5.0 out of 5 stars Great Storytelling
I really dreaded this book. While I love J.R.Ward, I absolutely loathe stories involving men with the "dead wife"-syndrome (an all the clichés that it will entail), so I was in kind of a bind with this book.

Published on 23 Mar. 2012 by Sylarah

3.0 out of 5 stars Not enough focus on the romantic pairing
Published on 31 Mar. 2012 by Genre addict

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Storytelling, 23 Mar. 2012

Despite my misgivings, this book is amazing. This is really great storytelling, and while I don't necessarily agree with all the plot developments or think this book is perfect, I still LOVE it. Ward has really outdone herself with this book. The storytelling is great as always, the plots (and there are many) are engaging and really interesting, the character development is really emotional and intense, and all these threads are seamlessly weaved together by Ward to create a great story.

Character development and relations are really where this book shines. The book mainly follows Qhuinn, John, Xhex, Layla, Xcor's Band of Bastards, Lassiter, Thor and No'One, and the multitude of evolving relationships, mainly of the non-romantic kind.

This is probably the least romance focused book of the entire series, and people who miss the style of the first five books in the series will probably be disappointed with the lack of romance in this. I personally don't see the lack of romance as a bad thing, as it actually helps shape the story to a great extent. The romance really takes a backseat to the plot in this book, but I don't think that this will bleed into the next installments of the series. Tohr's circumstances were unique, and affected the way the romantic aspects of the story were paced and developed.

There were many great parts and characters in this book, Assail and the Band of Bastards chief amongst them, but Tohr and Qhuinn's personal and emotional developments deserve honorable mentions as well. I've never been particularly interested in Lassiter either, but I came to love him over the course of this book and he provided quite a few laughs.

My main issue with this book was No'One. I would call her boring, but that would mean there was something to be bored with, and I am not sure I can say anything about her other than, she exists. I am actually really curious about what other readers think of her, because I really can't think anything of her. Nothing good, nothing bad, not completely forgettable, she just is. On the other hand, I think her blandness (for lack of better words) is part of what makes the story work. But yeah, No'One really is the least interesting female character in the series (I wouldn't even call her a lead character).

So all in all, the book was amazing. This book is focused on a broad and interesting cast of characters, as opposed to a single couple, and the romance takes the backseat to the story and plotlines. I am particularly excited about the futures of Xcor, Throe, Qhuinn, Blay and Layla, and I think Qhuinn's story (when it comes out) will be EPIC, so there is a lot to get excited about!

4.0 out of 5 stars Brave Writing Choice (warning spoilers), 24 April 2012
When I got into this book I wanted to keep in mind something that JR Ward alluded to in the BDB companion book. Tohrment's book was to be the conclusion of the ten part series and it is in many ways. From now on her readers will be forming attachments to new characters - some probably will not be the good guys. Had Ward decided not to expand Qhuinn, Blaylock and the Band of Bastards this would have been a good conclusion to a great series. Lover Reborn is an example of how the BDB series could end to the satisfaction of her long time readers and given what happened during those last few chapters remind us why we read the books in the first place. I am glad she chose to introduce new characters because when you enter a world as interesting as Ward has created you never wants to leave it. From now on it looks like it will be a new world familiar in many aspects but different in all the ways that keep the reader interested.

Thorment is the brother we all wanted to save but I expect that the way he is saved is a source of division with a lot of Ward's readers. I know it was for me. Is it fair that some of the Brothers got their HEA but Tohrment does'nt? Why does Wellsie have to be the one who doesn't get saved? What makes their love somehow less important than V's or Rhage's?

Well that's fiction and it is not always fair. I think I would have been disappointed in Ward if she succumbed and brought Wellsie back (even though I wanted her to). That is a brave writing choice - as brave as killing her was in the first place. I think what Ward has done is expose her readers to a different type of romance one that most people (thankfully) never has to experience: learning to love again after an unspeakable tragedy. This is what Tohrment's book is about - that struggle that we have to go through when we have lost someone we love. Does Ward make a good job of making you feel the struggle? Yes I think she does. Ward did the best she could to write what was an impossible plotline to write to universal satisfaction. Every one of us has their own feelings about what is the best way to love and grieve and I am sure we don't all agree about when it is right to move on. I did want to see Tohr's struggle working out differently from the way Ward has written it but then that would have been very predictable and it would be Ward bringing back a character just for the sake of it or stretching this book through another five instalments. How she went about this probably is not pleasing to the individual reader.

As far as No'One is concerned you either liked her or (like me) you were willing to tolerate her for the sake of Thorment. You can't help but hope she comes into herself in some significant way. Is she the greatest shellan Ward has ever written about? - No she's not but you hope that she and Tohrment can make it work.

Do you wish that each book had more focus on the main couple in question and that the "romance" part of the novels had not been thrown to the wayside in favour of multiple story lines and not-quite- minor characters? A lot of you might say "yes" especially when you re- read the first five or so books. But does this mean that the books have become less? I don't believe they have and I think most of Ward's readers would agree with this. The BDB IS a different series now but it is not in any way less. For me this was an emotional story with another good plot and moving in a new direction introducing new characters. I look forward to the Spring of 2013 and to finding out what happens in this "new" world that JR Ward has created.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not enough focus on the romantic pairing, 31 Mar. 2012
I have really loved this series, but I have noticed that as it progresses, newer books focus more on the story around the main characters and less on the developing relationship between the two romantic leads. this is a great book to learn about all the new threads JR Ward is going to pick up, but there just wasn't enough about Tohr and No'One throughout to really interest me in their characters or romance.
As another reviewer has mentioned, this has the whole 'dead wife' syndrome going on - which could have been got round with a bit more emphasis on Tohr's previous relationship with No'One - and the fact that his marriage was arranged... mind you, that would have tainted what we know about his first marriage to Wellsie.
Yes, I enjoyed it, no I wasn't all that interested in the extraneous stuff about the other 'brotherhood', and while it was nice to catch up on other characters, why oh why did we have to have quite so much about John and Xhex? They've had their book - there was TONS of stuff about them - almost as much as there was about Tohr and No'One.

And don't get me started on the whole name change thing. Talk about lame...

So a bit off course for me. Will I buy the next one? Yes, but if it's another one like this, then I probably won't buy any further books in this series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it! One of her best., 10 April 2012
I have just finished this book. I had trouble putting it down. It was such an emotional rollercoaster and once again, aswell as making me laugh, it made me cry. Although this story is about Tohr's struggle with coming to terms with the death of Wellsie, and moving on, it's also about the rebuilding of Tohr's relationship with John. The impact that Wellsie's death has had on John and Xhex's relationship with John dealing with insecurities about Xhex safety when at work etc. I also liked the development of the relationship between Xhex and her mother No'One. And of course the main relationship focus, between Tohr and No'One, where I actually felt Ward's writing portrayed the emotional rollercoaster that Tohr goes through as spot on. It wouldn't read true if suddenly Tohr's deep set emotions for Wellsie suddenly were pushed aside. Instead it portrays Tohr's inner turmoil and mental struggles, as he tries to tackle the moving on in a strategist way and any emotions 'acted out' instead of an act of sincerity or true love. i.e. What he must do to let go vs. wanting to stay faithful to the memory of Wellsie in the hope that she somehow will come back to him. This all seems at a cost to No'one's emotional wellbeing, but in fact, through this seemingly disastrous relationship No'one becomes stronger in her own right. Coming to terms with what has happened in the past and finding her place in the present. Lassiter the Angel is ever the funny lively character, injecting humour and keeping the direction to the books focus, Tohr, (Wellsie) & No'one, on track. Meanwhile an exciting pace and additional drama comes from the problems the Brotherhood are facing with their enemy the B.o.B. which also weaves into this storyline well. I like to think that ratherthan wiping the B.o.B. (Band of Bast**ds) characters out, future storylines will be set for each of the characters giving Ward more Warriors' to write about. I was both glad and sad to have finished this book. It is truly an excellent addition to this series. I really can't wait until the next book. Quinn & Layla???? Quinn & Blay????? Layla & Xcor?????? OMG I just can't wait!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not my favourite, but still loved it!, 21 Jun. 2012
carly (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
Hmmm, where to start? Lover Reborn was an amazing read and I loved every second! I ended up taking months to read this book, simply because I only aloud myself to read a little bit every night. I needed to try and make the delicious details last as long as I possibly could. J.R. Ward is one of my all time favourite authors and I have come to expect amazing work from her, so I am pleased to report Lover Reborn is up there with all the others. It has all Ward's fabulous one liners that we have come to love, a heartfelt storyline, a roller-coster ride of emotions, tons of kick-ass action, steamy love scenes that make you blush and not forgetting the brothers themselves *swoon*! Admittedly not my favourite in the series (that still goes to Lover Mine) and I had some issues with parts of the ending, but hey you can't please everybody!

As you all know this is Thorment's story, he is a broken shell of a man after the death of his shellan Wellsie. The angel Lassiter has been sent to save him, but really there is only so much you can do for someone, then they have to help themselves. But Lassiter has a plan, he tries to push together Thor and a tortured female from his past. Thor needs to move on in order to free his shellan from the Netherworld and let her pass onto the Fade. But Thor can't let himself even look at another female. He feels guilty all the time when he starts to become aware of the female Lassiter has pushed him towards. Can he put his past behind him and finally move on before it's too late?

Also the war is raging hotter than ever and with the new threat making a move against the king himself, it really is all hands on deck! I am really interested and excited to see where Ward is going to take the story here.

The ending of the book was great but there were two things in there that were too convenient for me, too easy almost. Plus for a book so long I cannot believe I'm saying this but I thought the ending was a little rushed. But all in all a fabulously brilliant instalment, that was definitely worth the wait! A must read for fans of the series. I cannot wait for the next book and I have heard a whisper that it might just be the Quinn & Blay we have been waiting on! YAY!

5.0 out of 5 stars Ward just gets better and better!, 4 April 2012
My thoughts...

Oh, i had been waiting for this novel to be released for so longgggg!
I've loved the books in this series *well, except phury's book-yawn* and having read them all i couldn't wait for the this one- until i heard the romance would be between Tohr and No'One.
I just did not see how this would work at all! No'One's character wasn't appealing and Tohr's love was extremely fierce for shellan, Wellsie. He's devastated about her death. So how would Ward go about creating this new romance without making Tohr's previous one, and the whole Shellan/ Hellren strong connection seem a farce? After all, the appeal to the 'mating system' in BDB is that once a hellren/ Shellan- that is them for life, no other will do etc.

The truth? Ward achieved it in my eyes. I mean completely. It was emotional, understandable and completely convincing of the characters we've come to know in the series. It wasn't simply the case of out with the old in with the new: the plot was written so that it puts Tohr in a position where he has to move on.
Wellsie and his son remain stuck in the in-between, (they can't cross over) as long as Tohr holds on to them. It's angel, Lassiter, who reveals to Tohr the action needed to be taken if they're to be set free. Cue No'One's involvement.
For his ultimate love to move on he has to practically climb into bed with another. Ok, maybe not literally. Well yeah, literally. Harsh.com!
But Tohr refuses to love or even attempt to love anyone other than his shellan. Though he tries, unconvincingly.

It's a personal growth for both characters Tohr and No'One. They're two people with emotional baggage that they need to accept and move on from.
No'one turned out to be a great character! I was surprised just how well Ward turned this around for me. Like a snowball effect, her assumed small personality grew and grew throughout the pages. She really held her own whilst battling Tohr's harshness and her own troubles, yet kept a certain amount of vulnerability. The way her appearance was described was a surprise too, i'd initially pictured her much different.

No'One has some bridges to build with her daughter, Xhex, too and as we see their relationship become stronger, we see Xhex's relationship with Hellren, John, deteriorate. I loved how this was included as a sub-plot. Instead of the usual hearts and flowers scenes between the couples after they're wed, with Xhex and John you see what you would expect of a couple as such. She's badass- she wants to fight. John's the typical over-protective Hellren- he wants her to stay home. Recipe for Xhex to flip him the bird? Yup.

Ward's great storytelling and sub-plotting also includes, what i'll personally call, Qhuinn & Blay's Just get it on! Journey. ;-). It's a relationship we all want to keep reading about and see develop, yet Ward is taking her time! In Lover Reborn Qhay's chemistry is, yet again, on fire the minute they're together. Will Qhuinn say something? Is Blay getting over him? Etc. The final pages give us readers the answer and i've recently found out that Ward is, in fact, releasing a book for them, despite the m/m topic that might not be viewed as appropriate from the publishers. Yay to her listening to her readers! *Claps like a seal*

Whilst all this chaos is going on, yes there's more, the antagonist(s) need to step in somewhere. The lessers. Well, the slayers' role isn't as fundamental to the plots in Lover Reborn. They're too busy being pansies and jumping off bridges. It's the Band of Bastards, that cause the drama in this novel. The Brotherhood's rival clan are trying to de-throne Wrath so Xcor can take his place. There's even bloodshed, but who, if anyone, dies?

Summary & Rating

Just an action-packed, romantic, funny and brilliant addition to the series! I couldn't possibly touch upon everything i liked about the novel, i'd be here all day and no doubt unleash some spoilers. Just know that if you're a fan of the Black Dagger Brotherhood series, you are not going to be disappointed with the authors direction! Ward's storytelling doesn't falter, her characters are as lovable and funny as they've always been (including the new ones) and the world she's created is still as enthralling as it's always been. If not, better! Yeah, it's totally got five shiny twinkle twinkles from me :-)

Recommended to

Paranormal romance fans, readers of Lara Adrian, Christine Feehan, Jeaniene Frost & Co. I would have said for those up-to-date with the series. But i was talking to someone the other day that hadn't read any of the books but was reading this one and was enjoying it, so i'll say, anyone pick up a copy!

© TToria ttoria.blogspot.com

Thanks for reading!
xo

TToria'

3.0 out of 5 stars Unconvinced the Warden made the right choices with this one!, 31 Mar. 2012
After being an avid reader and yes a re reader of the Brothers, I was so looking forward to Tohr's story and I admit, despite what I already knew, part of me was hoping for a literal re-birth of Wellsie or at the very least another relationship of equal feeling. So when I finally ploughed my way through Lover Reborn, I came away feeling unconvinced and more than a little let down.

The relationship we were lucky enough to see between Thor and Wellie seemed a real love match and the warmth between them and the other characters was almost tangible. So I expected something similar if not surpassing between Tohr and No'One, but it wasn't to be. I just could not see them together and even after reading their interactions, I still struggle with the concept. Without giving away anything too important, Tohr treats her with less respect than he does his brothers and at times it seems to me he is simply using her for sex, because he is sick of his hand. To me Tohr has always been the most honorable and kinder of the brothers, willing to help and put others at ease but that Tohr does not seem to make an appearance. He says things that no woman should be able to forgive but instead of arguing, No'One later decides to agree with him.

At a certain point in the story there is an event for No'One which I was sure would be used to cement their relationship, to make it more believable but Tohr's reaction was unexpected and to my mind incredibly selfish. I understand he is grieving, and those scenes are poignant, heartbreaking and well written but all this just serves to prove the point that he and No'One just do not seem to fit for me.

Yes there are love scenes but I use the term "love" loosely, there actually seems to be little to no romance between them.

Despite all this there were some moments I enjoyed, getting to see the Brothers and their Shellans again and the will they, wont they relationship between Blay and Quinn was a highlight for me (though as Quay they were not featured enough). The situation with Layla and her story has me intrigued so I will carry on reading as long as the Warden continues writing but I found myself skimming this book as much as Lover Unleashed.

Not as good as her early stuff but if you're a fan, you have to try it if only to say you have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tense and emotional read, 17 Jun. 2012
Despite the gratuitous violence and coarse language in the Black Dagger books, Ward is such a brilliant writer I can't stop buying this series. Her characterisations and understanding of human (er, should that be vampire?) relationships is moving and intense. Tohr's struggle with his grief, No One's blossoming, John & Xhex's struggle to compromise...all these and more kept me glued to the 592 pages this book contains. This is Book 10 in the series, and that Ward is sustaining the tension and intensity of the characters and plot is a remarkable feat. There were parts in this book where I cried - no, sobbed! - aloud because it was the only way I could deal with the raw emotion of the story.

Because of it's complexity, to review LOVER REBORN in detail without spoilers is nearly impossible. Instead, I'll share my three favourite lines from the book:

"...though her anger was an easy emotion to feel in the face of his unjust accusation, understanding and compassion were the harder, more valuable stances to take..." (Kindle location 2335)

"There came a time in everyone's life when they realized that in spite of how hard they'd been running from themselves, everywhere they went, there they were: Addictions and compulsions were nothing but marching bands of distraction, masking truths that were unpleasant, but ultimately undeniable..." (Kindle location 10847)

"When you were young, you thought time was a burden, something to be discharged as fast as possible so you could be grown-up. But it was such a bait-n-switch--when you were an adult, you came to realize that minutes and hours were the single most precious thing you had..." (Kindle location 11853)

No wonder this book rates a very good 5 stars!

4.0 out of 5 stars Didn't want it to end! A review without spoilers, 21 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Lover Reborn: Number 10 in series (Black Dagger Brotherhood) (Paperback)
While I can understand other people's comments on the BBD books, I would advise anyone considering to read these books to keep an open mind. I had ideas before every book I've read because I read the reviews. After in some ways I disagreed with my original opinion.
These books are addictive, fantastic, original and every book is different, which is good as if they all followed the same style they would become boring. New characters are introduced in most books, which I hope will mean the series will continue for a long time.
Unlike other series I have read they've kept me hooked after 10 books and always leave me wanting more.
Can't wait for the next one, I've recommended them to all my friends, a fab series!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 4 Sept. 2014
It was really heartbreaking when Thor's mate Wellsie died and the way he became a recluse.

It's great to see him again in this book but sad to see him battling with himself about his attraction to Autumn. He is loyal to the order and is proud of John, his adopted son but still devastated by his loss. As the story unfolds, it becomes harder for him to remain faithful to his deceased wife whilst being attracted to Autumn. It is believed that a mate is for life and when you lose your mate, you don't survive either.

The conflicts between the Brotherhood and the Lessers continue along with various dramas, deceit, betrayal and love. This book is as good as the others in this series and I will sure look out for the next one.

Lover Reborn: Number 10 in series (Black Dagger Brotherhood)
Lover Reborn: Number 10 in series (Black Dagger Brotherhood) by J. R. Ward (Paperback - 2 Oct. 2012)