5.0 out of 5 stars Wild, untamed power barely restrained by love
Published on 10 Jan 2006 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars the ending was sweet and oozed with romance
I thought the ending was sweet and oozed with romance, but halfway through it I was suddenly just...over it. I felt for Vane, and I enjoyed that Bride was a sexy, voluptuous redhead but beyond that the story just sort of fizzled out. There was no explosion or "Oh Darn" moment. It was a steady pace and while there are funny moments (Kyrian and his household of ladies, Ash...
Published on 28 Nov 2010 by Rebecca

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Wild, untamed power barely restrained by love, 10 Jan 2006
I loved this particular story. Continuing with her wonderful series about Dark Hunters and other fantastic beings, Kenyon focuses on the Were Hunters. Vane is every woman's fantasy lover. He is gorgeous, virile and toe-curlingly delicious. However, he is in a difficult position. Although immensely powerful, he is being hunted, is homeless and has an injured brother to look after. Now is a not a good time to be obsessing about the opposite sex., esp. not a human with no knowledge of their world and its inherent dangers.
However, our heroine, Bride, is a lovely lady. She works hard and her best friend in one of the Deveraux sisters. Her heart has just been broken by her heartless long-term boyfriend and Vane walks into her life.
Both are attracted instantly each other and have a touching, intimate encounter. Shortly afterwards, they realise they are mated. Being mated in the were world means that the male is impotent around all other females and his only chance to have offspring lies with her. He has three weeks to get her to accept him as her mate or he remains impotent for the rest of her lifetime. Meanwhile, the female is free to be intimate with anyone she pleases. Hence, Vane is faced with wooing Bride, hiding his differences, and then sharing his dark, dangerous world with her.
Our old friends, Acheron, Nick Gautier and other dark hunters adn their wives make their appearances giving us a chance to catch up with them and for the bigger story about the fate of the dark, magical world to unfold. We also see more of Sanctuary, the famous bar full of gorgeous were-people that is a safe haven for all. We learn more about the were powers and how dangerous both the Katagaria and Arcadians are.
Vane is wonderful as he ponders the dilemma of human dating, asks for advice, goes through the rigors of meeting the parents, etc. Bride is brave and loving as she meets her first demon, faces Vane's dangerous enemies and learns more about her powerful suitor.
I loved the sensitivity, tenderness, passion and emotional growth of the two characters as they find their way to each other. Definitely a keeper and one of my favourite Kenyon stories.

5.0 out of 5 stars Night Play, 13 Jan 2006
Lesley Coyle (Shanklin, Isle of Wight United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
When I found the dark hunter books written by Sherrilyn Kenyon I knew that I had hit the jackpot. Night Play is an offshoot of those books. The main charactor is a werewolf who is magic. Both literally and personally. His personalty builds up as the book progresses and the story moves along at a steady pace. His luck at finding a mate, his love for her, is a beautiful story to read. But his need for her well being, and his self doubt of his worthyness make you wish that our male partners could care as much for us. The sizzeling love scenes are hot, graphic,and filled with just that, love.
I have found that all charactors in Sherrilyn Kenyon books are alive and give a great sense of depth. If you like not just romance and hot sex but a story with real people with real problems then this is a book for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST YET!!!, 13 Aug 2004
By A Customer
WOW WOW WOW!! I honestly think this is the best of the series so far, and that means a lot considering how I loved Dance with the devil!!
Vane is just so SWEET!! Every woman should have a Vane in her life!! I loved the way he loved Bride, I loved the entire book!!
The secondary characters are unbelievably funny, but the humour in no way detracts from the book's impact, it adds to it. I found myself alternately sighing dreamily and giggling at some of the comments the secondary characters made.
Story: Bride's boyfriend just broke up with her because he's "going places" and she's bad for his "image" (she's no super model). So she's crying in her shop while vacuuming when Vane Kattalakis, were-hunter extraordinaire, passes by. He once saw her months ago and couldn't get her out of his mind because he thinks she's the most beautiful woman he ever saw. He goes in and tries to make her feel better.
I read this scene alone about a dozen times and you will too! I won't spoil it but let me tell you it's one of the sweetest things I ever read!
Some time later both discover markings on their hands, which Vane recognizes as the sign they're mated. Meaning she's the only one for him and if she doesn't accept him as he is he'll be destined to remain alone. He now has 3 weeks to convince Bride, but is reluctant to tell her that he's part wolf because he is being hunted, and as his mate she will too.
I won't divulge anything more, you'll have to read the book to know what happened!!
It's best to read the series in order to fully appreciate the reappearance of some important secondary characters (Acheron and Simi!!!), so for those who want to know the correct order of things go to the FABULOUS website:
[...]

4.0 out of 5 stars Wow! What a Roller Coaster of a Read!, 16 Mar 2007
Night Play was my introduction to the Dark Hunter series. I loved it! The way the main characters interact. The way our beautifully masculine 'hero' Vane seems so vulnerable and confused about his feelings for Bride. And the sex! Whoa! Left me breathless. The feelings and emotions leading up to, and after, each scene - namely, a man (well, wolf in this case) taking pleasure in pleasing his lady - are extremely well written. Definitely my kind of read.

We also get introduced to some of the other characters we know will be in other DH novels, which makes us want to read more and connect the dots. And Acheron, the first of the Dark Hunters, features in all of them. Great marketing strategy. It must work as I've read most of them.

What endears me to this particular book is the fact that our heroine, Bride is a 'normal' woman. She's a size 18 (14/16 UK?)and curvy. She has a total lack of confidence in her appearance, especially as Taylor, her ex-boyfriend is so condescending of her. So she doesn't understand why this beautifully 'masculine man' (she thinks that a lot) finds her not only attractive, but beautiful. He doesn't understand her self deprecation as he adores her just as she is. He re-introduces her to her femininity in a really loving way. And I love the way he 'deals' with her ex...

Yes, I know it's a little bit cheesy, and there's a lot of our hero saying: "I'd rather cut my arm off/die than see you hurt" stuff, but the DH series are pure, unadulterated fantasy after all, and the ecapism is great, so Dammit! Why shouldn't the good guy fall in love with a good girl, make hot love to the good girl, vanquish the bad guys, make love to the good girl some more and dance the Macarena with a demon and a load of other Were-animals in a club? Bring it on!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Keep them coming!!!, 7 Sep 2004
By A Customer
What a great book, I purchased Night Pleasures based on some of the reviews I read on Amazon and was not disappointed. The DH series are great with twists and turns and at times funny and sad but what a great ride for the reader!
Vane's story is funny, sad and touching at the same time and introduces a whole host of new characters.
Like other reviewers I can't wait for Tabitha and Valerius's story - what a twisted mind you have Ms Kenyon - Keep them coming!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Mad, bad and a Were-Hunter, 25 Jun 2005
By A Customer
Part of the Dark-Hunter series and my favourite so far.

This book got me all hot under the collar! Meet Vane Kattalakis, a Were-Hunter who is a Wolf, he is absolutely gorgeous! His heroine is Bride, a shop owner with a few extra curves and a deadbeat ex-boyfriend who burnt her badly. Vane swoops in and finds himself unable to resist her charms.

Finding out that he's got a human mate whilst his brother is in a coma and staying at Santuary completely stuns him. Shocked and unsure what he's going to do about it as Bride doesn't know about his Wolf half, he has to protect his brother and himself from those who want to finish off what they started in Night Embrace. The first full Were-Hunter novel, it completely blows your socks off in a world that no-one is what they seem. Trust me, it is one fantastic introduction to the things that turn animal and go bump in the night (or day!). Dark-Hunters included, and Simi! Who knew that Wolves could sing?

The supporting characters as always brilliant and funny. The secrets that keep coming at you are surprising and intriguing. Ordinary versus the extraordinary in this tale.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 2 Aug 2004
This latest instalment of the Dark Hunter series has to be one of my favourites and considering the outstanding quality of the others this is very high praise. The series so far has put a new spin on vampires and this one puts a whole new spin on werewolves mixed with Greek mythology. If mythology had been this hot at school I would have paid more attention. Vane and Bride are wonderful lead characters and I am desperate to find out more about Valerius and Fury.
I only have one complaint, Sherri doesn't put these out quick enough and I have to wait for the next one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Deliciously Dangerous, 17 July 2014
This review is from: Night Play (Dark-Hunter World) (Paperback)
Review Courtesy of April Hollingworth

The Dark Hunter series is one of beauty and danger. Where passions run high and the fight to survive and love, is the ultimate goal. Night Play is the 6th book in this wonderful series but is also the 1st book in the Were-Hunter series. A must read. Sherrilyn Kenyon brings you into her world, a place you can't help but care for those who reside in it.

Opening Scene:

Gennisi

Come with me, modern traveler, back to a time that has been shrouded by mystery.

The Review:

Sentenced to death by a father who hates him,Vane survives against all odds. Upon a chance meeting of Bride, he can't help but feel vulnerable for the first time. When he realises that this beautiful woman is his destined mate, Vane realises he will do anything to keep her safe, even if it means losing her for ever.
Bride is furious, her now ex-boyfriend of five years has dumped her by fed-ex, to rub salt into the wound he charged it to her account. Upon meeting the gorgeous Vane, she can't understand what he sees in her. After all if her ex couldn't love her because she was fat how can this adonis of a man love her?
But danger is stalking the streets of New Orleans. With time running out Vane needs to convince Bride to trust him to keep her safe, but with his enemies out to kill him this is no easy task. And how can how can he expect a human to ever love a wolf?

Notable Scene:

He deftly fastened the necklace. His fingers lingered at her neck for a minute before he met her gaze in the mirror and stepped back.
"Beautiful," he murmured huskily, only he wasn't looking at the necklace. He was staring into the reflection of her eyes. "I'll take it."

5.0 out of 5 stars the best!, 30 Aug 2004
By A Customer
i have read all of Sherrilyn Kenyon's books and they are all excellent, but this one is the best so far. she always manages to exceed herself! her previous books were all great too but this one, i have to say is the best so far! Vane is a great hero, he's the best so far. Bride is also a great heroin. she feels insecure about her body but Vane makes her feel beautiful and loved. the WHOLE book was excellent. there wasn't a single part of the book that wasn't amazing. Vanes powers are by far the best too - well not as good as Ash's but he shows us a lot more of his powers then Ash. i cant wait for Sherrilyn Kenyon to bring out a book for Ash. but thats a long time coming. boo hoo.
Great book Sherrilyn Kenyon, thanks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very romantic, 5 Jun 2013
This review is from: Night Play (Dark-Hunter World) (Paperback)
I chose this rating because it showed the fact that Vane who has had many women and has lived for over 400 years was behaving like a teenager when dealing with Bride. It just goes to show that Vane with all his swagger and experience can be scared and clueless on how to behave when you fall in love with someone which is a comfort to all

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Night Play (Dark-Hunter World)
Night Play (Dark-Hunter World) by Sherrilyn Kenyon (Paperback - 3 Nov 2011)
5.89