5.0 out of 5 stars Finally! A gem of sense.
This book is a gem!

When I was pregnant I was nervous about what to do and how. I bought a baby book by a different author, misled by the title into thinking it would teach me how to make my child happy. I remember my husband commenting on my contorted facial expressions when I read about bizarre rituals where the day was broken into 20 minute slots dictating...
Published on 1 Oct. 2012 by Amber

3.0 out of 5 stars Good message, a little flimsy on the evidence
I liked this book for its positive parenting approach and friendly writing style. There was nothing in it that I disagreed with and I did learn a few useful ideas for calming holds and strategies to use with my newborn.

I've only given it 3 stars because I felt it was a little flimsy. There is plenty of hard evidence out there to support the author's parenting...
Published 17 months ago by stargirl

‹ Previous | 1 2 314 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for new mothers, 7 Oct. 2012
This review is from: BabyCalm: A Guide for Calmer Babies and Happier Parents (Paperback)
I loved this book!

It is really clearly written and covers so much. It's not a baby-raising manual but there is plenty of useful information in it about how to calm your baby, sleeping arrangements, feeding problems. However, what I gained most from it was a sense of confidence as a mother, that I don't have to listen to other people's 'advice' and I should follow my own instincts. Some of the stories from other mothers in the book were really moving and there was lots I could relate to. I was in tears in several places because what Sarah Ockwell-Smith writes about hits home so much. It makes me sad that this book or BabyCalm wasn't around where I live two years ago as it could have saved me a lot of stress and sleepless nights when my son was born.

It is a really interesting read and should definitely be read alongside any other parenting book you might want to read or have recommended to you. I thought it was a really refreshing change to the mainstream advice we are given and it's so nice to be told that you are doing a good job and you should do things your own way, even if you don't know what your way is yet.

5.0 out of 5 stars So pleased this book has finally been wrritten., 5 Oct. 2012
Love this book, finaly a parenting book that supports parents to trust their instincts. Such a refreshing change to see a book that doesn't try and tell parents what is right or wrong! Mothers and fathers should read it, but also grandparents and health visitors and all those other people who overwhelm new parents with 'good advice'. I'd recommend it to all new parents

5.0 out of 5 stars Every new mum should read this!, 12 Dec. 2012
I'm so relieved that finally somebody has acknowledged that 'I' am the expert on my baby, and not them! It's so confusing and disempowering when so called experts think that they can tell me how I should care for my baby, when they've never met me or her! The book gave me such a lot of comfort, that what ever I do, it is always 'good enough'. Becoming a mum is totally life changing, and it's so hard to trust your instincts, when everybody seems to have an opinion, but I'm going to use the tips and ideas in this book to parent in the way that feels right for me :)

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect antidote to all those 'other' baby books, 10 Oct. 2012
This book explains why it isn't necessary to have a strict routine, to sleep train and all the other insensitive methods out there which many new mums feel they must use. It's about getting back to basics and trusting yourself and your baby. I'll be buying a copy for every pregnant friend!

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you for a book that actually makes me feel good about being a parent, 7 Oct. 2012
I bought this book for my wife and I, we have just received a copy can I just say to anyone expecting a baby and already feeling bombarded by friends and family get this book ...it's not a do this or do that kind of book, but the information in this book is amazing and most of all its realistic as well as being backed up by science ...I can actually say I don't feel scared of being a parent right now !

There's too many books setting people up to feel like failures this is so refreshing ..!

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding book, a must read for any parent or parent-to-be!, 6 Oct. 2012
Finally, a book that makes sense - written by someone who has actually had children, supportive and packed with suggestions without dictating a particular approach (like all the other books on the subject), such an easy to read refreshing book with loads of real-life examples. I so wish I had had this book for the birth of my first child, I would have trusted my instincts and not made the mistakes I made.

Every woman should have it - so worth the money!

5.0 out of 5 stars THE VERY BEST BOOK ON BABIES!!!, 18 Sept. 2014
Truly brilliant book! I have acquired several 'best selling' baby books, all giving hideously outdated, non gentle or compassionate methods of 'dealing' with babies, this book however is quite different. It helps parents understand and cope with their sensitive babies needs rather than dictating how the baby's behaviour should be moulded to suit! If you are caring, nurturing, devoted parent, this is the best baby book for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars great read for first time mums, 18 July 2014
Honest, practical, supportive instead of directive advice to help you feel more confident in your own instinct and ability as a new parent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book with babies at the centre, 17 Sept. 2014
Really enjoyed this book which is an advocate for babies and their needs. This supported me to feel confident in my parenting decisions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wish I'd read this months ago!, 7 Sept. 2014
Really lovely, informative and easy to read. Would recommend to all new Mums. Excellent. Looking forward to reading Toddlercalm now!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 314 | Next ›

BabyCalm: A Guide for Calmer Babies and Happier Parents
BabyCalm: A Guide for Calmer Babies and Happier Parents by Sarah Ockwell-Smith (Paperback - 4 Oct. 2012)