Pleasure Unbound: Number 1 in series (Demonica Novel)
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:£6.39+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 8 August 2008
Excellent book. Everything I want from a paranormal romance. Hot men, strong women, a well crafted plot that had me guessing, great fight scenes, lots of other relationships explored, not just the protagonists and it was funny in places. I've got to have humour in my romance! If you like the Black Dagger Brotherhood and Dark Hunters then this is one for you. I especially loved reading about the relationship between the three demonic brothers, it reminded me of Zsadist and Phury, they don't always get along because of a tormented past but would give they're lives to save each other. Hmmm...male bonding, can't beat it.

Seriously, I dare you not to fall in love with at least one character...vampires, werewolves, demons...don't take just my word for it, check out the reviews on Amazon.com (careful though...some have spoilers..it's so annoying) or have a look on her website to read the excerpts.

I've picked up a lot of paranormal romance books in the last couple of years only to put them down because there isn't anything new, the genre has spawned a few pale imitations and it's an over used formula...usually about a group of supernatural hotties trying to keep humans safe from harm...features an innocent woman with major attitude who has NEVER had any previous sexual experience. Yawn. This book is different. These supernaturals are just trying to stay alive after being wrongly slayed by a group of human vigilantes. Yes..there is leather clothing involved..and tattoos but the main characters are actually doctors or nurses who work in an underworld hospital. They try to patch up the supernatural community when they have been injured by the slayers or other paranormal activity. It's a unique idea and the book has many twists and turns. Also..it's a passionate book, lots of sizzling love scenes and although the plot was wound up in a satisfactory manner there were still some open sub plots that will have you salivating for the next book. I can't wait to read the next one!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 17 April 2012
This book is hard going because it reads like fan fiction. The references to 'buffy's' and star trek are jarring and greatly detract from the book. By all means, call the main character a slayer, or a slayer of demons but not a 'Buffy'. That smacks of laziness, and of someone who is totally inexperienced. It really is jarring.

If Larissa had just described the mind reading scene with originality, instead of saying it was like Spock's mind reading trick (the thing he does with his hand to someone else face), then it would have been a lot better. Again, sloppy writing. And if you shorten werewolf to 'were' then you need let us know that it doesn't mean were, as in 'we were fighting'(for example by using italics or a capital W).

Additionally the fight scenes were rubbish. Blows were exchanged. She took a hit to the ribs. But what actually happened? Was she punched or kicked? And I thought the demons had unsheethed their claws, so a 'blow' seems a bit unlikely, compared to a swipe or a slash. Again, I'm not convinced, neither the fight itself nor the setup for the fight were convincing. Especially compared to the Kate Daniels fight scenes.

The world is interesting, but it has not been thought out. How does a species of demon survive if they never reproduce? A bit of thought can tear this world apart. And the sex scenes, well, the main character had her stomach cut open(by a doctor wanted to see if she was a demon) and so she was covered in stitches etc, and the first thing she does when she wakes up is have sex with the demon doctor in the hospital. Not really impressed with that one, her character doesnt ring true. It reads poorly, the dialogue is clunky and the characters are a wooden.

In a brief summary, it reads like fan fiction. 4/10. 2.5/5. This series has potential, but its hard going from the start. Some readers might be revolted by the sex scenes, some readers will dislike the characters, dialogue and the amateurish quality to the writing.

Larissa has absolutely nothing on Ilona Andrews 'Kate Daniels' series. It almost seems like Larissa tries to imitate her style(And fails). I would strongly recommend the Kate Daniels series.
on 11 May 2010
Pleasure Unbound is the #1st book in Larissa Ione's Demonica series. Ione creates a new world where demons, shifters and vampires live alongside the humans and are out in the open. There is a human group called the Aegis or the Slayers, who are in charge of protecting humankind from the monsters, (Though very early in the novel the axis of good and evil starts to shift..)

Larissa Ione developed a very rich and detailed demon world, with original, previously unknown species, special traditions and customs. The reader may feel a bit lost at the beginning faced with so many unknown terms as the Demonica universe differs significantly from the usual UF or paranormal worlds, but the glossary hellps a lot as well as Ione's explanations. It feels like you ahve thrust in the middle of events and after the whirl of happenings calm down you get a slow introduction to the world and its reasons. It is clear that Larissa Ione put a lot of thought and research into her universe and it shows in the details and layers of the story.

Eidolon (by the way what a great demonic name is that!) is the hero, a succubus demon, a breed whose life revolves around sex. But E is a serious, responsible (and of course drop-dead gorgeous) doctor, he is 3D, has depth and history. He is considerate, the ideal man of many women, who doesn't fall for a generous, kindhearted and sexy as hell doctor?

Tayla is a slayer. She is a great fighter, set in her ways and stubborn! She has a lot of issues, so E not only works on mending her physically but plays psychologist too. These two together not only sizzle but combust!

I'd rather say this novel is more paranormal erotica than romance. It is not for the faint hearted: there is a lot of graphic and hot sex scenes (and I'd bet there will be even more in the next books, as E's brothers are more reckless and adventurous).

Plot: 7/10
Characters: 8/10
Ending: 7/10
Writing: 8/10
Cover: 9/10
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Tayla knows from experience that demons are evil and she has spent her life training to kill them. She is a Guardian (warrior) for The Aegis, a human society who protect the world from demons. When she is injured in a fight and wakes up in a demon hospital she meets Eidolon who is one of the doctors. Meeting Eidolon forces her to start questioning everyhing she has ever learned about demons - who knew they would have a hospital and actually take care of their own let alone help a slayer like her, one of their sworn enemies?

Eidolon is a seminus demon (incubus) and on the verge of reaching maturity - he needs to find a mate soon or he will transform into something terrible. The last thing he wants or needs is to be attracted to Tayla, an ememy of his kind who can't be trusted - he has more important things to deal with. Someone has been slaughtering demons & stealing their body parts for use in black magic. Eidolon is determined to stop them but as they believe The Aegis is involved he is going to need Tayla's help to discover what is happening.

I've heard so many great things about this series & I wasn't disappointed with this first installment. I loved the idea of a demon hospital which is very unique & nothing like anything I've read before. I also enjoyed learning about some of the different kinds of demons & liked the fact that they aren't all portrayed as purely good or evil. I loved Eidolon - he is one hot demon & the chemistry between him & Tayla is great. I also like the relationship between Eidolon and his brothers Shade & Wraith & can't wait to read both of their stories.

Alongside the hot romance & plenty of sex (Eidolon is an incubus after all) there was plenty of action involving a lot of different characters. The plot was fast paced & had a enough twists to keep me guessing and I literally couldn't put the book down. If you're a fan of J.R. Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood or Lara Adrian's Midnight Breed then I'm sure you'll love Pleasure Unbound. I never expected to say this but move over vamps - the demons are taking over!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
What the book says . . . .

Someone has been cutting up demons and removing their body parts, and this doesn't make sense to doctors Eidolon and Shade, the only surgeons in the world who care exclusively for demons. One patient after another has been arriving at the 'demon ER' with missing internal organs, and Eidolon vows to find who has been targeting his race and for what purpose. To make matters worse for Eidolon's demon-kind, he's just gone and treated a female demon-slayer who heats his blood as no other has. Tayla is a sexy, lustful, demon-slaying warrior who works for The Aegis, a council of humans who have vowed to rid the world of demons. Eidolon knows Tayla's deepest secret: that she is actually half demon herself. She is, in fact, the only being Eidolon has ever seen who has half-demon, half-human blood. And she's the only woman who has ever captivated him so. But is this woman, who is trained to eradicate Eidolon's species, the person responsible for the rash of demon mutilations that are turning his hospital upside down?

What I think . . . .

OMG, this is the first book in the Demonica Novels and it was extraordinary. If the other books are anything like this one then they will get pride of place in my library beside my JR Ward books. I loved the relationship the brothers have and I think Tayla's character fantastic. The relationship between Eidolon and Tayla is hot and had my heart pumping in excitement. I can't wait for the next instalment.
on 20 April 2009
This book was recommended by Lara Adrian and I have to say it was a very good read. You get drawn in right from the start. If you are a lover of JR Ward and Sherrilyn Kenyon then you should enjoy this series too. Give it a go it's worth it!
on 9 May 2014
Pleasure Unbound by Larissa Ione

Blurb - In a place where ecstasy can cost you your life . . .

She's a demon-slayer who hungers for sensual pleasure-but fears it will always be denied her. Until Tayla Mancuso lands in a hospital run by demons in disguise, and the head doctor, Eidolon, makes her body burn with unslakable desire. But to prove her ultimate loyalty to her peers, she must betray the surgeon who saved her life.

Two lovers will dare to risk all.

Eidolon cannot resist this fiery, dangerous woman who fills him with both rage and passion. Not only is she his avowed enemy, but she could very well be the hunter who has been preying upon his people. Torn between his need for the truth and his quest to find his perfect mate before a horrific transformation claims him forever, Eidolon will dare the unthinkable-and let Tayla possess him, body and soul . . .

Pleasure Unbound is book #1 in the Demonica Series written by Larissa Ione, I stumbled across this series through the recommendation part of the Goodreads website and figured it sounded good and I would give it a go.

I am a recent convertee to supernatural books, in the past I would have said they are not my cup of tea. How wrong I was!!! They are most definitely my thing and to be honest I’m finding myself drawn to them more and more!!.
Pleasure Unbound did not disappoint its dark and complicated but ultimately a love story and I really enjoyed it.

Ok the good bits....

• The love story, Tayla and Eidolon are drawn to each other against all odds, they are natural enemies but regardless they fall in love and really love conquers all!!

• Shade & Wraith they are not the main focus in this book but I can’t wait for their stories.

• The action!!! There was fighting between demons and guardians, demons and demons, guardians and guardians just so much drama it was fab!!

And the not so good bits...

• It’s an incredibly complicated!!! There are a million different species and trying to remember who is what and what that means is a bit of a nightmare.

• The book requires a glossary and because of that sometimes the terms are not fully explained and I didn’t want to flick to the front of the book to try and remember which council is what etc!!

All that being said this book is the perfect introduction into the series, its tries to explain whose, who and what’s, what and even though it’s a bit complicated I don’t care!! I was sucked in and I read it straight through in one go I couldn’t put it down.

I love a book that asks more questions than it answers and this one definitely does, book one sets up beautifully for there to be another book and I can’t wait to get stuck into Shades story.

Ok so let’s talk about the SEX!!! OMG Eidolon is a demon who is basically a nympho! and once he gets to 100 years old he becomes a complete sexual predator unless he finds a mate and then he becomes the perfect husband..... Seriously I love this, his spunk is an aphrodisiac lol (honestly this is in the book!!). But the best bit Eidolon’s species are essentially made to please woman (ultimately it’s because his nature wants him to get any woman he comes in contact with pregnant... but who cares!!) He gets really upset that he can’t make Tayla come (this is the moment if you didn’t know you can tell its written by a women lol). The sex is hot and passionately written even if sometimes it feels like it skirts a little too close to the lines on nonconcentual, ultimately its steamy and squirm worthy.

I enjoyed the idea of the aegis the demon hunting cult having to have Tayla (once she’s a demon) having to come in to teach them about demons lol this just tickled me.

This book kinda tips the idea of good and evil on its head and if you look below the demon/demon hunter wars, love etc it actually has a moral running through this story, in fact Eidolon actually says that just because Humans are created good doesn’t mean that they can’t become evil and that just because Demons are created evil doesn’t mean they don’t have the capacity to be good. I like that in fact it’s kind of words to live by...

I really enjoyed this book and I’m looking forward to getting stuck into the next book. [...]
on 6 June 2012
I think Pleasure Unbound was my first paranormal romance; I'd always preferred my fantasy to be urban and without all the sex. You may wonder why I picked this up then.... well, I was browsing for books for my kindle and this was recommended so I read the sample chapters and then quickly bought the book. In the space of the next two weeks I bought the rest of the series and I was pretty sad when I finished them. Don't you just love it when you stumble upon a good series and all of the books have been written so you don't have to wait another few years for it to wrap up?!

I couldn't choose between this series and JR Wards series, but I'm glad that I started with Ione. Many reviewers compare both series to each other and I think the comparisons are many and justified, but both authors bring enough differences to separate them. If you've just found Larissa Ione, then I would strongly recommend you take your pleasure reading this series and then move onto JR Ward after when you're feeling all lost and empty without the Demonica series!

So, what's great about this series of books then? (and you MUST read them as a series because you'll get so much enjoyment that way). The men, after all that's what it's all about isn't it? Surely you don't start reading this book because you're interested in finding out about a demon run hospital? Or maybe you do... if so, ignore all the leather, hot men and sex. The men are a rare form of incubus demon and they're doing their best to carve out their lives in their own paranormal world. Eidolon runs a demon hospital (amazing idea!) caring for injured and sick demons and his brothers work there with him. Tayla, who is a demon-slayer is bought to the hospital after she is injured on a job. She's a good strong character and I liked her alot. So often the women in fantasy are interchangable only by their hair colour so I'm glad that Ione made an effort with the women in this series. Eidolon and Tayla fall in love (eventually), have lots of sex and help save the world. I don't mean to sound flippant, but the plot isn't the best part of this book and series. The characters are, and they are really good. They all appear in each book, they interact beautifully and they are funny, strong and pretty hot.

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this series, but that's what good writing does for you. It was engaging, funny, intriguing and yes, it was sexy. There are so many good things about it and you can tell that the author had planned it all out and really had an idea of who her characters were. Buy it, have fun reading it and then read the next one.

Reading order:

Pleasure Unbound
Desire Unchained
Passion Unleashed
Ecstacy Unveiled
Sin Undone
on 16 March 2011
Eidolon is a demon doctor who helps run Underworld General Hospital, but he horrifies his colleagues when a human woman is brought in and he decides to treat her. The woman is Tayla Mancuso and she is a member of the Aegis, a group of human slayers determined to kill all demons. When Tayla wakes up in the hospital and realises her life has been saved by the very creatures she hunts, she becomes torn - does she betray the demons who helped her, or the Aegis family she has created for herself?

This is the first book in the now complete Demonica series (followed by Desire Unchained,Passion Unleashed,Ecstasy Unveiled and Sin Undone), which is one of those series people kept recommending and I kept putting off.

The blurb is pretty cheesy, and makes it sound more like erotica than a paranormal romance. There is a lot of sex in the book, however given that Eidolon is a seminus (basically a sex demon) it is understandable and relevant to the plot line. However, the plot isn't just about sex - there is also a focus on Eidolon's work at the hospital, Tayla's demon hunting friends and a group of psychos hunting demons and selling their organs on the black market. There are different layers to the storyline which gives it a lot of depth. That said, the author puts across a lot of information in the book and while it isn't dumped en masse on the reader it does cause the storyline to drag at times.

I liked the medical focus as it's not something I commonly read in books, and it's brilliant how self-aware and contemporary the book is - especially in terms of referring to the Aegis slayers as 'Buffy's'.

I liked Tayla as a character, especially her habit of calling Eidolon 'Hellboy', and I thought Eidolon was a good match for her in terms of temperament. I'm hoping the other books in the series also manage to cover Shade and Wraith, as well as what happens between Gem and Kynan.

All in all, I enjoyed this and will be picking up a copy of Desire Unchained in the future.

Plot: 8/10
Characters: 9/10
Ending: 10/10
Enjoyment: 8/10
Cover: 9/10

Overall: 44/50
VINE VOICEon 1 August 2010
In two ways, this series is a refreshing addition to the paranormal romance genre. This time we're focusing on demons, not only that, we're focusing on a place where the otherworldly can go to get treated (well, most of them, anyway).

In Pleasure Unbound (Demonica Novel) Eidolon is the doctor demon, founder of Underworld General, using the healing talents that are part of his demonic repertoire. Tayla is unexpectedly brought into the hospital. She's more than an unlikely patient, she's a demon's worst nightmare: part of a group of dedicated slayers who make it their mission to kill off any and every demon they come across.

Eidolon finds himself drawn to the patient who should never have come to his hospital. He's racing against time, as he approaches his final transformation into a seminus demon, a transformation which will force him to leave his beloved hospital and the job he's dedicated himself to. The only thing that will save him is if he finds a true lifemate.

As well as treating patients at his hospital, Eidolon and his brothers are also in a desperate hunt to track down whoever is harvesting demon bodyparts while the unfortunate demons are still alive. The suspicion is that Tayla and her unit are implicated, so she's an enemy on more than one level.

Turns out, on investigation, there's a bit more to Tayla than first appears, and it's a secret that could be deadly for her. As protecting Tayla becomes an obsession and a necessity for Eidolon, we also get to meet some other characters who will play a part in later books: Eidolon's brothers Shade and Wraith, as well as a demon doctor working in a human hospital, Gemella. All in all, this is a great story, with wonderful chemistry between the two lead characters, and a great jumping off point for future stories.