5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic book and great series.
I first discovered this in the book isle of my local Asda. It isn't the kind of book I would normally read but I was hard pressed for choice and decided to give it a try. Boy was I suprised!
Published on 25 Sept. 2007 by Book Worm

3.0 out of 5 stars promisicous werewolf spoils story
Published on 11 Nov. 2009 by PD

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic book and great series., 25 Sept. 2007
Keri Arthur is a very talented writer. The world she has created is so realistic you can almost feel the atmosphere she describes. She goes into the book as if you already know all about her world, and even though I didn't have a clue, I forgot that I didn't the minute I started reading.
The characters in this book are the best I have seen in a long while and I am in the process of reading my way through the rest of the series. Keri Arthur has got me hooked on this genre. and I fully intend to see this series to the end.
A very well written and entertaining series which I couldn't put down. I would recommend this for people who have read this genre before but I would also say that this series is a great entry point at which to begin.

5.0 out of 5 stars "No sex please, we're british!", 6 May 2007
Mamalicious (Lancashire, UK.) - See all my reviews
At long last, we have a book that embodies all the excellent qualities of paranormal romance without all the unnecessary sexual marathons of "Anita Blake-esque" novels. Yes, there is a good dollop of "hot loving" in this book but just the right amount. Call me a prude, but I don't think it's a quality read when the leading lady bonks 3 different shifters or vamps on the way to the supermarket, then a further 10 on the return journey. This does tend to result in a "same old - same old".

The story itself is gritty and punchy and highlights Riley, the protagonist, as a kick ass were/vamp hybrid with a conscience. The love interest Quinn is deadly yet affable and I would most certainly like to meet him in a dark alley. Yes, hang onto your knicker elastic, this one's going to be a bumby ride!

All in all, a really enjoyable read. The characters were believeable and the plot convincing. A welcome deviation from the normal were/vamp paranormal romance novels, one that focuses on plot and an actual story as opposed to how many sexual positions the author can fit into 1 chapter!

I'm just about to buy all the books in this series. Yes, they're that good! Definately clear a space in your study - this one's a keeper.

3.0 out of 5 stars promisicous werewolf spoils story, 11 Nov. 2009
PD (London, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This book is well written, has a semi-decent plot and some good characters, particularly Quinn the vampire. However the story was slightly spoilt for me when the main character half vampire/half werewolf Riley, has to basically sleep with any randy man near her because of the week leading up to the full moon. So for example in one day she spends most of it with her different sex mates jumping from one bed to another. Maybe I'm a bit of prude but I'd rather the heroine stuck to one man and maybe one other who she actually cared for. Too much detached sex in this book and very little romance! Riley just doesn't care enough about anything but her sexual needs and it's a shame because it puts me off the rest of the series.

1.0 out of 5 stars Promiscuity ruins it, 6 Mar. 2011
I'm a real fan of supes. So I gave Keri Arthur and her werewolf/vampire heroine Riley Jenson a go.

However, I will not be buying her books again. The main reason for this is the abundance of gratuitous sex scenes. Riley's need for sex with any man just to take the edge of the "moon heat" - during which the need to mate being all-consuming - consumed my interest in the story / plot.

I'll be throwing this book in the bin and will happily refer other supe-fans to Chloe Neill, Kelley Armstrong, Richelle Mead, Rachel Caine, Cast ... And if sex scenes are your thing read Lyndsay Sands or Nalini Singh instead. At least those generate some heat.

Don't waste your time and money on this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars A howlingly good read, 21 Aug. 2007
I'm not a real fan of what I call "white" Australian writing though some authors do have merit but not many (could change my mind here!), but I have to confess I have really enjoyed Keri Arthur's series of books with Riley Jensen as the reluctant Vampire/Warewolf Hybrid who finds herself in a whole heap of trouble when her twin brother goes missing (he's a Guardian and works for an organisation that helps keep the peace between humans and other world creatures) and bodies start piling up, an amnesiac hunky Vampire appears at her apartment, and she is reluctantly dragged into the murky world of the Guardians in order to find her brother and work out why someone is trying to kill her new Vampire friend.

Riley is a likable protagonist with surprising human failings (despite being a non-human) such as compassion and kindness, hence the reason she refuses to become a Guardian and would rather work for them as an Administrator but her boss Jack knows she is perfectly capable of being as ruthless as her brother, something she has been avoiding since coming to the big city to live.

All in all a good fun and easy read which I can highly recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Urban Fantasy For Adults, 25 Nov. 2013
Angie T.D. (Wales) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I like urban fantasy but too often I feel like I'm in the wrong age group,teenage romances are not really my thing.This book is definately for grown ups, I have to say the sex scenes are quite often a bit full on for me, and are not what attracts me to this book ,I tend to skip over them.What I like are the characters especially Riley and the dynamics going on,the story is not bad either,cracking start to a series I'd say.

4.0 out of 5 stars Full Moon Rising, 21 Jun. 2010
Amazon Customer "Naomi" (Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Full Moon Rising is the first book in the Riley Jenson Guardian series by Keri Arthur. This book is exploding with action and sexual encounters. It will certainly have you sitting on the edge of your seat with anticipation.

Our half vampire, half werewolf, Riley Jenson is just another Directorate liaison officer until her brother goes missing. She then has to delve deeper into the Guardian world than she has ever wanted to and along the way she meets an extremely, unavailable naked vampire.

This book covers a lot of action for the adrenaline junkies out there and a lot of descriptive sex scenes for the nymphomaniacs. We see Riley getting down and dirty with a couple of different wolves who she has selected carefully to satisfy her needs. Both can give her what she wants in different ways, which pleases Riley as this is how she likes it.

Riley is a very confident woman, both in her human and wolf form. She is sure of who and what she is. She knows she doesn't want to become a Guardian no matter what even though her boss would like that to change and she knows she doesn't want to die. Pushing Riley into situations she doesn't agree with will set off the wolf in her, so watch out. I wouldn't want to be close by.

Riley and Rhoan have kept what they are secret from their co-workers, lovers and friends. They have even kept the fact that they are twins hidden. Their secret is soon uncovered but what does this lead them into?

My favourite part of the book was all the flirting between Riley and Quinn. Got me hot and bothered just thinking about it. Also, there was a sibling protectiveness in a certain scene that had me thinking I am thankful that I am not that crazy wolf trying to kill anyone, especially not these creatures as they will rip your throat out.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book once I got into it. I did think it was lacking in some description regarding the shifting back and forth from human to wolf forms. I also got lost quite a bit with the timing in this book. I was never sure if it was night or day but that's probably me just picking things up wrong. The plot was substantial and I was forever wondering where the author was going to take me next. I felt like I had seen all there was in this world and all the horrible things that could happen if I was a werewolf by halfway through the book, but I was wrong. There was more. This book kept me on my toes and I like that.

Disclaimer: I do not own this book, I borrowed it from my local library. I have not been paid to review this book and everything I have said is of my own honest opinion.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good, 13 Jan. 2014
Tali (Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
Wasn't sure what to expect with this, but it was recommended for me after reading another urban fantasy series. As things go, this is borderline erotica at times, but luckily not so much that it steals from the actual story. In terms of characters, it took me a while to warm up to Riley, but as time goes by its clear to see she's a strong independent female lead with a lot of personality.

This book, in short, concentrates on Riley's missing brother before falling into a more involved plot. We also meet the main characters for this part of the series, including Riley's boss, love interests and reoccurring acquaintances. As already mentioned, there are a fair number of adult scenes in this book that keep things spiced up in the romance section, but ones that also left me feeling a bit cold - most likely because there are multiple men involved in her life. I understand the characters point of view, but I also felt it made things a little less attractive overall - sometimes when it comes to romance and sex scenes less is more, especially when Quinn comes onto the scene.

Overall I enjoyed this book, not the best I've ever read, but a nice introduction to a new series and with characters I'll want to read more about. I've already started the second in the series and have found it more enjoyable than the first, so thing's do get better.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great start to the series., 23 April 2010
I picked this book after being recommended by a friend, and I really enjoyed it.
I have never read a paranormal story with a hybrid as the main character and I love the idea, best of both worlds I say!!
Riley is a great character, she is witty, attractive, clever and very confident but thats what you get being half vampire half werewolf. The other characters are really well written, especially Quinn, I can see he might end up on my fav vampire list! It is not set in the world we live in either very much like the Anita Blake series, where everyone knows that vampire, shifters and other paranormal creatures exsist. I am looking forward to reading the rest of the series.

1.0 out of 5 stars A waste of a talented writer, 3 July 2012
The ideas in this novel are good, the characters could be as well - the author could clearly good at what she is - almost - doing and that is to develop characters who do what they do for a reason. It would be nice to see them develop at all. Unfortunately this gets sacrificed for endless repetition of the same stock phrases and sex scenes that a justified by some kind of moon heat for werewolves. The whole thing is shoddily developed and the main character can't be older than 15, emotionally juvenile and boringly one dimensional. Even the sex scenes get boring really quickly, wham bam thank you mam is the kindest thing one could say about them.
I'm not sure if I should be more annoyed with the author or the editor for taking a really good idea and making such a bad book out of it - hence the annoyed one star. One for the editor is leaving in numerous repetitive phrases about the moon heat. Just because you are repeating something nonsensical doesn't make it any more believable, and what is one of the oldest in any book - show, don't tell. I'm not buying any more of the books because if I have to read one more time what an emotion is doing to some part of someone's face (amusement/mirth/anger tucked at the corners of his mouth, again over used in EVERY conversation and encounter), I would bin the book in frustration anyway. And to repeat myself only once - rather than over and over like the author - repeating something over and over just makes it boring.

Conclusion - Don't bother and If you like this kind of gritty heroine, try any of the urban fantasy by C.E. Murphy.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Full Moon Rising: Number 1 in series (Riley Jenson Guardian)
Full Moon Rising: Number 1 in series (Riley Jenson Guardian) by Keri Arthur (Paperback - 3 Feb. 2011)