Night Embrace (The Dark-Hunter World)
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:£7.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 24 July 2003
This is an excellant book. The story continues from Night Pleasures (Kyrian's story). If anything this is an even better story!
Talon, an amazing Dark Hunter with a tortured past (which Dark Hunter hasn't) but he is so very human & hero material that one can't help but sympathise with him & love him, utterly.
When he was mortal, he loved his wife thoroughly. It is a love that transcends even death. Quote 'Nothing kills that sort of love'by Eros (in this book).
His wife, now reborn as Sunshine reunites with him again as only soulmates can. Together they battles Gods and curses & triumphs. The plot has lots of twists and has kept me glued till the last page.
A new character is introduced: Zared, another tortured soul, oops, I mean, soulless. I can't wait for his story now and will pre order it.
We meet Acheron here again. I love it that you get bits and pieces of Acheron's story in every book... tantalising us with his magnetic character & mysterious past. This book is a must-read even if only for Acheron story...
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 4 September 2004
TALON is an ancient Celt born of a forbidden union between a Queen and a Druid. Following his parents death at a young age he returns to face the wrath of his mothers clan, hoping they will take in and care for his younger sister. Though his sister is welcomed life for TALON is difficult. Determined to be accepted he becomes a mighty warrior, leading his clan to many victories. His harshness is only balanced by his wife Nynia, a woman he worships and later loses to childbirth. Tricked by his cousin, TALON goes to battle and kills the son of the Celtic Wargod, CAMULUS. Enraged, the God curses TALON, forbidding him to ever love someone or else they will die. Betrayed by his clan TALON is forced to watch them sacrifice his beloved sister before he himself is executed. As his soul cries out in fury he receives an answer - vengeance can be his if he agrees to enter the Goddess ARTEMIS' service. The bargain is struck and another DH is created.
SUNSHINE comes from a rather eccentric family; her father is a Shaman and her mother Starla is rather weird. She is therefore pretty much ok when she meets TALON and starts dreaming of her past life as a woman named Nynia. What she can't understand is if TALON is the reincarnation of her husband, why does he have the same name and look the same in present times? If he's the same man he'd be hundreds of years old and that would be just plain freaky. Though TALON tries to keep his distance due to his curse their relationship blossoms, yet SUNSHINE has reservations. Does he love her or Nynia's soul?
Though the growing romance between the pair is great, I found the secondary story involving evil Gods and ASH's twin brother STYXX completely enthralling. These individuals are intent on freeing the Atlantean Destroyer from her eternal prison, and only the death of the last living Atlantean can accomplish this - ASH. Add ZAREK, VANE and battling Gods from both the Greek and Celtic Pantheons and we have a highly entertaing read. I love the DARKHUNTER series and feel that these books only get better and better. The plots are becoming more intricate and though SK reveals further details of our favourite characters, she always raises even more interesting questions which keep her readers hooked.
on 5 June 2005
I sorta tripped over this - you know the feeling nothing to read and decided to give this a try.
Read any of these Dark Hunter novels and leave your sane, analytical part of brain in bed, get rid of anything male, settle down and have a really good read. You might start off thinking Buffy or Blade - but don't worry - you'll soon forget all about them - these are very sexy books.
The men are sooooo sexy it make you wanna weep - yes it's full of vampires and demons and things that go bump, it stretches the imagination more than once, but they are well put together, great characters - and lots of them (means lots more books!!) and, for what it's worth, I thoroughly enjoyed the ones I have read.
Well worth a read - just a shame that they are quite difficult to get hold of!
on 10 July 2003
The book tells Talon's story and follows on from Night Pleasures. Talon is a Dark Hunter with a not only a painfull past but a very vengeful Celtic God out to make his immortal life miserable. The usually cool and calm Dark Hunter is thrown for a loop by an artist called Sunshine, who herself is not what she seems.
You find out a lot more about the Dark Hunters, Ash and Zarek especially, and it seems to be a romance novel crossed with an action movie, and really manages to pull it off. The plot is complex and the secondary characters are reallly well written. this book leaves you desperate for a sequel, so Sherrilyn hurry up!
on 28 February 2004
Having loved Fantasy Lover and Night Pleasures, I was very keen to read Kenyon's third book in this series. I came to it with high hopes... but was disappointed.
The Dark-Hunters are the same: they're still great characters and I love Acheron just as much here as in Night Pleasures. Talon... didn't do it for me. Nor did Sunshine, as it happens. She was just too flaky for my liking. What made the book worth finishing were the sub-plots: mainly Acheron, including his relationship with Artemis and Styxx, but also Zarek and Valerian. Now those stories I will read!
But Talon. He's cursed that any woman he falls in love with will die, so he has indulged in one-night stands for fifteen hundred years. And he doesn't even seem to put up a fight with Sunshine? Fifteen hundred years of controlling his feelings, and he goes completely out of control after one night? He tells her that he loves her while still telling himself and everyone else that he doesn't? That just doesn't convince me.
What really made me dislike Talon and Sunshine's story, though, was the reincarnation plot. Sure, I know I'm reading a fantasy/supernatural novel, but I have my threshold, and reincarnation goes way, way beyond it. As soon as I realised that was where Kenyon was going, she lost me in terms of her lead characters.
A further niggle related to her use of ancient language. Talon's a Celt, true. His sister Ceara (should be Ciara?) speaks to him in what is clearly Gaelic - okay, the languages are related, so that's not too much of a problem. But Kenyon gets the fadas (accents) backwards, and the use of the language is stilted. Ceara wouldn't call Talon 'my bráthair'! She'd call him simply 'bráthair' or 'mo bráthair' - it just doesn't make sense to use Gaelic for half of the phrase.
Anyway, one so-so story out of the way; Zarek's is next, and since I found him much more interesting than Talon, that one should be better.
wmr-uk
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Last year I promised myself I would start catching up with some of the series that I've been dying to read for ages now and the Dark-Hunters was one of the ones at the top of that list. As you can see I failed spectacularly in that goal and only read the first 2 books! I really enjoyed both of those books though so it really is about time I made more of an effort to continue the series. It may have been a while since I read about the Dark-Hunters but it didn't take long for Sherrilyn Kenyon to completely suck me back into their world and I think I'm going to go on a bit of a Dark-Hunters reading binge over the next few weeks. One of the things I enjoyed most about reading Night Embrace was the humour in it, I don't remember the earlier books being quite as funny as this one and I'm sure I didn't find myself snorting out loud as I read them. There is a particular scene where Talon is caught without his clothes by Kyrian & Julian that was hilarious, I don't think he's ever going to live down that pink towel!

Anyway, to get on with my actual review I'm just want to say how much I'm coming to love this series. I had a few issues with Night Embrace because I found it quite predictable at times and it does follow a lot of those paranormal romance tropes that we've all seen many times before BUT in spite of that I couldn't stop reading. What makes this series so great is it's characters and once again both Talon and Sunshine stand out in my mind as people who I'd like to spend more time with. It was great to catch up with some of the previous characters but I'm also loving getting to know Acheron better and I was really excited by the introduction of Zarek and Vane. I already know I'm going to adore all three of these characters when I eventually get to their books (and I found out that Zarek is up next which has put a HUGE smile on my face!).

I absolutely LOVED Talon, he is so damn sexy it is unbelievable and I had to smile at the image of this huge leather wearing, motorbike riding warrior walking around with a snoopy pez dispenser in his pocket. He is a fairly typical protective alpha male but I loved the way he was so sweet around Sunshine, he has spent hundreds of years keeping his emotions locked down tight but Sunshine smashes through those barriers within minutes and he'll never be the same again. Talon lost so much before he became a Dark-Hunter that it's almost surprising that he isn't bitter and constantly angry at the world but he is actually quite a fun loving guy who has good friends amongst the Dark-Hunters. He is the one that Ash can always trust to have his head screwed on straight so the way Sunshine sends him off the deep end is quite a shock to the others. He is so protective of Sunshine that he would rather walk away and let her live her life without him than risk bringing his curse down upon her head so I'm glad that Sunshine wasn't about to let him walk away without a fight.

Sunshine is a very unique character, she is quite ditzy and scatterbrained but she doesn't have a mean bone in her body and it was hilarious to hear her thoughts about Talon. She has such an unusual way of looking at things but she she's actually quite a realist deep down. She already has one failed marriage under her belt and the last thing she is looking for is another man who is going to expect her to look after him. Sunshine is very focused on her career as an artist and isn't going to let anyone knock her off that path. That is until Talon worms his way into her heart and then, when she realises how much he means to her she is going to do whatever it takes to keep him in her life.

I loved spending time with these two characters, in a lot of ways they are complete opposites but they fit together really well and make such a cute couple. It helps that they have fantastic chemistry (there is a lot of very HOT sex in this one!) but there is much more to them than that. They build a genuine friendship together and there are a lot of other ties between them. It's hard to say too much without giving spoilers but there is one part of their relationship that normally bugs me when I come across it in paranormal romances but Sherrilyn Kenyon handled it so well that I actually ended up loving the extra connection it gave them. I can't wait to carry on reading this series so I'm going to end this review here to go and get started on Dance with the Devil!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I am officially hooked to the Dark Hunter World!

This is the third book in the series and features the Dark Hunter Talon and Sunshine Runningwolf. Talon is an ancient Celt who lives out in the middle of the swamp surrounded by his favourite 'pet' alligators. After losing his wife Nynia in childbirth and his sister after being tricked by his clan and them murdering her he basically doesn't want to (and can't) let anyone into his heart. That is until he meets the eccentric Sunshine! Sunshine is an artist and meets Talon after he is run over by a float at Mardi Gras, they obviously end up having wild and passionate love *cough cough* and their love story blooms from there. It does turn out that Sunshine actually is Nynia re-incarnated although still also Sunshine (she has Nynia's soul in her re-born) and that she was brought back so that the god Camulus could make Talon suffer even more than he did in the past however the book does have a nice little twist re this at the end.

It took me quite a while to get around to discovering this series as when you look up Sherrilyn Kenyon on Amazon and these books in list order it actually shows Dragonswan as being the first book (but it's not) and Dragonswan is never ever available to buy! As a girl who likes to read all books in a series and most definitely the first one in a series, thinking that I couldn't get the first book did actually stop me starting the series. I have only just discovered that the first book is actually Fantasy Lover, read this and have now proceeded to order the rest of the series:) Sherrilyn has now joined the ranks on Gena Showalter and Kresley Cole on my favourite authors list and I can't wait to read the next one.
on 28 November 2010
While it normally takes me a day or two to finish one of these books, I spent five days slogging through the first half of Night Embrace. I got a little more than halfway through today, and it finally picked up so that I could happily finish it in one sitting. This is something I can normally do with all DH books, start to finish. The first half is an exercise in patience.
I can't pinpoint the exact reason, but I wasn't initially vested in the story at all. It wasn't until later, when an interesting and profound discovery was, well, discovered, that I felt I had to keep reading to see what would happen. I can still honestly say that I wasn't in love with the way the characters were handled. Talon was absolutely expected, standard issue. Sunshine was interesting and quirky at first, but degenerated quickly into your run-of-the-mill heroine. And the "I want her but must let her go" typical mantra was repeated ad nauseam, in between "I can't keep my hands off her", of course. It got so old.
But there are a couple threads in this story that are absolutely essential reading. First, we meet Zarek, an interesting character who doesn't seem DH material, and who becomes the unlikely hero of the next book, Dance With The Devil (and my introduction to the DH world).

More importantly, we learn quiet a bit about the hidden past of everyone's favorite enigma, Acheron. This is also the first time we meet Simi, though not in the form we're more accustomed to. And there's also Sanctuary, which we'll revisit again in later books.

Even though I didn't love it, I expect I'll re-read it again someday and find it a more enjoyable read the second time around.
on 4 July 2014
So, so good, I adore this series so much.
Believe it or not but I have only over the last month or so started reading Sherrilyn Kenyon's books, and I am now totally and utterly addicted to them. She manages to create worlds and characters that real you into their lives and your heart. I have her books ordered through the library while I'm also buying them slowly but surely. Eventually I will have all of her books and then will start reading them again, but this time in order.

Talon is an ancient Celtic warrior, cursed by the Gods, he sold his soul for vengeance against his Clan that betrayed him. Now he wanders the Earth as a Dark-Hunter, unable to allow anyone close to him, his existence is lonely. For if he loves or cares for them they will die.
Sunshine is a struggling artist who loves life. When Talon saves her from an attack from Daimons, then injured she brings him home. As they become closer, the past comes to greet them making Talon want what he can not have, for to have any future with Sunshine will jeopardize her life, and the thought of Sunshine not being alive, is unbearable. But how can Talon save her from the wrath of a God bent on eternal vengeance?
on 29 July 2008
I am a fan of the Dark Hunter series, and enjoyed this book as much as the others. However, as with many Sherrilyn Kenyon books, there is very little historical accuracy. As a history studant this is a real bug bear, especially when it comes to pre-Roman Britain. Where to begin... Talon is suppossed to be from North England somewhere: the location is not specified. If this were so he would NOT worship the Morrigan. She was a goddess isolated to Ireland, and not worshiped in England. Likewise, the Name Morrigantee is there fore invalid. Another thing was the alliance between his tribe and the Gauls. The Gauls were located in France, no way in hell would a tribe in Northern England be that concerned with them, it just makes no sense, as does the idea of Talon running off to go slaughter them in one day.

However, I am aware that not everyone is as interested or as anal about such things as me, and so, it is a good book if you arn't interested in this.