Format: Paperback|Change

on 18 June 2007
I'm glad that Sherrilyn Kenyon has done this book.After her last book which i didn't like (not one bit), i was worried that she was fed up of the dark hunters/werehunter's.Then this one came out.

Yes is it a slow starter.Yes its one that is set in an earlier time (set just before 'dance with the devil').Yes its about the dream hunter's.And we learn a few more things about Apollymi, that she does seem a good guy but she's a god in her own right.Gods are out for what they can get.

There is alot of new side character's to learn about as well.You get the feeling that the things in this book help to tide up some questions that you have when you read the other books.

I would reconmend this book instead of the dark side of the moon as it is more in keeping with what we know of the hunter's universe.Can't wait to read archeon's book as his heroine is in this book.you'll have to read it to see if you can find out who.Enjoy it as i did.
on 11 March 2007
I thought this book would be more Dark-Hunter related than other spin offs and ontology's, but I was disabused rather quickly. I must admit I never thought an author of SK's caliber would produce such a badly put together novel, in which there were numerous glaringly obvious editorial mishaps, and a very shaky plot. There seemed to be too many characters that have no reason of being in the plot, they added nothing, and eventually after introducing them they faded away. Some reviewers have commented about this book being another build up to the Acheron book, and I must admit, I agree. Yet, it doesn't build any suspense nor does it feed curiosity about Acheron, all it does is make every other book in the series seem like an after thought. Moreover, the whole scene where Acheron puts certain actions in motion which would eventually lead him to kill Nick are totally contrived, and I would think that such a "dramatic" scene could have been re-written in a more convincing manner. I really enjoyed the other Dark Hunter books, and I hope this is not an indicator of what's to come.

I recommend trying "Moon Called" by Patricia Briggs instead!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 11 February 2007
Arikos, an emotionless Erotikos Skoti is tolerated by the other Gods to help drain humans of excessive emotions; yet at last he has found a mind so vivid, inside her dreams he too can experience emotions. Drawn to this woman, he becomes so obsessed with wanting to meet her as a mortal he strikes a deal with Hades. For the opportunity of two weeks of mortality he is asked to trade the very soul of the woman he wishes to meet; and agreeing whilst still an emotionless Skoti, he has no idea of the hurt and anguish his decision will cause him in his human body.

Dr Megeara (Geary) Kafieri has witnessed most of her family die in their pursuit to prove the existence of Atlantis; however she too pursues the same goal relentlessly following a promise to her father on his death bed. Despite her quest, events in Geary's life are pretty normal until she and her crew rescue a drowning man; a man who bears an uncanny resemblance to her dream man, a fantasy lover who has erotically plagued her dreams for months. Although his in depth knowledge of Atlantis and ability to gain the permits she requires for excavation prove invaluable, Geary still remains wary of the mysterious Arik; however her attraction to this man is difficult to deny. Arik in turn begins to realise that maybe he was lucky not to have emotions; his own love for Geary now tempered by pain and grief that he has bargained away this woman's soul.

There is an almost dazzling array of characters in this book. Several Gods feature, including Hades, Persephone and Wink to name but a few, a new Dark-Hunter named Trieg is introduced and we encounter several additional supernatural beings, including Zebulon (aka ZT) a Chthonian (an immortal human more powerful than the Gods) and the Dolophoni (the assassins of the Greek Pantheon). The Atlantean goddess Apollymi the Destroyer features heavily, more so than in any previous Dark-Hunter book, and we in fact encounter a whole new side to her personality as she makes her presence known on the mortal world. We again encounter Katra, the handmaiden of Artemis who secretly loves Acheron; charged by one Goddess to hide the location of Atlantis by any means necessary, including the murder of Geary and her crew, and another which demands she free her. Not a difficult decision really; if Atlantis is discovered and Apollymi released the whole world and the Gods themselves face destruction. Lastly although hinted at in previous books, I think this is the first time SK conclusively reveals something of Acheron's mysterious parentage.

I did have some reservations about this book as I didn't find "Phantom Lover" (in the anthology "Midnight Pleasures") the only other Dream-Hunter story in print, to be as exciting as SK's Dark-Hunter books. As I expected, "Dream-Hunter" started off somewhat slower paced than previous books in this series; however SK soon swept me away with her paranormal romance. With plenty of action and this author's trademark wit (Arik soon discovers he can't treat Geary in the mortal world as he would in his dream world - well at least not publicly) I found myself enjoying "Dream-Hunter" far more than I thought I would, and in fact found it a better read than its predecessor "Dark Side of the Moon". I (as always) now eagerly await the next DH book; "Devil May Cry". Due for pub. July 07 this is the story of Sin, the ex Sumerian God of the moon and fertility tricked into servitude by Artemis.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 31 October 2014
A great instalment in the Dark Hunter series and first of the Dream Hunter series. Sherrilyn Kenyon's ability to intertwine Greek Mythology and fiction is superb as she brings the Gods of Olympus right up to date and into our modern, human world.

Arikos is a fallen God, a Dream-Hunter sating his need for emotions on human dreams, until one night when he comes across a human who's dreams are so vivid and so tempting that he can't help himself. And he'll do anything to experience those emotions with her in the real world.

Geary has spent all her life trying to distance herself from her families infatuation with proving that Atlantis was real. Desperate to avoid the ridicule and bad luck that has plagued them for years; the quest having claimed the lives of so many of her loved ones. But a promise made to her father on his deathbed has her seeking the very treasure she's denied all these years.

And when a handsome man literally falls into her life and is able to give her the permits she needs to continue her father's work, she can't believe her luck ... But does luck really have anything to do with it?

With strong, vivid characters, in a well-imagined world that fan's of Kenyon have come to love, it was hard to put this book down.

However, depending on which list you read, it was difficult to know where this story fit in with the Dark Hunter series. And on getting to the end I was surprised to find we were way back at the beginning with Kyrian and Zarek, before their stories were told. But aside from that confusion, Sherrilyn Kenton fans can't fail to enjoy this book.
I'm a huge fan of Sherrilyn Kenyon and the Dark-Hunters series but unfortunately this was my least favourite book in the series so far. Having said that it's probably still better than a lot of paranormal romance stories out there but I have high expectations when I pick up a book by this author and for some reason The Dream-Hunter didn't quite live up to them.

I did really enjoy finding out about the Dream Hunters and learning about their abilities but I was put off Arik because of his initial attitude towards Geary. He thought nothing of signing away her soul if it meant he got to spend 2 weeks as a human living with her and being able to experience real emotions and I find that kind of thing hard to forgive in my heroes. Admittedly Arik does change his mind and I was glad that he was willing to risk so much to keep her safe once he started to have feelings for her but by that point I wasn't as head over heels in love with him as I have been with all of SK's other heroes.

I liked Geary and I enjoyed finding out about her family's history and their search for Atlantis but I found her hard to connect to and I had a hard time buying into her relationship with Arik. The connection between them seemed to be more about their chemistry than any deeper emotional bond. I think I was actually more interested in the various side plots than I was in the main romance which is disappointing. I still enjoy this author's writing style, I love the richly developed and diverse world of the Dark-Hunters, she never seems to run out of new mythology to pull into the series and that side of things is just as fascinating as ever. The Dream-Hunter may not have been my favourite book but it hasn't put be off continuing the series and I have high hopes that Fear the Darkness will be as good or better than the earlier books.
I am officially hooked to the Dark Hunter World!

This is the eleventh book in the series and features the Oneroi become Skoti Arikos (Arik) and Dr Megeara (Geary) Kafieri. Geary is trying to locate Atlantis and show the world that it truly exists after promising her Father on his death bed that she would do so. Arik was once an Oneroi who are cursed by Zeus to live for ever without any emotions and are there to look after humans dream until his brother Solin unleashes a human onto him and he turns Skoti. Skoti have one wish and that is to feed off the emotions of humans, always searching for that next great 'hit' which Arik finds in Geary. Wanting to feel the emotions from her as a human he makes a deal with Hades to become human for two weeks only the price for those two weeks is Geary's soul. As Arik has been visiting her in her dreams for a while and she has shared some of her most intimate feelings with him Geary is drawn to him like a moth to a flame. Arik with his feelings now stronger for Geary must try to find a way to save her soul..... I really liked this book as the pace was quite fast with lots of new characters and action scenes. I loved the banter between Arik and Solin, some of those quips really did make me laugh. I also liked that Apollymi was featured more in this book and that I finally had my suspicion confirmed that she is in fact Acheron's mother. I can't wait now to read the next one in the series.

It took me quite a while to get around to discovering this series as when you look up Sherrilyn Kenyon on Amazon and these books in list order it actually shows Dragonswan as being the first book (but it's not) and Dragonswan is never ever available to buy! As a girl who likes to read all books in a series and most definitely the first one in a series, thinking that I couldn't get the first book did actually stop me starting the series. I have only just discovered that the first book is actually Fantasy Lover, read this and have now proceeded to order the rest of the series:) Sherrilyn has now joined the ranks on Gena Showalter and Kresley Cole on my favourite authors list and I can't wait to read the next one.
on 21 August 2007
I have recently discovered Sherrilyn Kenyon books and have been reading as many as i can. The Dark Hunter series is amazing, the women are strong and the men dont try and hide what they are. There is No lieing or deception that then ,with predictablitly, breaks up the couple only to have them make up again. The Dark Hunter books are well worth a try, i cant put them down. The Dream Hunter though was so dull i struggled to read the book. I felt no connection to the charaters, they seemed cold and uncaring. The book did nothing for me except get me to wonder if this poor piece of writting had really come from such a reliable writer. I recommend not bothering with this book. I hope the next in the series gets a lot better.
on 8 March 2011
Several other reviewers have commented that this was slow to start, but I don't agree. Within the first few pages I was caught up in the story and could see the conflict starting to develop. Arik cannot feel emotion (allegedly) so cannot understand how he'll feel when he sacrifices Geary's soul. Until he meets her. And falls in love.

There are some lovely touches of humour, not only the sharp edged banter between Solin and Arik, but Arik's confusion at how to behave in the human world. For instance, in dreams, if you want to go to a restaurant you just appear there. In reality, you have to wait for a table. Also his confusion about Geary wearing a bra when she never wears one in her dreams.

Geary's suspicion of this handsome stranger is well drawn and the story is compelling with enough twists and turns to keep you interested.

I look forward to more of the Dream Hunters :-)
on 23 April 2007
I do admit that I'm a huge fan of the Dark-Hunter series, and so took the chance with reading the beginning of the Dream-Hunter saga which is this book. I recommend reading 'Phantom Lover' beforehand in the Midnight Pleasures short story novella, as it will give you a brief insight to the Skoti and the oneroi Dream-Hunter's which is explained further in this novel.

I did find my mind wandering sometimes with this book, and at times the story was slow paced and not as captivating as the Dark-Hunter books, but something did happen in this story that I was really captivated by, and if you love the mystery of Atlantis and the goddess Apollymi which I personally do, then I was pleased with a few of the events that took place in this book. I liked the fact we saw Hades too, as he's not been introduced (fully) as yet in the Dark-Hunter series.

Sherrilyn has done a good job with the characters though, and Katra is slowing becoming a favourite of mine and I hope to see her again in the future, we also get a further glimpse of Olympus. So don't rule this book out completely. If you love the Dark-Hunters then read this book because they do tie in closely together as Acheron is mentioned in passing a few times.
on 1 March 2008
I got this after reading a review that mentioned another of her books. I wanted to start at the beginning of the series and that i think is the downfall of this book. Kenyon is clearly setting up for her series so introduces a lot of characters and mythology that is at times hard to keep up with. Its also pretty hard to get involved with the hero when he's a bit of a tool. Although the heroine is pretty flat too. However I did push on with it and it gets a lot better towards the end and you catch glimpses that perhaps the next book will be better as kenyon can pad out all these characters who just have names and a four line description.