Format: Paperback|Change

There's little I like better than immersing myself in an Amanda Quick novel. There's just something about her novels that I have loved since the 80's when she was writing as Stephanie James.

Beatrice is a resourceful woman who has secrets, forced to rely on her wits and with the cunning equal to any man, she hides in plain sight as a paid companion. Safe, beneath the notice of the rich and powerful, underestimated ...until a mysterious stranger aids her one night and gives the firm impression that he knows a great deal about her.

Joshua Gage is a man who understands about keeping secrets. For years he was a shadowy figure who operated in the dark in order to protect his country. Now with his body battered and his face scarred, he no longer has the capability or interest in returning to being the man he once was. When he runs across Beatrice, he is indebted to her because she awakens something in him that has been sleeping. He doesn't believe in the existence of psychic phenomena but with very little effort he could believe in the existence of true love.

THE MYSTERY WOMAN is a classic Amanda Quick novel. A heroine who is the complete opposite of a timid and helpless Victorian miss, a hero who carries emotional and physical scars, the threat of evil, paranormal abilities and an unexpected physical attraction between the main characters. While this book was enjoyable and held my interest, I feel that it lacked something. A spark of originality or something that would set it apart from one of the author's many other novels. Reading this novel was like taking a sip of a delicious hot drink and having your pleasure dulled by finding that your drink was luke warm.

However, I did enjoy the gothic atmosphere of the book, the creeping menace of the threat to Beatrice alongside the solid romance between her and Joshua. The two of them made a great team.
on 28 April 2013
Love this author in all her guises. This one follows her formula but that's what we like and why we can't wait for the next book!!
on 2 May 2014
I love Jayne Anne Krentz/Amanda Quick novels, and I love it with Piatkus sends me them to review because I know I'm in for a treat! Imagine my excitement when I opened a package to see not one book by her, but TWO. These books are my guilty pleasure, the books I pick up when it's been one of those days or weeks, and I need a bit of a cheer up and some fluff.

I love history, I'm a history geek and I love historical novels. I feel the appropriate amount of research was done by the author to create a world from the past that was realistic and believable, instead of pure inaccurate fabrication. It was a world I didn't have a problem disappearing in to.

I loved our heroine. Beatrice is brave, spunky and strong. Our author could have written a damsel in distress who was a little bit useless, but instead we get this badass woman who carries a pistol strapped to her thigh, and smelling salts that ward off unwanted sexual advances, I appreciated so much these aspects of her character because she's prepared and not afraid to take action.

I loved the relationship between Joshua and Beatrice, they're both people with strong personalities but at the same time they can see each other's point of view and communicate. To me, they worked well together. I loved how our hero didn't believe in the paranormal at all, and I loved watching their relationship develop. My favourite kind of relationship!

I enjoyed the plot line, it was intriguing to me, and a good bit of fun, I honestly couldn't predict what was going to happen next, nor did I want to, and to be honest I didn't even try. I enjoyed the story, I enjoyed being surprised and seeing what happened next. It's certainly a refreshing change from the Arcane series.
on 6 February 2015
I obviously didn't read the synopsis properly. I used to like Jayne's books but lately all I seem to see is paranormal stuff from her. Not my cup of tea. I have read a lot of her books when she wrote, or perhaps still writes, under her other names. I've given 3 stars because I believe she is a good author but I only read this book as far as the chapter which began with the rats and I'd had enough. I skipped to the last two pages and felt I had wasted my money.

My fault. Having read the synopsis again I feel I would prefer so watch the movie, The Mummy' as it would appear to be a similar storyline. I will try and find one of her 'normal' books as her hero's may always be the same man but what a man!
on 20 May 2013
can not help it always love any thing by this author love the way she mixes the past with " magic"
A+++++++
on 16 April 2014
Miss Beatrice Lockwood works as a paid companion at a speciallised agency that also has a paranormal aspect. In the course of a job she meets Joshua Gage who helps her foil a crime. Then the adventure begins...
I quite enjoyed this book and found it quite a compulsive read even though I figured out who the bad guy was early on. I love Jayne Ann Krentz and enjoy her books.
on 14 February 2014
I have been a longtime fan of 'Ms Quick's novels, and this one is simply not up the the standard set by, for example, the Vanza series. It's all exposition, very little action, and the story itself familiar from others in the many series the author has set in this time period. I kept waiting for the usual charm and romance to set in, to no avail.
on 13 July 2014
The second of the Ladies of Lantern Street mysteries I enjoyed this more than Crystal Gardens the first book.The paranormal aspects were more understandable and the action moved at a good pace and I didn't see the twist at the end coming!
on 15 July 2013
The story continues in the same vein as the rest of the series and I couldn't put it down; so much so that I have to reread her previous novels. My only disapointment is that I have to wait for the next in the series. Brilliant
on 30 May 2014
Superb read with all the mystery you expect from Amanda Quick,would suggest to read other books by Jayne Krentz which are a modern version of these stories