on 27 November 2013
I would recommend this book and it has a CD to assist meditation. It is easy to follow and has helped me to deal with the pain and helped me relax alot more. I find it easier to live in the moment now.
on 18 July 2015
Searching for something, anything that could help me cope with unbearable pain following a jaw operation that went wrong, I first came across this book in it's audio format on Audible (I have also since brought the paperback version through Amazon).

This was at a time in my life where I had unwittingly become addicted to prescription pain killers and lost all hope after losing my healthcare professional job, largely due to not being able to manage my pain levels adequately during the day. All healthcare professionals, including my Surgeon and my GP, seemed to have 'washed their hands' of me, as there was nothing more that they could do for me and I went through a period of unemployment and deep depression.

Many times I thought about giving up, however this amazing book and the eight week meditation program contained within it, gradually began to give me a renewed sense of hope that there might be a life worth living ahead of me. Even if I could not concentrate very well due to my pain, I would listen to the meditations several times over, I find Vidyamalas voice very soothing! Gradually I regained more of a sense of control and gained the strength to get back into employment. I believe in the effectiveness of this program so much that I have recently started the process of working towards becoming a certified Breathworks trainer. It is my dream to get to a position where I too can help other chronic pain sufferers see a way forward and start to relive their life.
on 9 September 2013
I loved this book. Not only does it guide the reader through an interesting and enjoyable mindfulness course, but it brings the practice to life with inspiring personal stories of people who have benefited enormously from mindfulness techniques. These stories provide a compassionate insight into everyday life, and how easy it is to lose ourselves when things get tough. Whether you've become distanced from your real self through stress, a pain condition or illness, this book teaches you mindfulness techniques that can put you back in touch with your true self again. It is thoroughly well written, in a very open and approachable style - reading it is like doing a mindfulness course with a friend.
on 11 October 2013
Having suffered with fibromyalgia, ME, chronic migraines and violent anxiety wondering what was wrong with me for the last 4 yrs and having tried almost everything. I found the original book "Living well with pain and illness" and within 6 pages I knew everything was going to be ok. So much so that I am now on week 3 of the Breathworks course in Manchester and I know with certainty that I want to become a Breathworks teacher so that I can spread the word. This new book is just the icing on the cake and so easy to read and understand. No mumbo jumbo. Enjoy the journey and remember, as Buddha said -Illness is nothing to be ashamed of. It is not a sign of misfortune or defeat. Suffering is the fuel of wisdom and opens the way to happiness. Through illness human beings can gain insight into the meaning of life, understanding it's value and dignity and strive to leave more fulfilling lives.
11 comment|62 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 September 2013
Mindfulness for Health makes mindfulness simple, practical and accessible. The programme can change your life and is easy to follow. For anyone living with pain or illness or experiencing aches and pains due to stress - get this book. Packed full of case histories, all the benefits are well illustrated. I liked the 10 minute meditations on the cd very much. Vidyamala Burch has spent decades developing the Breathworks programme that is the foundation of the book, and it shows. Not just nice theory, all the techniques have been honed through both her and Danny Penman's personal experience as shown in the way they talk about using mindfulness to deal with their own injuries. Highly recommended to anyone with pain, stress or illness or just wants to learn more about mindfulness and be shown how to apply it to life.
on 6 October 2013
I have read a number of books on mindfulness they were all really good, but this book gives you a different perspective by dealing directly with being in pain. Whether that pain is real like a broken limb or in the mind through stress etc, it's irrelevant, you are in pain and this book not only recognises that but it also gives people the right to address that pain. The best book I have read so far.
on 22 November 2013
Beneath this wonderfully accessible text lies an impressive depth of scientific research and the authors' extensive experience of managing their chronic pain. The guided exercises are easy to follow and the whole suggested programme is realistic for someone in pain or suffering stress and illness. I particularly liked the 'habit releasers'. The tone of the book is warm and down to earth, but also incredibly inspiring. This book goes beyond many pain management programmes in being both very practical and also engaging the heart. Learning mindfulness techniques and meditation is NOT about passively accepting your fate, becoming falsely positive or sitting cross legged on the floor for hours a day! By incorporating these Breathworks mindfulness practices into my life I am now happier and more connected with others than I was even before my accident.
on 7 February 2014
An excellent book with a very useful CD giving a variety of guided meditations. I love the sound of Vidyamala's voice and have listened to it hundreds of times on previous CDs that I have bought. To be recommended for anyone living with pain or stress. Mindfulness has become an essential part of my life. This book and CD have given me new ideas and exercises.
on 18 March 2014
Bought this book to help me cope with anxiety and migraine headaches. I am about halfway through and although there is no miracle cure yet (the book is more about gentle acceptance and removing the worry about your situation) I do feel more at peace with myself. The CD that comes with it is very good too.
on 10 December 2015
Well written and I'm sure it will help many people.

The audio meditation exercises are a key component. On the whole they are good, but I wonder if a little more thought could have been put into some of them. For instance, the body scan meditation includes an explanation of how the diaphragm works, which goes on for a minute or two. That's fine to hear once, but given that you are supposed to repeat this meditation again and again on a daily basis, you really don't need to hear this explanation again and again. For me it ends up being distracting - it's the sort of thing that should be explained in the book itself but left out of the audio track, which should be used to guide the meditation rather than to explain things.

The book comes with the audio tracks on CD but also provides soundcloud links to stream the files. The soundcloud files worked at first but at some point seem to have been removed. This is a bit annoying for people who no longer use CD players.

It's worth being aware that this book is very similar to the several others written by the same authors. Each one has a slightly different emphasis (depression, stress, health, creativity, etc.) but the fundamental ideas are the same. Have a look and choose the one that seems most helpful for you - there's not much point in buying more than one of them.