Format: Paperback|Change

on 20 January 2013
This book has come 6 1/2 months too late for me but is reassuring nonetheless. It is SO supportive of mothers and their natural instincts that its had me crying with tears of relief that we have been doing OK all this time regardless of what the 'experts' say.

It is very general, so don't buy this book if you want to know what to do and when to do it with your baby, its all about trusting your instinct and going with what feels right.

The secret is that there are no magic answers, there are suggestions in this book that may help but my baby cried a lot, even though we co-slept and he was 'worn'.

I don't agree with everything in it. We don't let our son cry it out but he usually cries a bit before he goes to sleep because he's tired. There's a big difference between that and leaving him to scream until he collapses to sleep. As with all books take from it what is useful to you.

If you are going to buy a baby book I'd urge you to buy this one and avoid The Baby Whisperer et al like the plague they are likely to make you feel a failure and make you and your baby cry even more.
on 1 October 2012
This book is a gem!

When I was pregnant I was nervous about what to do and how. I bought a baby book by a different author, misled by the title into thinking it would teach me how to make my child happy. I remember my husband commenting on my contorted facial expressions when I read about bizarre rituals where the day was broken into 20 minute slots dictating how long I bath my baby, how much milk I should express and when, when I eat my breakfast, and specifically what I must eat.

Unsurprisingly it turned out the author of that book had never had children. It went in the bin, so no one else could read it.

Baby Calm is the delightful antidote (written by a mother of four) and I so wish it had been published 6 years earlier!

Every parent should read this book if they want sensible advise on how to deal with becoming a parent and the needs of a newborn, while maintaining their own calm and sanity,

If you're going to be a parent, you need this.
on 12 February 2014
After reading books by people like Tracy Hogg which made me feel like I was doing it all wrong & whose ideas about sleep training went against everything I wanted to do, this book gave me the confidence to do what I thought was right! So happy I read it, it's made me a happier more confident mum & my baby is happier too!
on 24 March 2013
This is the book I wish I had read before I had my daughter. I buy it for every pregnant friend now! Although it is full of excellent baby calming tips based on current research evidence, the main message that comes across from this book is allowing new mothers to trust their instincts again when it comes to parenting, resisting the notion that the baby trainers way of enforced routines and strict parenting guidelines is the only way to raise a child. As a midwife I wish I could give a copy out to every new mother on discharge home! You won't regret purchasing this book. I simply cannot wait for the ToddlerCalm book to be released later this year!
on 7 September 2014
Really lovely, informative and easy to read. Would recommend to all new Mums. Excellent. Looking forward to reading Toddlercalm now!!
on 5 October 2012
Love this book, finaly a parenting book that supports parents to trust their instincts. Such a refreshing change to see a book that doesn't try and tell parents what is right or wrong! Mothers and fathers should read it, but also grandparents and health visitors and all those other people who overwhelm new parents with 'good advice'. I'd recommend it to all new parents
on 12 February 2013
I wish that I was given this book before I had my little boy. I spent the first month or two feeling a failure as per some of the other supposed baby experts everything I was doing was a bad habit! However whenever I tried to implement their ideas I had a very unhappy baby and an even more unhappy mummy. I then found this book, and finally someone who wants to give mums confidence in their instincts, everything is backed up by research and all comes back to emphasising building the bond with your child. I am now feeling so much stronger when dealing with relatives "helpful" comments, and know that I'm doing a great job with my little boy, thank you Sarah for giving me that confidence.
on 31 January 2015
Bought this book as a first time mum to be. I've decided to buy a spectrum of books from those advocating being led by maternal instincts, such as this one, and also more "help manuals" in the hope that by reading a range of things I will be able to find a suitable mid point in my parenting style. I'm enjoying this book so far and am almost half ways through only having had it for a day or so. It's easy to read, nice writing style and full explanations and real life stories, cementing ideas and considering different view points. I'm particularly enjoying the sections on so called sleep training and also co sleeping, lots of food for thought. I would recommend this book.
on 26 February 2013
Fantastic parenting book full of sensible, practical and evidence based tips and facts on how to raise a baby in a gentle and loving manner. This book is a refreshing change from other so called baby `experts' who instruct new mothers to adopt strict regimes with their baby, some who are not even mothers themselves! Instead this book gives the new mother confidence to act upon her own natural parenting instincts without causing unnecessary worry and feelings of being not a good enough mother. I wish this book had been written thirty years ago when I was struggling getting to grips with my first born!! I will certainly be recommending this book to all parents.
on 27 February 2013
As a first time mum, I found that there was an amazing amount of conflicting information and advice out there (even from the hospital, gp and hospital!). This book gave me confidence in myself and helped me trust the mothering instinct I didn't even realise I had!