Format: Paperback|Change

on 23 January 2016
This was a terrific novel. I loved the build-up to love between two well-matched adversaries. She’s a titled aristocrat; he’s the schoolmaster/manager of an orphanage. Their paths should not have crossed, let alone blended.

I loved everything about the confident heroine, Isabel. The hero, Winter Makepeace, initially a stern, religious character, relaxed as his acquaintance with Isabel progressed. As a result, he became more likeable.

This story also contains murder, mystery, intrigue and suspense. The pace of the romance was well done and it kept its thrilling momentum throughout.

I loved the disparity between the couple’s sexual experiences and how the least experienced one made no apology for the lack.

Elizabeth Hoyt is rarely matched in her ability to write a compelling, emotional sex-scene. Wow, the chemistry, verbal seduction, sexual tension build-up and finally, the very hot sex scenes, had me totally heating up!

In the end, it’s all about the love story, and I really enjoyed that. I found it flawless. It’s the second time I read this book and felt it was as good as I remembered. I’m so glad about that. Winter and Isabel are the perfect couple for the work they are now embarking upon together. They have each other, and I’m confident their love will last. I am left feeling completely satisfied with this romance.

Thank-you Elizabeth Hoyt!

*contains sex scenes.
on 26 January 2014
Thoroughly enjoyed this whole series. Couldn't wait to read the next book. The whole series is connected by character, although each book does stand alone and tells its own story. I bought them all at once and read them one after the other - great. Typical historical romance escapism - highly unlikely in reality (I should think) but great entertainment! I believe there is another book in the pipeline for this series and I will be buying it when it is available.
on 24 October 2013
I loved this book,but then I have thoroughly enjoyed all of the maiden st. series I have read so far , I missed the first two so will read them to catch up and then continue on to book 5. I recommend these books for any lover of regency romance especially if you like good writing and a touch of the unexpected.
on 15 July 2013
Although Elizabeth's books are a little fantastical. for some reason I love them I can't put them down. All in the maiden lane series are excellent. The only one that was a bit iffy to me was the bondage scenes in the first book in the series. I don't like kinky sex. However I would still Highly recommend them.
VINE VOICEon 10 July 2012
Having read the other books in this series:

Book 1 - Wicked Intentions: A Maiden Lane Novel
Book 2 - Notorious Pleasures: A Maiden Lane Novel: Book Two
Book 3 - Scandalous Desires: A Maiden Lane novel

I can't really say how this, book 4, would work as a stand alone. Probably not badly, although you wouldn't know much about the Ghost, who features in all the other books. The leading ladies from the earlier books, sisters Temperance and Silence, and Lady Hero, and their men, either don't, or very peripherally appear.

This is a fine addition, although I was pretty certain I knew who the ghost was at the end of book 1 but remember a scene that meant it couldn't be who I thought. So I was pretty miffed to discover I was right all along, and shall re-read book 1 soon to see if I'm remembering things correctly. I also found the Winter presented in this book didn't really match the Winter presented in the other books - again, I need to re-read them to see if I'm right. But that all said and done, I liked the Winter presented here, very much liked the way the physical side of the relationship was initiated, with a neat about turn on the normal expectations, and liked how the emotional/intellectual relationship developed, and the effect on the two main characters of that developing relationship. I also liked that the issue of Isabel's apparent infertility wasn't simply swept aside by the arrival of a more virile (potent?) man...

It's always difficult for authors to have a baddie in clear view throughout the book and not exposed. Ms Hoyt manages here, although she does rather heavily point us in one direction.

This is a more plausible book than books 2 and 3 I thought, no gin factories or pirates, just two damaged people learning how to love and step free from the bonds of the past.

There is explicit sex here, as in most books of this genre these days, and Ms Hoyt nicely avoids the usual cliched terminology, going instead for what some may find a more earthy approach - and I don't mean dirty! The scenes are well written, not gratuitous, and entirely in keeping with the story.
on 20 December 2012
A really, really lovely story. A combination of seduction, love, whit and intrigue. Cleverly written, while subtle and uncomplicated. I fell in love with the characters, and such a nice change of pace...strong feminine leading lady while compared to an inexperienced younger man. Just brilliant! X
on 19 August 2013
I have very recently found this fa author and can't understand why it has taken me so longer to explore her work, the novel holds you from the first few pages right up to the end sentence, a must read but defiantly an addition to any historical fiction lovers must haves !!!!!
on 18 May 2013
I have no words for this author she is fantastic and I am trying to buy as many of her books as I can highly recommend her do not miss out, those who love sex and romance in a book it is a must read better than any of the modern novels historical is the way to go
77 comments|One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 May 2013
I love a good series one that I can feel part of and get to know the characters. This series is gripping I don't know what is coming next. I can't wait for the next book.
on 22 November 2013
Excellent writer, good storyline nice romance, what more do you need from a book, lovely way to spend some time relaxing in a different world.