Format: Paperback|Change

on 8 February 2013
What a novel idea for these authors to write a book with three different interpretations of a title. Each of these ladies are brilliant authors and when they do something like this I find it most interesting. They are not trying to outdo each other - it is just like sitting and listening to three friends telling you a story - I loved it.
on 21 June 2012
Hugh has a brush with death that makes him revalue his life and decide it is time he settled down. Not an easy task when he spends most of his time in the stables with his prized racehorses.

He asks his sister to write a list of eligible ladies, only to find that the season has ended and he has missed the boat or dance as the case may be.

His sister has the answer, a weekend house party inviting all the eligible ladies she has chosen a few men to even out the numbers.

Hugh is brilliant with horses but does not find it so easy to understand the ladies. As the ladies on the list as peeled off one by one but other bachelors at the party, Hugh decides he must find a match.

He finds love with a lady not on the list and falls completely. Will it work out?

This novel is brilliant. I was expecting a gentle regency romantic tale, which I do enjoy, but this one can only be described as a regency rom-com. It had me giggling away and could rival Bridget Jones any day.
The weekend fun and frolics kept me entertained right to the very last page. Such a shame the weekend came to an end.

I particularly enjoyed the surprise that Georgina found with Hugh. Naughty but very funny.

I understand there may be a sequel. I do hope so. :)

5 out of 5 for me!

Thank you Piatkus for a review copy. This did not influence my review in any way
on 10 May 2012
Hugh Dunne has reluctantly come to the conclusion that its time for him to settle down and find a wife but it will need to be someone who can put up with his endless hours spent training his beloved horses. But he knows that he's better equipped at sourcing horses than finding the perfect woman so he decides to ask his sister Carolyn to draw up a list of potential brides for him although in his own mind he knows exactly who he'd choose but she's off the market.

Carolyn knows just who she thinks would be perfect for him, Gwendolyn Passmore and Katherine Peyton, but as the season is over she decides to hold a house party and invite some of the finest young ladies but also some eligible bachelors to make up the numbers. But as she soon finds out inviting other bachelors soon plays havoc with her attempts to match Hugh to either Gwen or Kate. Can he woo either of them before someone else does?

I liked the fact that although this is one book, it was written by a collaboration of three authors Julia Quinn, Eloisa James and Connie, and is in effect a story told in 3 parts regarding the 3 developing relationships.

This was an extremely easy book to read and I found that I kept wanting to read just one more chapter to find out did Hugh get his perfect woman in the end. But first of all you had to read about the other two match ups which were also enjoyable to read about. I definitely think he won the heart of the right woman in the end.
on 24 March 2016
Brilliant story lines for each character. My favourite was the captain's one but overall I loved then all. Was superbly written and I felt that I knew the characters completely. I read as I am an avid Julia Quinn fan and now have happily been shown 2 New authors im keen to look into.
on 11 January 2014
Got this after the sequel and to be honest, could have given it a miss. It's predictable and a little slow compared to the lady most willing - it's obvious where the three authors swap over it just doesn't gel very well.

Skip to the sequel it's by far the better book.
on 5 June 2013
Really enjoyed this. It just flowed along and I didn't notice when one author stopped and another started, unless they worked together throughout the three stories. Anyhow, loved all the characters, although Marilla was scheming and selfish but I think even she met her match!
on 14 October 2013
I bought this book because I love Julia Quinn books and have to say that the story written by her was the best of the three. However, I also enjoyed the other stories, particularly Connie Brockway's story. Good value read.
on 22 February 2013
Another lovely read from some of my favourite novelists. An intriguing twist having three different views all interlinked, it certainly answered the "what if " aspect. I look forward to the next offering.
on 2 February 2016
As always when Julia Quinn and Eloisa James write the storeys come to life...I have to say I loved the Scottish setting... and who doesn't want there own castle?
on 24 May 2013
didn't read the whole book, prefer a single writer book. wouldn't buy a collaboration again, not my fave, it takes away from Julia Quinn