets and a duel, there are several twists and bends in this entertaining romance, that made me laugh out loud several times , (all on the train, to the joy of the person sat next to me!) I really enjoyed this book and would recommend it to all historical fiction fans, and others! I have already broughtTen Ways to be Adored When Landing a Lord (Love by Numbers) and I'm looking forward to it immensely!
9/10 stars!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars I could not stop reading..., 27 Feb 2011
... just to nice at describing the emotions of our heroine :O) And at the same time fun and just an suitable amount of sex.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Read, 26 Feb 2011
attractivebookworm (Copenhagen, Denmark) - See all my reviews
I liked this books very much. I liked Callie's character. I loved the romance between the Gabriel and Callie.
I would recommend this book, if you enjoy an easy, not too complicated read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good romp, 31 Jan 2011
Typical of this style of romance. However it was well written and a pleasure to read. Good for a quick non-taxing enjoyable romp.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nine ways to write a love scene..., 16 Nov 2010
I loved this book. Engaging and really likeable characters which reminded me of the characters in Kate Allan's Perfidy and Perfection with a slightly older heroine who thinks she is now on the shelf and a very likeable rake. The writing was lively and it was a great, fun story and this all made Nine Rules the Break... a great historical romance read and I will certainly be looking out for more books by this new author and would recommend to fans of Julia Quinn, Stephanie Laurens, Teresa Mederios, Kate Allan etc. I would have given it 5 stars except for the love scenes which I found became boring and repetitive. I think there were just too many of them and the story didn't need them. I found myself skipping most of the love scenes because I was more interested to find out what happened next in the story.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake: Number 1 in series (Love by Numbers)
7.19