Format: Paperback|Change

on 24 November 2013
If I could give this book a 4.5, I would. My (small and spoiler-free) gripes (and what kept this from being a 5-star book for me):

Like the vast majority of American novelists (Carla Kelly notwithstanding), Ms Hoyt's tone when writing about London is just a bit "off". And as this whole series is set in and around a London slum, that's annoying. Georgette Heyer couldn't have written well about East L.A. - I know that, but it still annoys me. I hate being able to tell an author isn't English, if the book is set in England.

Gripe #2: I'm tired of this plot. I never liked the idea of 18th-Century Bruce Waynes (and this hero, being a Duke - is even sillier).

On to the good - and there's a heap of it. The romance is interesting, the main characters fully fleshed-out with REAL motives for their actions. The supporting characters are great - a short but terrific scene between our heroine and a fellow (older) companion especially stood out to me. The love scenes are seriously good (and - yay! - take place at a realistic point in the story).

In short, top-class stuff from a mature author at the peak of her powers (though my favourite of Ms Hoyt's books is still The Raven Prince...).

PS: Ms Hoyt: I'd like to see Apollo's story - but please, no more Ghost!
on 3 November 2013
Really loved this series and so sad it has come to an end, but what a way to go out, with the sexy , brave, strong but haunted Maximus and the feisty, tough heroine with a heart of Gold. Loved the secondary characters too especially Apollo and would love to see him with his own story. Great read.
on 22 October 2013
I love all the Maiden Lane books and this latest instalment is a cracking good read. Elizabeth Hoyt creates some memorable characters. Artemis and Maximus have so much depth and it was heartbreaking to follow them through their romance when things looked so unlikely to turn out well. It was also a joy to meet up with so many old friends from the earlier books in the series whilst other characters show great promise for future stories! Hope they won't be too long coming!
on 23 October 2013
As with all Maiden Lane stories, there's depth, intrigue, heart break and fantastic naughty bits. I absolutely loved both Artemis and Maximus in this story and was impressed with how deeply I sympathised with them and their situation.

Over the moon to see some old characters turn up and have all my fingers crossed that there will be another one to come.
on 18 February 2016
I read this story years ago and when I got to the end, I turned to the beginning and read the whole novel again. I thought it was THAT good.

I’ve just read it for the 3rd time and loved it all over again (and gone back and read it a 4th time)!

Maximus is the powerful Duke of Wakefield and he has a commanding presence whenever he appears on the page. By day he is the parliamentarian, proper Duke trying to enact gin laws to protect people from its evils. By night he is policing the most dangerous area of London, and searching for a killer.

Artemis is the easily overlooked, mousy lady’s companion to her wealthy cousin. But she is sister to Apollo, wrongly locked up. She is fearless in her fiery rage fuelled by love for her brother. What’s a powerful Duke to a woman who must make a stand to protect a loved one?

The scene near the ruined abbey during a houseparty was breath-stopping. Artemis shocked me in a good way. My pulse hammered (even on the third and fourth read). The build-up to that scene was so well-written and compelling that it was delicious. What followed was a relationship-changer. What Maximus did was HUGE. So I can understand the direction Artemis and Maximus’s relationship went after that.

The relationship between this couple, including the hot sexy times (and they were hot because of the well-written build-up to them), had a physical effect on me. The danger, suspense (as there is villainy to be defeated) and the romance had my heart thudding so much I felt as if I were running a race. Gotta love a novel that does that to you… For me, the romance in this novel was completely satisfying. Loved it.

For those interested, there is a Christmas Special short story following on from this novel and you can find it in the Extras section of Elizabeth Hoyt's official website.

This is the standard of work I now expect from Elizabeth Hoyt. “The Duke of Midnight” and “Thief of Shadows” are my favourites (so far) by this author. I now compare everything I read by Elizabeth Hoyt to these two novels. They are a tough act to follow.

*contains sex scenes.
on 23 July 2014
At long last, we get to read about the Ghost of St. Giles #3 - Maximus Batten - otherwise known as the Duke of Wakefield. We have read about him in the other Ghosts' books but in the "Duke of Midnight" we finally learn what has driven him to roam St. Giles during the darkness of the night.

Artemis Greaves is an impoverished lady who serves as her cousin Penelope's companion. Penelope isn't the brightest gal on the block but she is Wakefield's ideal choice of duchess with her bloodline and her fortune. He cares not for love, only for the dukedom. So much so, that even after he begins to fall for the very fascinating Artemis, he holds solidly with his intentions to marry Penelope.

*Slight Spoilers* For four long years, Artemis's twin brother, Apollo, has been locked in Bedlam - accused of madness and murder because he was found passed out alongside three murdered men. Artemis knows that Apollo is innocent and definitely not mad, however, she has no money to help him and it is driving her nuts. When Apollo is beat nearly to death by his guards, she is frantic and decides she will blackmail Maximus into rescuing Apollo. You see, she has figured out that Maximus is the Ghost. However, Maximus isn't so easily blackmailed but he does have a soft spot for Artemis so he agrees to help her.

Action/Romance/Intrigue with Maximus and Artemis. Wakefield's character has always been a puzzle but with the help of his Diana, Artemis, the puzzle is finally unraveled. From the streets of London to a house party at Wakefield's country estate, then back to London, the reader is fascinated and held captive to the story line of Maximus and Artemis.

The secondary story of Apollo is absolutely haunting. I found myself so interested in Apollo's story that I found his pain and suffering almost too much to bear. I look forward to the day when Ms. Hoyt will write his story. All in all, this book was a very enjoyable read with one major exception:

**Spoiler Alert** I would have given this book 5 stars except that I did not like the part of the story line where Maximus and Artemis began to sleep together in his home, where she is living temporarily in her role as companion to Phoebe, Maximus's sister. By this time Maximus has fallen hard for her and is willing to have her as his mistress but certainly not his wife. Artemis, bless her heart, was so tired of the dreary type of life she had been living, she thought she would be willing to take what she could get - to her sorrow and chagrin later. This part added too much to the sadness of Artemis's life and was neither pleasant nor enjoyable, especially in the light of the social stigma of that era and the consequences of this type of behavior.
on 14 November 2014
I usually enjoy elizabeth hoyts novel but this one did not do it for me I found it quite ridicules. We had met the ghost of st giles in the previous novels but here he was again only a different man.it was more like batman in his secret cave. Alsothe subplot with appolo seemed poor. All in all I found it quite annoying and all the characters have stupid names. It the usual steamy sex scenes but it was disappointing.
on 28 October 2013
I have loved reading the Maiden Lane Series. And Duke of Midnight kept me hooked from the first page! Most enthralling story.
on 9 December 2013
After reading about Winter and I wanted to continue to see what would happen next.
Good story, at least we know how they came to be married and who was the real killer.
My only criticism, was why do all the men have to be tall and strong and the women
portrayed as small. I got a bit tried of it always being mention.
on 3 November 2013
Superb I love the whole series. More please I do love your writing Liz. Collecting all your books. Keep it up.