This has been an excellent series from the start, but the author's clearly saved the best til last. I mean, Pestilence was soooo bad that his tale just had to be THE tale of the series, and he had to pay - and boy, did he. In blood, in tears, in heartache.

Published on 19 Nov. 2012 by Roroblu's Mum

3.0 out of 5 stars Rogue rider
Jillian comes across a large naked man in deep Colorado snow, pushes the logs off her sled and rolls him on, taking him back to her cabin. Good care revives him and he says his name is Reseph. His lack of inhibitions is worrying and he also seems to have amnesia. Jillian tries to keep control of the situation, very much alone with this stranger.

A fallen...
Published on 27 Feb. 2013 by Clare O'Beara

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Rogue rider, 27 Feb. 2013
Clare O'Beara - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Rogue Rider: Number 4 in series (Lords of Deliverance) (Paperback)

A fallen angel meanwhile is conversing with a friend from which we learn that the man is one of the Four Horsemen from the Book of Revelations. Angels and demons are his way of life. Prior to this novel, the world it seems was under siege by vicious demons, and nobody knows why they disappeared.
Jillian drives Reseph into town and buys him some clothes, takes him to the sheriff. He wants to stay with her but for all she knows, he could be a serial killer, though a hot one. Later that night, the stranger reappears at her cabin. Jillian welcomes him, because she's just found that some neighbours have been killed, and the demons have returned... but maybe she's trusting the wrong man....
The paranormal side of ROGUE RIDER is surreal, with fallen angels throwing barbecue parties where hellhound pups cavort with kids while angels grill hotdogs. Names like Pestilence, Harvester and Thanatos give it an inaccessible feel but the characters are complex ones with a background in earlier parts of the 'Lords of Deliverance' series. Read as a standalone it is hard to get into the paranormal aspect but Jillian's story grounds us in her reality. She's a fine tough female, shooting a demon without hesitation.

Strong language, explicit sex and gory deaths of people and animals mean this book won't suit everyone. Those who enjoy a horror read will like ROGUE RIDER but I'm just not into horror, and I had not read any of the earlier ones, so I would advise getting the earlier books first.

5.0 out of 5 stars LI saved the best til last. This had it all - love, revelations, pain, despair and many who aren't quite who they've seemed., 19 Nov. 2012
Roroblu's Mum "ROROBLU'S MUM" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

This tale picks up immediately after Reseph's memories have been wiped, and after he's been transported out of Sheoul-gra and hidden by Reaver, whilst the Horsemen, DART and the Aegis search for him. All's been engineered by Reaver to allow Reseph to suppress Pestilence, with the woman who saves him, Jillian, connected to him in the most painful of ways. The world that he's sent back to as Reseph is one that's been decimated by demon-killings, and whilst he senses a link to something not quite right, he has no memories at all of his past as Pestilence.

Jillian's gentle ways, her strength, her selflessness and her belief in him are the making of Reseph, and they begin to fall in love - which is beautiful and vivid, almost coming off the pages, and perhaps the most believable love of the quartet of books - until the remaining Horsemen find him and his memories come flooding back, making him realise just what he's done as Pestilence...

There may be a way of saving him, which requires the ultimate sacrifice on Jillian's part, but Reseph tries to protect her from him by driving her away, revealing the true connection between them, but she knows that the naked, injured man she found lying in the snow is the real man deep down inside Reseph/Pestilence, so she enters into a deal with Harvester, which of course, has a catch...

Obviously, a lot of strings are tied up in this book, and there are several revelations - a character who had seemed to be up to no good turned out to have an ulterior motive, feelings, regrets, loyalty and a benevolent side. A character who's always been around, but in only one particular guise, is revealed to have the deepest connection of all to the Horsemen, and the AEGIS show their true colours. The Horsemen themselves are beginning to be able to truly live their HEA, complete with additions to their families.

This tale tied everything up perfectly, and there was brief mention of UG, Shade and Eidolon, whilst Kynan featured a few times as part of the DART team, leading in to the next book in the Demonica series, coming in 2013, which is that of Reaver (Bound By Night, available on pre-order now?). I kind of think we got to see who his mate will be, but then again, I'm not 100% sure. If it is who I think, then it'll be a tale to rival this one - which is a firm Keeper of a tale.

P.S. - BOUND BY NIGHT: The first installment in a sexy new paranormal romance series by Larissa Ione, author of the bestselling Demonica series! Nicole Martin was only eight years old when she narrowly survived a massacre: her family's vampire slaves rebelled and killed everyone in her household. Twenty years later, Nicole now dedicates herself to finding a vaccine against vampirism...and eradicating the gruesome memories...

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 15 Sept. 2014
What a joy to read this follow on series of the Lords of the Underworld. Reseph who was the only brother who turned rogue as predicted by the prophecy would have to be stopped in order to avoid the Apocalypse.

They managed to destroy him in the last book and he was sent where he had to relive all is evil doings over and over, only help appeared from the least expected party.

Reseph was left out in the cold literally and was saved by a young lady who lived away from it all but Reseph couldn't remember who he was or anything from his part. Will he regain his memory? Will his family find him again? There were so many twists in this book and what transpired towards the end was totally unexpected.

A thrilling and compulsive read, which could be recommended to all who like the paranormal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lords of Deliverance book 4 (Demonica book 9), 13 Jan. 2014
Sarah (Feeling Fictional) (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
When Jillian finds Reseph naked and freezing in the middle of a blizzard she does what anybody would do and rescues him. When he finally regains consciousness she realises he has no memory of who he is or where he came from - he only knows his name. As Jillian helps Reseph try to regain his memory they form a connection and start to fall in love but can their relationship survive when Reseph remembers the things that he did as Pestilence? Can Reseph's family forgive him for the pain he caused them? Most importantly can Reseph forgive himself?

As a huge fan of Larissa Ione and both her Demonica and Lords of Deliverance series I'm really not sure why I put off reading Rogue Rider for such a long time. I think I was a bit nervous that I wouldn't be able to forgive Reseph for the horrific things he did when he was Pestilence and I guess I just didn't want to be disappointed. Thankfully I finally got over my nerves and picked it up because I have to admit it was one of my favourite books in the series. I should have known that Larissa Ione could pull off Reseph's redemption and I promise I'll never doubt her again!

I have to tell you I was surprised at how quickly I grew to like Reseph, I wasn't sure I'd ever forgive him for his previous actions so didn't really expect to fall for him at all. I think that the way Larrisa Ione handled his memory loss made it much easier for us to accept him again. He doesn't remember what happened to him but deep down he suspects that he wasn't a nice guy and has done things he should be ashamed of. He never feels that he is quite worthy of Jillian but that doesn't mean he isn't going to try and win her heart anyway. I'd forgotten how much fun Reseph was at the beginning of the series before his seal broke and he became Pestilence. He was the life and soul of any party and loved to fill his house with music and laughter. Yes, he definitely liked to spend time with beautiful women but more than anything he loved his brothers and sister. The Reseph that we meet now is very different to the one we used to know though, he is much more serious and thoughtful, he genuinely cares about Jillian and wants the best for her even if that means he has to walk away from her so she can have the future she deserves. I actually really enjoyed getting to know the new Reseph, he still has a fun side to him and the way he chases after Jillian was hilarious but he is a lot less shallow than he used to be and his feelings run much deeper too. I would have found it impossible to resist his charms so I'm not surprised Jillian gave in to her attraction even though she was wary of getting hurt again.

Jillian was a brilliant character and perfect for Reseph. She went though a terrible ordeal when she was attacked by demons but she is a survivor. She has cut herself off from the world somewhat but Reseph reminds her what it is like to live and once she starts to come out of her shell again she is a fierce warrior who will protect the people she cares about. I loved the fact that she could and did stand up for herself, she was even willing to face down the other horsemen on Reseph's behalf which took some guts. It is hard for her when Reseph remembers his past and she finds out about all the horrific things he has done but she is able to look past that and see him as the man he is now which is something I don't think many people would be strong enough to do. My heart absolutely broke for Reseph when his memory returned, it was so hard to see him suffering for Pestilence's actions and to see how the family he loved more than anything were pushing him away. I could understand their reluctance to trust him but that didn't make it any less painful to watch. Seeing him claw his way back from utter despair and slowly start to rebuild his relationships was fantastic though. Sure, there is still a long way to go before anyone forgets his past but he's come a long way and I respect him a lot for that.

As much as I loved the romance in Rogue Rider I was also engrossed by the developments in the rest of the world. There are some mind blowing revelations in this book, ones that will have huge consequences as the series continues and that made me incredibly excited to read Reaver. This book just reminded me why Larissa Ione is one of my favourite authors and why this is one of my favourite series. I can't get enough of the Demonica world so I'm just relieved that we have more books to come!

4.0 out of 5 stars "Lords of Deliverance" series book 4, 28 Dec. 2013
Book Addict - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I was interested in seeing how this author would handle Reseph (aka Pestilence) as a hero in this book. He's made quite an impression as a bad guy throughout this series, committing outstanding acts of cruelty and violence toward those he once loved and thoroughly enjoying their screams of agony.

There is an immediate fresh slate, as Reseph has no memories of his life as Pestilence; having had them wiped when it looked like he'd lapsed into insanity when recalling the atrocities he committed. Pestilence rather than Reseph may be held accountable for those actions, but Reseph has a lot of work to do to re-earn the trust of his family. It doesn't help that he has no clue as to who and what he really is, his family think they killed him and the forces of evil have hatched a plan to free Pestilence again.

There is an extended level of calm to the start of this book. Reseph is found naked and unconscious by good Samaritan Jillian. She nurses him back to health and their relationship is meant to be only physical until the pair find themselves falling in love. Yet Reseph is being hunted, and dark demonic forces gather. Jillian has already survived one demonic attack, but can she survive in the supernatural world and accept that she may have fallen in love with a demon responsible for nearly ending the world?

There are again some really clever moments in the plot (although I did expect one particular unveiling) and an abundance of action and passion. Reseph certainly proves himself to be hero material; remarkable considering his history, and I certainly rooted for the last single Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse to find eternal happiness. Although there is closure to the four horsemen's' personal stories, there is plenty still left unanswered. I'm happy to learn that Reaver and Azagoth get their own stories.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love this series, 15 Dec. 2012
Larissa Ione's Lords of Deliverance will be up there at the end of the year as one of my favourite new series. Right from the first book Eternal Rider I've been desperate to read Reseph's book. As head evil bad guy Pestilence the series has pretty much centred around him as his horsemen (and horsewoman) siblings have battled to stop him from spreading disease and plagues across the world whilst trying to ensure their own seals don't break.

Like most fans of the series, I've been curious to find out how on earth Larissa Ione was going to turn Respeh/Pestilence into a romantic hero, but she does it with absolute ease. Basically, when Pestilence was stabbed with Deliverance by Thantos he ended up in shoal but Reaver then wipes his memories and sends him back to earth to be found naked in a snow storm by our heroine Jillian. When Reseph wakes up in Jillian's remote cabin he can only remember his name, to Jillian he's a hot, playful and protective guy with no real memory of where he's come from or how he ended up naked in a snow storm. He does however have an underlying feeling that there is something dark and predatory lurking in his past, for me, the build up to that inevitable moment of revelation was agonisingly good.

Jillian herself has both mental as well a physical scars from the evil demons that plagued earth whilst Pestilence was in full evil flow. You just know deep down that the unmasking of Reseph as Pestilence is going to have a devastating effect on both Jillian and Reseph and their blossoming relationship.

Wiping Reseph's memory and making him normal-ish was an absolutely genius, as a reader it let me, like Jillian, fall in love with Reseph and when the inevitable unmasking did happen seeing Reseph so tortured by what he's done was so intense and utterly heart breaking. I loved it.

There's two things I've really enjoyed about this series firstly, the inventive sex scenes which have been unusual to say the least! and secondly, thankfully there hasn't been an enormous gap between each book's release dates so everything was really fresh in my mind when I devoured the next book. Although the horsemen have all found their HEA Larrisa teases us throughout about the potential between Reaver and Harvester which pretty much guarantees that I'll be counting down to Reaver's book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hot to read between the sheets, 1 Jan. 2013
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
If there's one thing that tends to get on my nerves in Urban Fantasy Romance its characters that either are uniquely powered with no weaknesses or the other end of the spectrum where they're all marshmallow with no backbone. So how do you find a happy medium?

Well for me, that's what Larissa has managed to achieve in this tale, the latest in her Lords of Deliverance series as she brings hot, fan required sex scenes together with action and revelations discovered by the principle players Jillian Cardiff and Reseph who not only bond but make this a hard to put down book. Whilst not everything is solved within this outing with questions left requiring answers, it is a book that really delivers what readers of the series have been demanding with the only real complaint being the long wait for the next title. All in a cracking book and if you want something hot to slip between the sheets with for Christmas then give this book a go.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 9 Mar. 2013
Love love love the whole series yet again another great book. Kept me reading all night could not put it down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Such a shame there's only 4 Horsemen!, 28 Nov. 2012
I've just finished reading this last installment about the 4 Horsemen of the Apocolypse and I can only wish there were more of them!
I've thoroughly enjoyed the series and think the mix of demons/fantasy/love stories and romance(;D) was very good. The characters were 'believable' in as much as you could picture them easily and the scenes the author described - from the Greek beaches to the snowy mountains.
I would recommend these to my friemds and also the Daemonica series by the same writer - there is some overlap of characters.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent! A must read!!!, 19 April 2013
There was not one bit of this novel I did not enjoy. I loved the way Reseph and Pestilence were the same person but portrayed very differently. As for Jillian, perfect match for Reseph.

"Rogue Rider" is the best novel I have read in months and if you haven't read it I highly recommend you do but please remember to read them in order.

Looking forward to Reaver and Harvester's story next. Wonder if it will be classed as Demonica, Horseman or is there an Angel series? Come on Larissa get your fingers typing.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Rogue Rider: Number 4 in series (Lords of Deliverance)
Rogue Rider: Number 4 in series (Lords of Deliverance) by Larissa Ione (Paperback - 20 Nov. 2012)