5.0 out of 5 stars Stress relief advice - and it works
Highly recommended for anyone going through periods of stress, pain or illness. The basic technique is mindfulness meditation which means being aware of what is happening in the moment aided by focusing on the breath. There are a range of very practical exercises that can be used. All it takes is discipline. By sitting, lying or standing you can become aware of your...
Published on 23 July 2010 by M. J. Robinson

3.0 out of 5 stars I've read this book twice but could not recommend it to someone new to the practice of mindfulness ...
I've read this book twice but could not recommend it to someone new to the practice of mindfulness or someone who is looking for a clear and concise introduction to this powerful and life changing concept.

I own the book on Kindle but have seen the hard copy and it is huge. I find that book is very useful to someone who has been practising mindfulness for some...
Published 17 months ago by Mr. J. D. Williams

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 412 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Full Catastrophe Living: How to cope with stress, pain and illness... Jon Kabat-Zinn, 10 Jun. 2013
Excellent book, liked it all, will recommend it to everybody. This book must be read in conjunction with "Wherever You Go, There You Are: Mindfulness meditation for everyday... Jon Kabat-Zinn". A must read for anybody suffering from " STRESS" due to whatever reason - Work Place Stress,Bullying & Harassment, Mental Stress, Depression,People Stress.....

5.0 out of 5 stars Hugely in depth manual for mindfulness and meditation practises based ..., 13 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Full Catastrophe Living, Revised Edition: How to cope with stress, pain and illness using mindfulness meditation (Paperback)
Hugely in depth manual for mindfulness and meditation practises based on a massive amount of experience. It's a large book describing how to cope with a wide range of problems including pain, stress, anxiety etc or simply to try to improve physical or mental balance. It is long and detailed but clearly written, lots of background information.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 28 May 2013
I cannot recommend this book highly enough. I am finally learning to 'chill out'; something which has never come naturally to me. I meditate twice a day and do yoga most days and am seeing very positive results. In the past, mindfulness has been something which I have practised while sitting on my meditation cushion but which has not carried over into my everyday life. This wonderful book has taught me that mindfulness is beneficial in all activities and that I can train my mind to be 'in the moment'. I'm not saying it is easy ... it takes time and effort to learn the skills of 'non-doing'. In the past, my anxieties and stresses grew so great that anxiety was controlling me. Things became so bad that I spent three weeks in hospital. There I was told that recovery would take at least a year and that I would not be back at work for many months. With the help of this amazing book, and my own dedicated efforts in following the guidance within, I was back at work within less than three months, far more able to cope with the demands of my job, and 'stressing' far, far less than I was. I have not yet read the whole book but am reading through it slowly, indeed mindfully, and returning to the bits which I find most helpful. It is not enough just to buy the book ... you have to absorb what it recommends and work at making mindfulness part of your life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Odd Title - Fantastic Research and Method, 15 Nov. 2013
Jester on Amazon "Jester" (Bristol, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Having worked in areas where my clients routinely came to me exhibiting extreme stress, I looked for ways to help. This book is the Bible. Based on Awareness Meditation practices, and increasingly part of mainstream thinking into health and wellbeing, this book contains what you need to make your life better.

4.0 out of 5 stars Perseverance required!, 11 Mar. 2013
There is a lot of reading matter in this book...444 pages and you need to persevere and be patient! However, it is easy to read and the techniques are easy to follow. It is sometimes difficult to find 15 minutes in a busy day to practise the exercises but it's well worth it if you can stick to it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful book for anyone, 9 Aug. 2013
This book describes the use of mindful meditation in detail. Mindfulness meditation is a non-religious meditation practise that helps you to more aware of you feelings and behaviour, this enables you to make wiser decisions in your life. There is no secret behind it, but it does require commitment to practising the techniques described.

I have found this useful for dealing with depression due to bereavement and other personal issues. I started with reading "The Mindful Way Through Depression: Freeing Yourself from Chronic Unhappiness" which includes a useful CD (by Kabat-Zinn) but this book goes into a bit more detail.

I would recommend this book to anybody who isn't completely happy with their lives. It does not provide a solution just a way of dealing with life as it is.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good but too repetitive book, 9 Nov. 2010
This was the first book i readed from kabat-zinn. I found it a little bit repetitive but in its essence its great.

If you are interested in the practice and not just in theory or in the author experiences at the stress reduction clinic, you'll need the "program tapes".

3.0 out of 5 stars Reasonable - bit Americanised, 23 Jun. 2013
I know you'll say, it is American. However, I think the material is useful. I'm working on the exercises and they are helpful. Youtube gives some helpful clips too. The concepts are interesting and Jon has some valuable insights on 21st century living!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great introduction to mindfulness practice, 4 April 2012
A truly inspirational read. A great introduction to mindfulness meditation. It was a little hard to get into but I stuck with it and was glad I did. The book provides a great foundation for mindfulness practices. Highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 6 Sept. 2012
I first read this years ago, and after reading more recent books on the subject I've come to the conclusion that this book is still the best way of learning mindfulness meditation.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 412 | Next ›