• Prey

Format: PaperbackChange

on 10 September 2011
Linda Howard is (was?) one of my favourite authors but this was just dire. Constant repetition of information to recap the plot thus far, unnecessary viewpoints from the baddie and astonishingly a bear! Gratuitous violence (bear mauling people), minute details about every step taken and decision made by the hero and heroine, a sudden declaration of love after years of hate and no interaction seemed shoe horned in as though the author remembered she used to write romances. It was actually painful trying to read this and seemed more like a sub-standard first novel rather than the umpteenth book from such a talent.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
LH is an autobuy at my local library and I expected to have to reserve this title, but I walked in and there were two copies sitting on the shelf, neither of which had been checked out as yet. There was a reason for this. This book is pretty c***.

By chapter 3, we'd learned about the (lack of anything that interesting in the) history between the leads...and we'd been inside the mind of a bear which we'd been told had already had a taste of human flesh, and who then proceeded to lunge for a lamb, but missed, but then scented another human on the wind...which it then proceeded to crunch on. We got the unfortunate victim's name, his thoughts on whether his girlfriend was The One or not, his background, his education,his girlfriend's thoughts, her name, then he died....WHY???

By page 50, we additionally had the POV of the local estate agent, and Dare had been coerced into tracking Angie and her two guests into the wilderness, based on a bad hunch that the estate agent had about the guys. By page 60, we had been told which of the guests was the baddie, not that the one who was to be the victim was pristine himself, and why he was a baddy and what he was planning.

I went on to read the novel, but I did wonder why I'd bothered. She hasn't written a decent tale since Cover Of Night in 2006. Every hardback release since then bears her name, is sold at an exorbitant price, but is NOT the LH of old. Some of them even have inaccurate synopses of the book on the back cover, almost as if the editor and publisher couldn't really have read the book before publication. ICE's cover has mention of 'a killer' when there is more than one, UP CLOSE AND DANGEROUS's cover mentions an increasing body count, but there isn't even anyone killed!

If you care to look, you will see that her publicity picture hasn't changed in years, nor has her bio. I have wondered whether she has a ghost writer who is fleshing out novellas/plots that she hashed out years ago and never got round to finishing - whatever the reasons for that might be. I miss the old LH, and this is definitely the last one that I will ever read.
on 19 December 2011
I have enjoyed reading LH's books for many years.
Some of which have been superb, most have been excellent.
But what has gone wrong! I struggled to even finish this book. As a previous reviewer said - I am not even sure LH has written or even read this book.
There was so much repetition, so much filler that is was difficult to feel the suspense which the book intends.
This will be the last book I buy. I paid £7.53 for this book via Amazon, it wasn't worth anywhere near this amount, if I read any more of LH it will be from the library.
on 5 September 2012
I wouldn't normally go for an adventure/suspense story (with romance) and I had picked up this book on impulse from the library. I liked the setting and the description of the adventures in the mountains of Montana. It's got the PTQ (page turning quality) and I thought the pacing and structure were good. I liked the way she treated the landscape like a character, giving it a dominant role and I liked the care with the detail of preparations for the mountain trekking and so on. The author certainly chucked every possible rock at the main character, before she got her down from the tree. The interactions between the main characters were good and the development of their relationship was perfectly plausible: people do think like that. I thought the bear element was original and really racked up the danger level. The ending was satisfying, because with such a dominant element of romance, it required a positive outcome. I'm not sure about the title, PREY. The various instances of 'hunter' and 'prey' roles in the book were interesting, and I really liked what she did with the different interpretations of those, but I'm not sure the title reflects the core thread of the story. However, the cover design and the blurb hooked me. I enjoyed reading this book and I shall read more by this author.
on 2 January 2013
I liked this story, as others have explained the plot, I would add that the dialogue between Angie & Dare was funny and sweet. Angie as with a lot of women assummed she could take on her late Father's Wilderness Guide business, instead of understanding that the nature of it had changed. She also had a lack of self confidence in her dealings with men, and this was a theme that was developed as she & Dare coped with the dangers they faced. With strong characters in Angie & Dare, since neither were "shrinking violets" it was good to read about a female who could hold her own and a man who appreciated that fact.
on 21 April 2012
I was expecting good things from this book as the last one I purchased was a disappointment.... sadly so was this. The blurb on the back sounded exciting but I am sorry to say, Linda Howard has lost some of her 'keep the reader entertained' skills. It was all a bit blah and very predictable as well as a rush job of an ending. I will not find it difficult not to buy anymore of her books in the future and I have been a fan for over 15 years!
on 9 March 2013
Typical Linda Howard - strong characters, good plot, a few surprises fand a good romantic strak thrown in. really enjoyed it and some unexpected plot twists.
on 17 October 2014
Not so good as the rest- main characters not very engaging and very repetitive - but hey ho lots of really good books before this one😄
on 13 August 2012
book arrived on time. i enjoyed reading it and will continue to search for her latest book, hopefully on kindle.
on 8 May 2013
Other reviews have provided an outline of the plot, so I won't repeat it again. Suffice to say that I have skipped vast bits of this book (in kindle format i ended up skipping CHAPTERS), because it was so drawn-out. The story did not engage me at all (I had more sympathy for the bear who ate humans - I think he did the entire mountain village a favour really!). The plot was predictable, the female protagonist was uninspiring.

I liked the end, because it was THE END. You won't miss anything if you DONT read this book.