5.0 out of 5 stars Finally! A gem of sense.
This book is a gem!

When I was pregnant I was nervous about what to do and how. I bought a baby book by a different author, misled by the title into thinking it would teach me how to make my child happy. I remember my husband commenting on my contorted facial expressions when I read about bizarre rituals where the day was broken into 20 minute slots dictating...
Published on 1 Oct. 2012 by Amber

3.0 out of 5 stars Good message, a little flimsy on the evidence
I liked this book for its positive parenting approach and friendly writing style. There was nothing in it that I disagreed with and I did learn a few useful ideas for calming holds and strategies to use with my newborn.

I've only given it 3 stars because I felt it was a little flimsy. There is plenty of hard evidence out there to support the author's parenting...
Published 17 months ago by stargirl

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book!, 15 Dec. 2012
This review is from: BabyCalm: A Guide for Calmer Babies and Happier Parents (Paperback)
I didn't think to buy any books before having my baby but once she arrived, I was given a parenting book and found that even though it didn't sit right with me, I ended up trying the routines and practises it suggested just because I thought I should.

I decided to just do things my way but often felt guilty that I was doing things that so many experts banded as 'mistakes' or 'bad habits' such as feeding to sleep.

This book however, completely resonated with how I wanted to parent. It gives common sense ideas and suggestions and supports parents in using their instincts and having the confidence to make their own decisions about what is best for their child. I would really recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book, definitely worth buying!, 8 Dec. 2012
Sarah is a wonderful writer and passionate about her subject - the fact that she is an expert in this field makes this book a must-read! Looking forward to her next offering!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant - a must read for all new parents!, 20 Oct. 2012
Written in a style which is really easy to read this book contains lots of information which is essential for new parents. I will never be stuck again when buying a gift for new parents! It has lots of information which will help parents to feel more confident about the descisions that they want to make with their newborn, handy hints and tips which you can follow or not.....depending on what you want to do. This relaxed feel is threaded through the whole book and you definately feel more confident reading it. I have read a lot of parenting books which talk about the suggestions convered in this book - it's great that this information is now all in one place! It definately helped me to trust in my own instincts, i would recommend this book for sure! All of the findings are also backed up with bits of research so my partner really enjoyed reading it and is totally on board too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 19 Mar. 2014
I bought this book for a first time Mum, who was being told so many different things by so many well meaning people. This book is down to earth, however in some places a bit over the top. I told the mum just to use as a guide line, which she did and found it very useful.

5.0 out of 5 stars I felt so confident as a new mother after reading this ..., 28 Feb. 2013
An excellent, helpful book that's a refreshing and much needed alternative from prescriptive methods. BabyCalm facilitates, empowers and connects mothers (and fathers) to their natural, human instincts as parents by offering a raft of evidence-based, gentle techniques, support and advice for life with their new baby, while avoiding strict routine-based approaches.

BabyCalm includes many shared experiences of other parents providing valuable insights into parenting, techniques that worked for them and what life is like with a newborn.

The book focuses on gentle methods to soothe babies, ways to help them (and the family) sleep and offers helpful advice on baby wearing, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby cues and recovering from birth and birth trauma and the transition into motherhood.

BabyCalm aims to empower mothers to listen to their own maternal instinct rather than giving their power away to 'baby trainers/experts', and seeks to develop a tight, informed community of empowered mothers, a maternal matrix, that has been lost over the centuries.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for all new parents., 27 Feb. 2013
I found this a very useful and informative book. It is very easy to read and very easy to understand. It is reassuring and encouraging and not prescriptive. I wish this book was around when I was antenatal with my first child. Sarah Ockwell-Smith speaks from real experiences and makes sense of what is confusing for a lot of new parents (primarily I believe it to be new Mums). Sarah talks openly about her feelings and experiences of her 4 births and the effect they had on her, her children and her family. Sarah highlights areas of her postnatal experiences and care that have had a huge affect on her and what she feels could have been done differently. Sarah's passion for empowering women/parents is inspiring and I will be recommending this book expectant and new parents as I view it as a book that will help a lot of women at one of the most incredible times of their lives but the difference of reading this book and not could be the difference of a lot of things making sense and a woman feeling in a strong sense of self and another feeling lost, confused and very vulnerable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous book, 11 July 2014
a fan (staines massive) - See all my reviews
I am not normally one to write reviews but I feel that it would be wrong of me not to in this case, because this book is FANTASTIC!

I am pregnant with my first baby and bought a few books to help me along the way, and if there was one that inspired me, captivated me and provided guidance and encouragement on being the kind of mum that fits with your beliefs and ideals, it is this one. This is the one I wouldn't want to be without.

It's not too hippy or airy fairy, but it is far less of a prescriptive baby manual than the other books I read and just gets your mind thinking about the bigger picture and the ethos behind your chosen parenting methods.

A great read, I loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The only book I wish I'd read before having a baby, 29 May 2013
I found this book totally inspirational. It was the first baby book I had read that I wished I had read before I became a mother. It gives a completely honest view of life with a baby and gives new mothers permission to do all the things that most health professionals warn us against. This book is unusual in telling us that we are the experts on our baby and that we don't need parenting experts - I have referred to this book when speaking to friends as the `you don't need a book to raise a baby book'. This book should be given to every expectant mother instead of the `Ready, Steady, Baby' book that we currently receive, in the time being I will buy it for every expectant mother I know.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for all new mums..., 23 Oct. 2014
Should be handed out to every mum or mum to be!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 25 Sept. 2014
Great quality product at a great price!

BabyCalm: A Guide for Calmer Babies and Happier Parents
BabyCalm: A Guide for Calmer Babies and Happier Parents by Sarah Ockwell-Smith (Paperback - 4 Oct. 2012)