Format: Paperback|Change

on 31 January 2009
"Promises in Death", book 29 in the in death - series, is one of the best so far. It's really intense, sad but also hilarious and just great.
The story begins with the murder of Detective Coltraine who was in a intimate relationship with Morris. Not only Eve but every other cop in New York is on the hunt for the killer who took the life of one of them. But especially Eve and her unit are doing everything to solve this case as fast as possible. When the victim is linked with Alex Ricker, son of Max Ricker, it seems clear that he has to the number one suspect in the murder. But Eve soon realizes that while Alex Ricker may be a criminal he is no murderer. On the contrary he is just another victim in a game of revenge and power. When a second person close to Alex Ricker is killed Eve discovers that the killer may be no Mr X but somebody she already knows and whom Detective Coltraine trusted.
"Promises in Death" is so far one of my favourites in the series. Some parts of the book are hard to read because they are so sad but they are still great because you see a new side of Eve. She is not only a brilliant cop but also manages to be a very good friend to Morris and I have to say that I love this side of her. Roarke and Eve rock as usual and I think that you can see that their relationship is getting better and better.
There are also two hilarious scenes in this book involving Eve. One is Eve and Roarke buying some underwear (I had to laugh out loud when reading this) and one is Eve and a bunch of naked, drunken woman who are no strangers to her. These two scenes show yet another side of Eve and make it clear that she appreciates her friendships and realizes that they are important to balance out what she goes through in her job.
You learn a lot about Morris in this book and thank god he is not leaving New York after this tragedy, so I hope to see more of him and maybe Alex Ricker in the future.
So all in all I think that "Promises in Death" is brilliant and a fantastic new addition to the series. Thanks Nora Roberts for this great book.
11 comment|65 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 September 2009
We briefly met Amaryllis Coltraine before and should have known her days were numbered!Once again Eve Dallas puts herself through her own personal wringer of emotions to get justice for Morris and the dead Coltraine. The fact that it has ties to a past adversary, Max Ricker, just adds to the mix.
Long live Eve and Roarke!!
First Sentence: She was dead the minute she answered the `link.

Lt. Eve Dallas takes on a new case that is particularly painful. Amaryllis Coltraine was a fellow cop and the love of Eve's friend and colleague, Chief Medical Examiner Li Morris. The case has even more personal overtones when Eve discovers Coltraine was previously involved with criminal Alex Ricker, whose father Eve, with Roark's help, put in prison for life.

I am an admitted Robb/Eve Dallas fan and this book was one of the best. In spite of a silly gender typo on page 10, the opening was powerful, effective and compelling without any portents.

Eve is one of my favorite female characters. She is strong and smart. She speaks for the dead and ensures justice is done for them. She is also terrified of "girly" things such as babies and hen parties, and completely inept at shopping. With each book, she learns a bit more about herself and moves forward in her relationship with Roark. There is the romance with Roark and sex, but it gives balance to the character and an area for emotional growth. She is also a bit of a prude in public situations, which is delightfully offset by her partner Peabody who has lustful thoughts about every male she meets. All the supporting characters are fully developed and well drawn.

Robb has set the story in 2060 and creates a strong sense of time and place. The balance of the world as we know it but with futuristic elements is well drawn and very believable. Another of her strengths is dialogue. She has a great voice for both normal conversation and humor.

I feel the plotting improves with each book. There were a couple instances when I thought I knew where she was going and disappointed because they would have been rather clichéd or formulaic. To my surprise and delight, I was wrong in both instances.

It was a great book in a wonderful series.
on 6 October 2012
Another excellent book in the In Death series. In Promises in Death a police officer is murdered. This officer is linked to a close friend of Lieutenant Dallas so she takes this case personally.

I absolutely love the world that JD Robb has created and how she describes the inhabitants, the good and the bad. Eve is a hardworking and highly respected New York cop who understands how to get a confession out of a criminal.

I would definitely recommend this collection of books. It is best to start with the first book in the collection, Naked in Death, so that you are introduced to all the main characters. You can then choose to work your way chronologically through the rest or pick and choose the stories that appeal to you. The characters continue to develop book after book but this will not hinder or affect your enjoyment.

Happy Reading
on 8 September 2009
Promises in Death (In Death Series) As a fan of the 'In Death' series, I would find it hard to dislike any of these books. This is another hit for J D Robb. An intriguing plot brings in links with a previous baddie - a good touch.
There's always a dead body where Lieutenant Dallas is around, and this time there's two, one of them a cop and a very close friend of the chief medical officer who has to carry out an autopsy on her. We learn more about Morris in this story though unfortunately it's all sadness for him.
I enjoy the personal scenes between Rourke and Dallas, also Peabody (my favourite character) and McNab. There are some good ones here. Friends are brought in also. and it's always welcome to read about those we've met previously.
I can never tell 'who dunnit' in J D Robb's stories and this surely is a sign of good writing.
on 11 June 2014
I must have been reading a different novel! This is the second book I have read by J.D.Cobb and it will be the last! There is no suspense; the pages seem to last forever. There is no wanting to "turn the page" because one is gripped by the story. Turgid id the best I can come up with to describe it. I ended up "skimming" the pages in the hope that something would happen. Humorous? No.
I have learnt my lesson. Clearly, I am at variance with a great proportion of readers but I am resolute in my criticism. An awful novel; to say the least. If I could award it zero stars; I would!
on 21 July 2009
As usual the author has done a superb job in continuing the story of Lieutenant Eve her side kick Peabody and her husband the understanding Roarke. This is set in the future(New New York)and Eve has now been married to Roarke for two years. I make this the 27th book in the series. It can be read as a standalone book as threads are fed in from previous books. A fellow officer (Amaryllis Coltraine) from another precinct is murder and is also her friends' Chief Pathologist Morris love interest. This is hard for Eve and Peabody as they all respect Morris.
on 23 February 2009
if you are a fan of murder mysteries, romance, a little erotic sex, humour, friendships and good verses evil battles, do not miss this series. This is book 29 and each installment teaches us more about the characters we have grown to love. JD (or Nora) shows no signs of running out of ideas and i sincerely hope she has another 29 or so stories to tell us. The writing just sweeps you away as a good book should. I LOVE THE IN DEATH SERIES!!!
on 25 March 2009
J D Robb aka Nora Roberts never fails to deliver. I just wish she can write one book a month to feed my habit! LOL!
In between the murders, she always lighten the mood by giving us a sneak peek at Eve and Roarke's private life. It never fails to make me smile/laugh when she inserts a "normal" situation of their everyday life. It makes them more human, for me anyway.
All I can say is don't even hesitate to buy it.
on 21 February 2009
With so many books in the "In Death" series its amazing that they still grip you so tightly. This book was no exception, it was an excellent read - both sad and funny. I am a hugh fan of J D Robb having read all the books in this series and I am yet to be disappointed. Roll on November for the next installment, may they never end.