on 31 March 2015
It is a book that can guide you to change your life. I am a cardiology nurse and have recommended it to some of my patients. I can see how mind and body are so deeply linked. Many of the patients on my ward carry years of built up stress and, like myself have learnt incorrect ways of breathing, thinking and being. This book triggered a process of relearning these fundamental aspects of life. I would recommend it to anybody as a starting point to a new way of living and being.
on 11 May 2013
Having recently completed 6 months of CNT treatment for anxiety and depression I felt I needed something to help me to cope with my mental health problems. My therapist had mentioned Mindfulness to me and I found this book could also help me with back pain. I have not finished reading the book yet but have found it easy to read. I also bought a CD of Mindfulness meditation and use that frequently. Buy this book and it will help with stress, pain and illness.
on 10 June 2013
Excellent book, liked it all, will recommend it to everybody. This book must be read in conjunction with "Wherever You Go, There You Are: Mindfulness meditation for everyday... Jon Kabat-Zinn". A must read for anybody suffering from " STRESS" due to whatever reason - Work Place Stress,Bullying & Harassment, Mental Stress, Depression,People Stress.....
on 27 November 2015
OK. But you start getting hooked on all this mindfulness as the be all end all to life. Mindfulness is OK. Nothing more. Maybe I have not reached deep enough yet with only a year on my experience. It's nice place but it's not real. Because as soon as you stop meditating you back to normal with all the struggles of mind etc. So you go back to mediation and it feels good. But again you come out and back to self to struggles of mind fears me thought etc . So what's the point in meditating if it's just like a drug you like the feeling but as soon as you come back to normal struggles it all end's. So mane mindfulness is compare to the feeling of going gym and getting pump feeling. But soon as you stop it's back to normal. So good if you want relief in just a nice place to be. But not real. As it's not real life is everyday. That aware feeling is not there in real life. Only in mediation so it's nice there but soon as real life it's back to struggle me thoughts. Life etc wants me thoughts etc
on 13 February 2015
Hugely in depth manual for mindfulness and meditation practises based on a massive amount of experience. It's a large book describing how to cope with a wide range of problems including pain, stress, anxiety etc or simply to try to improve physical or mental balance. It is long and detailed but clearly written, lots of background information.
on 28 May 2013
I cannot recommend this book highly enough. I am finally learning to 'chill out'; something which has never come naturally to me. I meditate twice a day and do yoga most days and am seeing very positive results. In the past, mindfulness has been something which I have practised while sitting on my meditation cushion but which has not carried over into my everyday life. This wonderful book has taught me that mindfulness is beneficial in all activities and that I can train my mind to be 'in the moment'. I'm not saying it is easy ... it takes time and effort to learn the skills of 'non-doing'. In the past, my anxieties and stresses grew so great that anxiety was controlling me. Things became so bad that I spent three weeks in hospital. There I was told that recovery would take at least a year and that I would not be back at work for many months. With the help of this amazing book, and my own dedicated efforts in following the guidance within, I was back at work within less than three months, far more able to cope with the demands of my job, and 'stressing' far, far less than I was. I have not yet read the whole book but am reading through it slowly, indeed mindfully, and returning to the bits which I find most helpful. It is not enough just to buy the book ... you have to absorb what it recommends and work at making mindfulness part of your life.
on 15 November 2013
Having worked in areas where my clients routinely came to me exhibiting extreme stress, I looked for ways to help. This book is the Bible. Based on Awareness Meditation practices, and increasingly part of mainstream thinking into health and wellbeing, this book contains what you need to make your life better.
on 9 August 2013
This book describes the use of mindful meditation in detail. Mindfulness meditation is a non-religious meditation practise that helps you to more aware of you feelings and behaviour, this enables you to make wiser decisions in your life. There is no secret behind it, but it does require commitment to practising the techniques described.

I have found this useful for dealing with depression due to bereavement and other personal issues. I started with reading "The Mindful Way Through Depression: Freeing Yourself from Chronic Unhappiness" which includes a useful CD (by Kabat-Zinn) but this book goes into a bit more detail.

I would recommend this book to anybody who isn't completely happy with their lives. It does not provide a solution just a way of dealing with life as it is.
on 9 November 2010
This was the first book i readed from kabat-zinn. I found it a little bit repetitive but in its essence its great.

If you are interested in the practice and not just in theory or in the author experiences at the stress reduction clinic, you'll need the "program tapes".
on 23 June 2013
I know you'll say, it is American. However, I think the material is useful. I'm working on the exercises and they are helpful. Youtube gives some helpful clips too. The concepts are interesting and Jon has some valuable insights on 21st century living!