5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely Brotherhood
Lover Revealed by J.R. Ward

This is Book 4 in the Black Dagger Brotherhood series. To get the full impact of the story I highly recommend reading the books in order. Much of the background story is prepared in previous books and to fully enjoy them you just need to know what happened before.

The books are fun and innovative. The dialogue is modern...
Published on 25 Jun 2007 by M. Malone

3.0 out of 5 stars Butch Bites Back
Lover Revealed - J R Ward

Published on 16 July 2009 by Mortallis

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely Brotherhood, 25 Jun 2007
M. Malone (Ireland) - See all my reviews
Lover Revealed by J.R. Ward

The books are fun and innovative. The dialogue is modern and the warriors are to die for. The series is quite violent and edgy but you get very nice romantic elements that will make you smile and cry.

The only thing I found a bit off-putting at first was that the book begins with a glossary. J.R Ward creates a certain amount of vocabulary that the vampires use but you get past that because the characters are great. I thought it was brilliant that the author obviously spend a good bit of time creating this world, the politics, the rules, and how people have to live their lives. I felt really sorry for the Marissa, the heroine of this story. Even though she is from the upper class she really doesn't have any rights and basically has to comply with what her brother wants, as her parents are dead. It is nice to get such a rich world to read about and moan about the injustices.

The Black Dagger Brotherhood are six vampire warriors who protect their race form a evil called The Omega and his disciples, The Lesser. The Omega wants to destroy all vampires and uses any force necessary.

In Lover Revealed the story concentrates on an ally of the Brotherhood. Butch O'Neal, who is an ex-cop and the only human ever, allowed within the Brotherhood without being an actual member. He is madly in love with the vampire Marissa but thinks she is out of his league. When he saves a vampire from the Lesser he get captured by them and tortured badly. Now only Marissa and Vishous(one of the brothers) can save him but it might just be too late.

I loved the book and can't wait to read more. It truly is a great series and the characters and story really grip you. Definitely five out of five stars.

Books in order:

1. Dark Lover

2. Lover Eternal

3. Lover Awakened

4. Lover Revealed

5. Lover Unbound

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Brilliant!, 3 July 2007
I've read Sherilyn Kenyon, Angela Knight, Christine Feehan, Kresley Cole and Lynn Viehl, and NONE of them touch the sides in comparison to J R Ward. Feehan is close but Ward pushes all the right buttons as far as I'm concerned.

I've read all the Brotherhood series and this, without a doubt, is the best one. Only by a very slim margin, because they're all good. I admit the language of the books takes a little getting used to, because of all the street talk, hip-hoppy, urbanness of the books - a woman trying to talk like a streetwise man - but once I got into the characters, I just had to have more. I've read all of them twice at least twice...

We met Butch, our lead character, in Dark Lover, the first of the series, when he first becomes involved with the Brothers and we see his relationship with the female vampire, Marissa, develop throughout. There's lots of miscommunication, things not said, things that should have been said - and all the usual suspects but, I felt for him when he felt Marissa was lost to him. I felt his pain, his frustration, his anger, his passion. Much credit to Ward for evoking these emotions in me. There's also the relationship he has with Vishous, a Brother and his best friend. It's odd but it's so not. You'll have to read it to know what I mean. And I loved the twist ending. I thought I knew what it was, but I was so wrong.

I have to say that the love scenes in this book, as in all the series, are some of the best I've EVER read. Probably THE best! From total tenderness to mad lust, it was amazing. Now THAT'S how to write a love scene! J R, you go, girl!

If you like a down to earthiness about your Vamp novels, then there's nothing left for me to say but to "buy, buy, buy!" Brilliant!

5.0 out of 5 stars This series just gets better!, 12 May 2007
This story of Butch and Marissa(and V)was worthy of the slow buid up in previous books.The love between Butch and Marissa has been tantalisingly mentioned in the three previous stories making the reader desperate to know their fate....and it does not disappoint!This is really a love story between three people as the relationship between Butch and Vishous is also an integral part of Butch's journey to finally find the inner peace that always eluded him in his previous life. The strong bond between the two males is beautifully interwoven into this tale of love and redemption. The development of Marissa's character from shy sheltered timid female to a strong independent woman is superbly crafted to keep pace with the changes in Butch. This book also keeps the reader abreast of other events within the Brotherhood further developing all the characters and ensuring the cohesion of the series is maintained.

Read this book in a day and have already pre-ordered the next one... Vishous my man can't wait to hear your tale you feel me?

4.0 out of 5 stars A great adventure, but a so-so romance., 28 Feb 2007
Tough ex-cop Butch, now a well-liked, well-dressed but virtually useless human pet of vampire warriors the Black Dagger Brotherhood, yearns after gentle vamp aristocrat Marissa. He's convinced his love is hopeless and she can't quite believe anyone would want her after 300 years of rejection by her ex-mate.

It's a good setup, with two well-suited characters who both need to find a purpose and to figure out who they are. But... there's a lot of plot to be worked out in this fourth instalment of the Black Dagger Brotherhood series. The romance suffers in consequence, fragmented between junior vamp John's schooling, the enemy Fore Lesser's plans, the usual bouts of Lesser-bashing, scenes at the nightclub and the whole what's-up-with-Vishous issue. The star-crossed lovers get it on and break it off more times than I could keep track of, for reasons that sometimes eluded me, and the emotional tension of their relationship threatens to wear thin as a result. I really liked Butch in Dark Lover, the first book of the series, but he's become a little too helpless here for my liking. He does have plenty of obstacles to work through before he gets the girl, and all this is well-handled and will keep you glued to the page. Meanwhile Marissa changes perhaps a little too easily from a cringing Barbie doll to an empowered woman with a socially crusading purpose.

The style is gritty and urban as in JR Ward's earlier books, though the prose sometimes droops under the weight of designer labels (I swear Grey Goose vodka is mentioned on every page!), and I had to resort to Urban Dictionary for one or two of the acronyms. All in all, gripping stuff, but still I feel a bit short-changed by the romance.

Next up is Vishous's story - at last, a relatively self-contained romance where (judging by the excerpt at the back of this book) the heroine doesn't feature in a previous book.

5.0 out of 5 stars lover revealed, 3 May 2007
S. Keane (Republic of Ireland) - See all my reviews
lover revealed is the story of butch and marissa who we have met in the three previous books.the relationship grows slowly between butch and marissa with marissa starting to embrace living in the 21st century and becoming independant of her brother.

butch finds he has a place in the brotherhood other than pampered pet when we discover he and vishous were destined to meet.

the love story of butch and marissa is very tender but what pulled at my heart strings was the friendship between butch and vishous.

j.r. ward has once again written a great book that i would recommend thoroughly!

4.0 out of 5 stars I love J.R., 14 April 2007
I love this series of books but didn't enjoy Lover Revealed as much as the others.I was gonna give it 3 stars but I really enjoy the way these books are written so I gave it 4. Lover Awakened is my favourite to date. Butch is a great character but his relationship with Marissa is a bit insipid and doesn't have the same chemistry as the other couples J.R has created. I thought Marissa was a bit of a drip. I prefer more assertive female characters like, Bella from Lover Awakened or Beth from Dark Lover.

There were some definite sexual undertones between Butch and Vishous and I was beginning to think that Vishous might be gay or at the least bisexual. But it turns out it was just a little brotherly love. As with all the others I can't wait for the next book, Lover Unbound. Its time for Vishous to find his mate. Maybe he'll give Marissa something to worry about ! Only kidding. I hope J.R gets around to writing Phury's story soon. That will definitely be one to look forwafd to.

3.0 out of 5 stars Butch Bites Back, 16 July 2009
Lover Revealed - J R Ward

Butch O'Neal was just an ordinary cop until, entirely by chance, he got drawn into the Black Dagger Brotherhood. Yet, whilst partly replacing the family that had treated him as an outcast after his teen-aged sister was murdered and he was the last one to see her alive, he still feels very much on the outside, with no real purpose and very few possessions. Apparently spurned by Marissa, one of the vampire elite and the woman he lusts after, he starts to believe that the best thing to do would be to disappear and start afresh, but all that changes when he defends one of the civilian vampires and is taken prisoner by The Society of Lessers and tortured to the point of death to reveal all he knows about the Brotherhood. Mortally wounded and infected by some dreadful darkness, it seems that he must die, but there are two people who are determined he should live and face a future he could never have imagined was there for him.

Probably my favourite of the BDB books so far, with a good story that reveals more about the fight between the vampires and the Lessers. There's a fair bit of sex, and if you don't like such scenes in books, then the BDB is perhaps not for you, but I don't find it too overpowering and to me it's made up for by the interesting notion of this vampire nation fighting for survival.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Vamp Series Ever!!!!, 20 May 2007
WOW! I have read all of the Black Dagger books and this is by far my favourite. I am totally in love with Butch, the poor guy goes through so much in this book but the outcome is so satisfying. His love for Marissa is absolutely beautiful too.

If you love vamp action, romance and very rounded characters, you must read this series. Ward writes so well that you feel as if you know each character and feel so gutted when a book finishes. If after reading you want more go to J R Ward's website, there's some great scenes of everyday life with the Brothers.

I can't wait for V's story which is out in October when hopefully we'll find out what's happened to Thorment - I don't think it'll be good for the Brothers. Roll on October!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another wonderful instalment in this great series, 19 May 2007
Sarah Carter "SJ" (Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
I was looking for something to fill in the time between Laurell K Hamilton's and Sherilyn Kenyon's efforts and boy I wasn't disappointed when I stumbled upon this wonderful series by J R Ward.

This is the fourth book in the series and I think that they are actually getting better!! I love all the characters that she has going on and yet I still feel that we hear enough about the main love story to feel that it is Butch and Marissa's book. In many romance books the 'extra' characters muddy the waters but here they just add to them and I find myself hoping that strong women will be found for Rehvenge and Tehrror (when he morphs into a seven foot hunk!).

I have already pre ordered Viscious's story as he has been one of my favourites for a while and am already looking forward to October!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another triumph, 5 April 2007
book junkie (northern ireland) - See all my reviews
I just couldn't wait to get my hands on this book. I was in the annoying position of ordering and reading the previous three books one after the other and not having to wait for each book to be published. The wait for Lover Revealed was a long one, but well worth it. After the first glorious installment, I panicked in case the next book wasn't as good as the previous. This time was no exception. I got my book on Friday afternoon when I came home from work and I was finished for Saturday morning. I just couldn't leave it down. Another fantastic piece of work that leaves you wanting more.

The Brotherhood has captured my imagination and I wait patiently for the next installment. Read the book to make your own mind up, I will not give away the plot to ruin it for you. Believe me when I say it's another gripping book. It's just a pity I can't give it more than five stars.

Congratulations to Ms Ward and thanks for sharing the stories of all the awesome characters.

Lover Revealed: Number 4 in series (Black Dagger Brotherhood)
7.91