5.0 out of 5 stars My new favourite series
Published on 5 April 2012 by Claire's Book Corner

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun but a problem with emotional conflict
Having enjoyed the first book I was looking forward to seeing what Darynda would come up with in her second offering. After all, the first book sets the world and announces the author, the second has to hit home just as hard to keep the fans die hard demanding the next title.

Published on 21 Mar. 2012 by Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog

5.0 out of 5 stars My new favourite series, 5 April 2012
Oh my goodness this book is amazing, funny, brilliant and unputdownable (I know that's not even a word but that's how good this book is, it has me inventing words). If you don't know this series it is about Charley Davidson who is the grim reaper plus she is also a PI. Reyes Farrow is the hot gorgeous sexy bad boy son of Satan who keeps popping up in his corporeal body for a booty call and to protect Charley from all the deadly scrapes she gets in. In this book Charley helps find a missing woman, tries to solve the murders surrounding the woman's disappearance whilst also trying to find Reyes body which is being tortured be demons. All in a days work for our Charley.

Ms Jones has created a fantastic series, it is up there now as one of my favourites and I am addicted to it. I cannot tell you how funny it is from the chapter headings down to the snarky comments from Charley. The scenes between Charley and Reyes are so hot and tense that I get into a dribbling frenzy reading them. Plus Reyes is a bad boy, I mean he is good protecting Charley and all that, but he is also bad. In book 1 he threatens Charley saying he will have to kill her rather that let his father have her. Oh man I am a sucker for a bad boy.

The characters are wonderful I don't have a bad word to say about any of them. The plot running along side the Reyes/Charley story is really good and the Reyes/Charley story is awesome. We find out more about both of them in book 2 and I am excited to learn even more about them in book 3, speaking of which I have gone straight into book 3 Third Grave Straight Ahead. I am already having panic attacks about finishing book 3. What am I going to do then? How am I going to get my Charley and Reyes fix? Second Grave On The Left is absolutely amazing I highly recommend it, I'm going to give it 5 stars. If you haven't read this series please do so as you are seriously missing out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Crazy, bittersweet, funny yumminess!, 12 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Second Grave on the Left (Charley Davidson) (Paperback)
Absolutely fabulous, funny and touching read, I loved this book even more than the first one!

"Make it quick," I said when I picked up.
"Okay. Two men from the FBI are here." Cookie said. Quickly.
Crap. "Men in black are at the office?"
"Well, yes, but they're actually in more of a navy."
Crapola. I so don't have time for men. In any color. "Okay, two questions. Do they look mad, and are they hot?"
After a long, long, pause, Cookie said, "One, not really. Two, no comment at this time. And three, you're on speakerphone."
After another long, long pause, I said, "Okie dokie then. Be there in a jiff."

I love Charley Davidson series because it's not only hilarious treasure trove of quotes, but it's full of action, twists and turns and small secrets that you're never really ready to deal with :)

Charley is extremely charismatic, a character you can't help but instantly fall in love with and her life is pure chaos that she seems to thrive upon.

The slew of secondary characters easily compliments the main heroine - Cookie, Garrett, Charley's uncle - they are fabulous for comic relief. Reyes on the other hand is this malevolent furious force, which brings darkness to this book. He is torn trying to keep Charley away from the danger and determined to destroy her before his dad will get his hands onto Miss Davidson's shiny pretty light.

Perhaps this is why this series is so alluring. There is plenty of light and laughter but at the same time, cruelty and darkness which doesn't necessarily come from the supernatural. Usually it's the common criminals that Charley has to fight, and very rarely it's something paranormal.

Crazy, funny, bittersweet yumminess! Fantastic series which I'd recommend to anyone

4.0 out of 5 stars Sassy paranormal investigations, 29 May 2015
Rowena Hoseason "Hooligween" (Kernow, Great Britain) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: Second Grave on the Left (Charley Davidson) (Paperback)
This is the second in the ‘grave’ series, featuring PI and not-so-grim reaper Charley and her sizeable sidekick, Cookie. It’s a far-from-serious, occasionally spicy (but nothing X-rated) gumshoe story with a side dish of supernatural sprinkles. Set in the USA roundabout now, the story revolves around an ongoing plot with Charley’s lifetime protector and would-be beau, who happens to be the son of Satan and possibly the herald of the apocalypse.

The romantic arc plays second fiddle to the ostensible investigation involving a missing old friend and a bunch of suicides, accidents and maybe-murders which are almost certainly suspicious. Here the story mixes Charley’s ability to see and speak with the dead and – as they pass through her en route to the other side – to experience their lives and memories secondhand, along with time-honoured private investigator stuff.
It’s all quickly-paced, rapid reading, with the witty one liners and snappy banter rattling off every page. The main plot, regarding the fallen angel Rey’aziel and his unfeasibly hot body, barely progresses while every other thread scampers along, but that’s the core to the series so you can’t expect to many revelations all at once. We do learn a lot more about Reyes’ origins and, in turn, Charley’s personal mysteries, but there are plenty of threads left dangling for future episodes.
There’s a lot to enjoy in this easy-going adventure and none of it requires too much reader input, nor is it particularly gruelling or gritty. Think Stephanie Plum with a spookynatural twist and you’ll be on the right wavelength. You don’t need to have read the first book in the series to enjoy this one. There's more thoughts on plot and character over at murdermayhemandmore.net

The writing is sharp and sassy and packed with attitude without being nasty. It's a thoroughly entertaining romp. I’d be happy to read the next one in the series.
7/10

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent continuation to this feel good UF series, 9 Mar. 2012
In some ways this was even more enjoyable than book one. Although I slightly preferred the murder mystery plot in First Grave on the Right, this time, because we know these characters now and have a lot more info on the bigger picture, it was more effective. I was saddened by some of the scenes and revelations because I care about these characters and what happens to them. Yet more evidence that, although this series is hilarious in places, it has a serious underbelly that catches you by surprise every now and again.

Charley has experienced a rather steep learning curve recently. Specifically about her own skill set. It's great that even though it seemed like we began with a girl who knew all there was to know about being the Grim Reaper, she really couldn't have been more wrong.

This series has some outstanding secondary characters that really support Charley and allow her to shine. I particularly love Cookie, her BFF. Their dialogue scenes are excellent in the way they bounce off one another. I like UB (Uncle Bob) too for his supportive nature. I also really like Garret and their repartee. As a possible second option, he's pretty darn cute. And then of course there's Reyes Farrows *thud*. The man gets more mysterious the more you learn about him. How is that even possible?

It's a shame that not everyone seems to appreciate Charley the way I/they do. Those bad guys just keep on coming. And they are not the only ones to blind side her in this instalment.

All in all, an excellent continuation to this feel good UF series. You know I have to go and read book three now, don't you?

5 Stars!

4.0 out of 5 stars Charley Davidson book 2, 13 Jan. 2012
Sarah (Feeling Fictional) (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Second Grave on the Left (Charley Davidson) (Paperback)
I really enjoyed First Grave on the Right so I was looking forward to catching up with Charley and her friends in Second Grave on the Left. This really is such a fun series and one that never fails to make me laugh while I'm reading it, from the T-Shirt slogan chapter headings, to Charley's snarky commentary and to the witty banter between the characters I giggle my way through the stories. I'd been a little nervous that the humour wouldn't be as good in the second book but I wasn't at all disappointed and I can't wait to get my hands on the next installment.

Cookie's friend Mimi is missing and she has asked Charley to help find her but the deeper they dig the more they come to realise that something big is going down. Not only is Mimi missing but more and more of her old school friends are turning up dead, someone has a secret to hide but can Charley figure it out in time? At the same time she is desperately trying to track down Reyes' body before the demons who are torturing him can destroy his body. Reyes is visiting her in spirit and is determined to let his body die but when he admits that he may end up back in hell if that happens Charley knows she will do anything to prevent it. But the demons want nothing more than to get their hands on Charley and use her as a portal to heaven and Reyes isn't prepared to let her risk it.

Charley is a great main character but I love this series as much for the crazy side characters and of course the sexy son of Satan Reyes. Charley's best friend Cookie is a hilarious sidekick and watching the pair of them working together reminds me of Stephanie & Lulu from Janet Evanovich's series. Charley really needs a friend like Cookie who always has her back because it seems like most of the people in her life are keeping secrets from her. I think I was most annoyed at the actions of her dad though, it wasn't so much what he did (that was understandably in a twisted kind of way) but the fact that he didn't warn her what he'd done. I can't say more than that without giving spoilers but I think anyone who has read the book will understand what I'm talking about. I felt that Charley seemed to forgive him for what he'd done a little too quickly but since it happened right at the end of the book I'm hoping she'll make him suffer in the next installment.

I wasn't sure what to make of Reyes in the first book, he started to grow on me towards the end but it wasn't until Second Grave on the Left that he really had me hooked. I still have some questions about him and really want to get to know him better but he definitely has the whole sexy, dark and dangerous vibe going on which is a plus point! I still really like Garrett though and enjoy his banter with Charley and the fact that he is also protective of her. Second Grave on the Left was a great installment to the series and has earned Darynda Jones a spot on my list of must buy authors. I can't wait to see what happens next and thankfully there is less than a month until the release of Third Grave Dead Ahead, it's already at the top of my wish list!

4.0 out of 5 stars YES! MORE CHARLEY DAVIDSON !! 4.5*, 7 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Second Grave on the Left (Charley Davidson) (Paperback)
"Second Grave on the Left" is the second Charley Davidson novel.the first novel "First Grave on the Right" was a great surprise to me.i normally prefer books written in the second person,whereas this series is written in the first.that,however,did not put me off at all whilst reading the book(S).
synopsis: charley davidson,part-time PI,full-time grim reaper.the deceased find her very sparkly,and demons find her irresistible.however,charley doesn't have time to dwell on this:shes got a missing woman to track down.meanwhile,Reyes Alexander Farrow (otherwise known as the son of satan) is haunting charley.hes left his corporeal body because he's being tortured by demons who want to lure charley closer.but if the demons get to her,they will have a portal to heaven...

this books starts off a week after the last novel,which though in itself can be read as a stand alone novel,i would recommend reading the previous book first,which gives the two main characters more depth and shows the progression in their relationship.the story is well paced and action packed.i especially enjoyed the witty banter throughout.the characters,both main and secondary,are unique and refreshing and not the usual set-up and style of characters seen consistently in other books.i especially like the relationship between charley and her uncle Bob(AKA Ubie depending on charley's mood).charley is an extremely likable character,who may have supernatural abilities but still has flaws and doesn't always get everything right.Reyes is a very unique lead male.at times he is dark and sexy and almost likable and other times there is a total mix of feeling i had towards him,which to me honest left me begging for more of him!the ending was great,leaving me impatient for the third book in the series(Which i have pre-ordered)
my only criticisms of this book are that i feel the wrap up to the case was a tad quick,though the ivestigation was good,i would like to have seen the culprits reaction on getting caught.further,i,like another reviewer, believe that charley should not have been as forgiving towards her father,even more so as their relationship is not overly a bonded father\daughter relationship.
nevertheless,this is a great story,with a great underlying plot,that keeps the book fresh and exciting and a great addition to this series.i think the author has a lot to offer,and i for one will be waiting to receive every helping of Charley Davidson i can get!!
i believe people who like books such as Kerri Arthur's Riley Jenson series would enjoy this.
4.5*

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun but a problem with emotional conflict, 21 Mar. 2012
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

What the second Charley Davidson title does is allow the character to grow and breathe a bit more as her role as a reaper grows. Add to this some clever twists with an author who knows how to manipulate you and you're in for a treat. At least that what I was expecting and pretty much got until I found part of the tale unbelievable as no matter who you are the act of betrayal is never an easy pill to swallow, no matter who it is. All in, apart from this problem I had a story that I not only enjoyed but one that left me wondering what the third part would have in store.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!!, 30 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Second Grave on the Left (Charley Davidson) (Paperback)
I loved this second book more than the first one. I was hooked from the frst chapter,
it starts with charley's best friend cookie has just bought a car and they are in the car and charley says something to do with the dead...so cookie then freaked and yep there was a dead trunk guy!
One of Cookies high school friends has gone missing and Charley Davidson PI and Grim Reaper invesgates the case.

I Liked Reyes Farrow a lot more in this book and even felt very sorry for him really but i thought it was sweet that he is always there to protect her because she seems to have mad guys coming at her from all sense of direction lol!
I loved all the wittyness and sarcasm again in this book, it got me giggling to myself. I Cant wait to read the third book.

Would recommend any one to read these books! xox

5.0 out of 5 stars Kindle Addict, 18 Feb. 2013
Everything one would expect from a Charley Davidson story - crime, compassion and an utterly scrummy bad man. The supporting characters give you a real feeling for the life that Charley lives. I have downloaded the next tale as it is hard to let go such a good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Second Grave on the Left, 14 May 2014
When I finished with First Grave my feet did not hit the ground until I had found and purchased Second Grave - this book is equally as absorbing as First Grave! The main characters are just as absorbing and you feel such empathy with them, that you almost feel yourself as part of the characters themselves. She is still as cheeky, witty and funny as ever and her love and admiration for her phantom is just as absorbing - you will have to read the stories yourself as I have no intention of ruining the plots for you!! This has got to be one of the nicest romantic/adventure/sci fi series I have had the pleasure to read in the past few years. This series is most definitely a "must read" as far as I am concerned!

Second Grave on the Left (Charley Davidson)
Second Grave on the Left (Charley Davidson) by Darynda Jones (Paperback - 5 Jan. 2012)