5.0 out of 5 stars NY2D - Ms Robb does it again!
Oh my, oh my! I knew that this book would be awesome, and as I have said before, I am not unbiased, but this is a fabulous read!

Published on 16 Sep 2011 by Mrs. Debs Heard

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed in Death!
I was really looking forward to reading this book ~ having read all the others and loved them ~ this one was a great let-down ~ I can only say it had bits of JD Robb writing whilst the rest appeared to be fill ins by some-one else ~ just didn't ring true ~ the wording ~ continuity of the relationship between Eve and Roarke ~ even their dialogue didn't sound like them!! I...
Published on 22 Nov 2011 by Maggie de Havilland-Hall

5.0 out of 5 stars NY2D - Ms Robb does it again!, 16 Sep 2011
This review is from: New York To Dallas: 33 (Hardcover)

If you are new to the series and decide to start with this one, it won't have the same breathtaking punches that fans of the rest of the series will have, but I think it will MAKE you read the other books because there is so much history and story arcing in this one.

If you are already a fan of the series, your patience will be rewarded! Eve and Roarke are put on an emotional rollercoaster ride and you can really see the changes in their relationship and themselves with this story.

There are too many ways to spoil the story, so I can't/won't give too much away, but I will say that J D Robb/Nora Roberts pulls off an amazing banquet of delight here. I will say that I did see some of it coming, but my heart wrenched for Eve and Roarke as the story unfolded, and I didn't mind being a step ahead of Eve for a page or two (for a change)!

In places, I had to put the book down, not just due to having to work but also because there is so much emotion in some of the pages, it was difficult to read. Easy to read the words but not so easy to deal with the emotions that they invoke!

Wow! Wow! Wow!

I also have to say that the UK cover is fantastic - it is a scorching read and really does stand out from the rest of the pack, but for me that has to be because I know the other books so well. I have seen Eve and Roarke develop their relationship and themselves, so it isn't such a shocker at how they deal with the situations that they are in but man, what did Eve ever do to J D Robb/Nora Roberts that she would deliver such vicious punches to the dedicated cop of her own creation??!!

As ever, now I have devoured the book in (almost) one gulp, I will be going back through it at a more sedate pace and really, truly, relishing each and every word and sinew.

A great read; a fabulous edition to the series; and I am delighted I have it in hardback - it truly is a book I will treasure (along with the 30-odd other books and novellas on the adventures of Dallas, Lieutenant Eve)!

...and now I can't wait for the next one!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Does not disappoint, 17 Sep 2011
Elf Leader (Cambridge England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: New York To Dallas: 33 (Hardcover)
Was a little worried when this book title came out and it did not end with "in death" as I thought that the format and story-lines were going to change, did not need to worry though this book is fantastic. If you have not read the previous books in the series I would think that you can still enjoy the story but it would be so much better if you were aware of the back story. Only downside was it did not have enough Peabody in it. Thoroughly recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars new york to dallas, 17 Oct 2011
This book was above all the other books I have read, and I have read them all.The twist in it was very good. One small thing,I would have liked more of the secondary characters in this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars BRILLIANT, 4 Oct 2011
This review is from: New York To Dallas: 33 (Hardcover)
One of the best if not THE BEST book in ;IN DEATH; series.It`s really hard to remember that this is fiction-the characters are so brilliantly written and the places so real.Excepcional work.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm now sorry I didn't buy this, but waited for it at the library. This is brilliant and a Keeper., 6 Oct 2011
ROROBLU'S MUM "ROROBLU'S MUM" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: New York To Dallas: 33 (Hardcover)
The last few In Death books have been ones that I didn't buy, as they are an autobuy at my library, and I normally have them within a few days of the publication date, and frankly, the last two were not as brilliant, and I was starting to wonder if we were seeing the beginning of the end of the series. This one took a little longer to get, and I am annoyed that I didn't buy it immediately, as it ROCKED.!

I've criticised JDR in recent books as we've not seen many of the interpersonal relationships that IMHO make this series so good, and I was wondering where she could take Eve Dallas, and if the series might be being forced to come to an end, but with this book, she TOTALLY REVITALISES things.

Eve faces and slays more of her demons; Roarke is even more of her knight-in-shining-armour, and he has the battle scars - both mental and physical - to show for it; Peabody is more confident and gets a chance to stand on her own to feet, and ably so. We see how Truehart seems to be developing into a very decent cop with empathy and feeling, despite the influence of his partner Baxter. We learn more about Eve and Feeney's relationship, and more about her beginnings, about the childhood trauma that she went through, and the strength of character that got her through those times and that has made her the cop she is today. Eve The Woman, still remains fragile, but makes progress in this tale.

The amazon synopsis is excellent, and other reviews go into good detail, so I won't repeat any of this, but I will say that it's a book that I couldn't put down. It had Eve at her best, despite the issues being so close to her that she was in danger of 'not seeing the wood for the trees', but she stayed true to form. I loved how the tale was set so that Rourke could free up time to be her partner instead of the loyal Peabody, and I loved that he was there so unstintingly, in EVERY possible way for her, and that we also got to see his emotions in the face of his wife's emotional state. Their relationship continues to deepen and mature, and with this book, I got the impression that even if everything in their lives changed or disappeared, they would still be a solid, untouchable unit of two - until death doeth them part.

There was only a sprinkling of the characters that I've come to know and love, and very little personal Eve&Roarke time, but despite this, the tale absolutely rocked.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 19 Sep 2011
C. J. Pike "Avid Reader" (West Sussex, England) - See all my reviews
In the words of Mavis "It is MAG" I reckon one of the best yet, don't miss out just because it does not have "In Death" in the title. It is still Eve and Roarke doing what they do best.

5.0 out of 5 stars riveting reading,can't wait for the next one, 17 Oct 2011
This review is from: New York To Dallas: 33 (Hardcover)
JD ROBB is an amazing writter,she always has me caught up in the story it feels like i am part of it.If you have never read a JD ROBB or NORA ROBERTS book then you are sadly missing out on the best read ever!In this book Eve and Roarke have to follow a pedophile and killer to Dallas,This brings so many bad memories for Eve but it also brings her pain as she "meets" someone who she never expected to see again!
This a must read book for all fans of JD ROBB but also for anyone who is a Jd "virgin".

5.0 out of 5 stars Turning point for the series, 16 Oct 2011
This review is from: New York To Dallas: 33 (Hardcover)
I was slighlty worried, a little like other people that this wasn't titled '...in death' but it becomes very clear that this book is a defining turning point in the series. You gain some finality to Eve's past in this book, and whilst the story doesnt involved alot of the other character eg. Peabody, Mavis, there soon becomes a reason for this. Taking the setting of the story out of New York was a change - and whilst getting used to the feeling of Dallas, it sort of echoed Eve's own journey.
It was a great action packed, usual dectective story unlying other personal journeys and although i did see one 'shock' coming, it still didnt disappoint.
At the end of the book you were left with a satifisting conculsion and you feel like Eve has finally put behind her, her past and is looking to the future. The next book continues with a '...in death' title and it makes this book feel even more like THE turning point for Eve and Roarke.
Not to be missed, and i am certainly counting down the days to Feb 2012 and the next book!

5.0 out of 5 stars #33 In Death Series, 3 May 2013
As an avid fan of the In Death series all I really needed to know was where this one fit. If you're like me then it's number 33 and comes after Treachery in Death and before Chaos in Death (the novella) and Celebrity in Death.

5.0 out of 5 stars J.D. Robb and Eve Dallas at their best, 22 Feb 2012
Marleen (Cavan, Ireland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: New York To Dallas: 33 (Hardcover)
Eve Dallas's first ever arrest as a rookie cop in New York was an accident. During a house-to-house investigation she stumbled across a depraved paedophile who was collecting young girls in his apartment for his enjoyment. This arrest kick-started Eve's career in homicide and brought back the first memories of her own, horrific, childhood.
Now, twelve years later, Eve is a lieutenant in New York's Homicide squad and that sick criminal, Isaac McQueen, has escaped from prison with two goals in mind. He wants to get back to his depraved habits and he wants his revenge on Eve.
When McQueen escapes to Dallas, Texas, and abducts a young woman who was one of the girls rescued by Eve, she feels she has no choice but to follow him there, find him and re-arrest him.
But Dallas is where Eve's past lies and it is a place she hoped to never have to go back to. With her husband, Roarke, by her side Eve thinks that she's able to keep her own feelings and memories under control while hunting down McQueen. She couldn't have known that her past still holds surprises for her and that she's not only putting her life in danger but also her sanity.

This is the 33rd instalment in the Eve Dallas series and while it can easily be read by someone who has never read a book by J.D. Robb before, this story leans on past story-lines maybe more than other books in the series did. During the previous 32 books Eve's memories of her horrific early years have slowly been returning to her and coming to terms with everything that happened to her has been an even slower process. In many ways that past comes to a climax in this book, and I think the reader who is familiar with the emotional rollercoaster she's been on would get most out of this book. Having said that, Robb includes enough details from earlier books for a novice to her series to be able to keep up and get the full picture.

As expected, this was a fast, thrilling and exciting story. J.D. Robb rarely disappoints me with one of her Eve and Roarke adventures.
Robb's characters are strong, recognizable, clever, and fun. Conversations sparkle, the action is descriptive and exciting while the intimate scenes are hot. What's not to like?
The ingredients are familiar; horrible crimes, a deprived but clever criminal, Eve's dark humour, Roarke's technical wizardry and an explosive finale. And yet, even though I know exactly what to expect before I pick up the book, these stories never fail to completely grab a hold of me and keep me hooked until the very last page, leaving me wanting more as soon as I close the book.
You would expect such predictability to lessen my reading enjoyment, but it doesn't. If anything, the experience is quite the opposite. I look at these books as a sort of homecoming, a safe read when I need something to lift my spirits.
J.D. Robb is of course the pseudonym Nora Roberts adopted when she decided to try her hand at a mystery series set in the not too distant future. Fans of Nora Roberts' romance novels will recognise a lot in these stories and characters. The main difference between Robb and Roberts is that the Eve Dallas books are proper mysteries and plotted as such. While romance does play a big role in these books, it takes a backseat to the crimes committed and the process of solving these mysteries.
I can only hope that Robb will continue with this series for as long as I'm able to read.

New York To Dallas: 33
New York To Dallas: 33 by J. D. Robb (Paperback - 15 Mar 2012)