5.0 out of 5 stars BRILLIANT, SUPERB, SPELL BINDING
I am always on the look out for a good new author and when amazon recommended this book I decided to try it. And I am so glad I did! (Little tip - buy the second book at the same time)

Published on 24 April 2006 by B. Dickinson

2.0 out of 5 stars A Bit Mills & Boon For Me...
I bought this after seeing it recommended on a review site, but in all honesty was a little bit disappointed by it..I was hoping to discover a new series of books that I could really get into and enjoy, but it seemed a bit thin on plot and full of raunchy action to try to compensate for this!

I really didn't find myself connecting to or caring about the...
Published on 13 July 2011 by Ms J. Redican

5.0 out of 5 stars BRILLIANT, SUPERB, SPELL BINDING, 24 April 2006
B. Dickinson "crystalbee" (Wales, UK) - See all my reviews

These books are written exceedingly well, the plots are exciting, breathtaking and nervewracking (don't make any plans to do anything else until you have finished the book!!!), the characters well drawn, with many flaws but likeable, both guys and gals, mortals and otherwise and the baddies are mean but not too smart.

This first book in the series gives the reader a good background on who the brotherhood is, what and whom they fight, whom they love, starting with Wrath, their reluctant leader. The descriptions of the characters are so vivid, they jump of the page and one immediately feels a bond with them.

I am often astonished at the versatility of the Vampire novel writer and Ward has a great imagination. I read this book in one sitting (albeit until 3 am in the morning) and can't wait to get my hands on the next installment. I feel the urgent need to find out what happens next and for an author that must be the highest compliment.

I won't get into the story line, check it out for yourself and let me know if you think I have exaggerated. These books are keepers and you will read them again and again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cant believe i waited so long to read this., 11 July 2013
I'm almost embarrassed to admit that I have only just read this. I have had the Black Dagger Brotherhood series sitting on my kindle for over a year and until now I haven't so much as looked at them. Being completely honest here, I think the reason I haven't picked them up yet was because I was scared. Every where I look people are talking about BDB, they are recommending it, not once have I seen anyone say anything negative about this series as a whole (until I started reading other reviews after finishing it) and I wasn't sure it would live up to the hype. Dark Lover was chosen as one of the reads for our book club on Goodreads and I decided it was now or never.... well I'm really glad I chose that first option.

I was supposed to be reading something else, but I fired up my kindle and figured I'd have a quick look at this. Before I knew it I was on chapter 11 and there was no way on this planet anyone was making me put the kindle down until the story was finished. Now that it is I am itching to read the next in the series. I don't know if I could cope with the book hangover I can already feel this series will leave me with.

I have read lots of vampires stories before now and I continue to be blown away by how unique each author has made them and J.R Ward is no different. Ward's vampires are unique, even amongst themselves. And while this book is clearly about Wrath and Beth, each member of the Brotherhood has become flesh and bone in front of the reader rather than a 2 dimensional side character which will have life breathed into it at a later date.

Wrath's character development is so cliché that I can't help but love it. At the beginning he is this cold unfeeling badass who keeps everyone at arm's length, even the other members of The Brotherhood. He falls fast and hard for Beth but tries to convince himself that he is only helping her as a favour to her father Darius (who is the only one of The Brotherhood with a normal name?). He knows that he's being an ass, wanting to protect her but not wanting any other guy near her (which kudos to him, because most Alpha male types in books refuse to acknowledge when they are being a jackass). I loved being able to see his inner turmoil, seeing his head and his heart warring with each other and then seeing his heart win out. Which lets face it we ALL knew right from the very beginning was going to happen. The Wrath we leave at the end of the book is still very much a badass, but now he is a badass with a leelan, no longer keeping everyone at arm's length, finally accepting who he is and what he needs to do. No longer the reluctant King.

Yes this book features heavily on the romance (and the sex), but there is so much more to come from this series. And I can't wait.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ab Fab, 12 Feb 2006
By A Customer
I came across this book by mistake whilst searching amazon for new books. And i have to say, it was the best mistake i have ever made.
Not only does this book tell the story of Beth who is a half breed and Wrath who is King of the Vampires, it also incorporates other characters that seduce the reader into the addictive depths of the world created by J R Ward.
Amazingly this is J R's first book, and it delivers on every level.
Brilliantly written it is hard not to read this book at break neck speed, the pace is fast yet steady and every page is begging to be turned.
I lost sleep because i could not put the book down for wanting to know what happened next.
Beth is a half breed who doesn't know she is about to turn into a vampire and Wrath is a gorgeous, warrior, King vampire who must help her through the transition.
The attraction is instant and steamy and their story is aided by the adhering characters surrounding them.
Thankfully there is another installment of the black dagger brotherhood (i have already ordered my copy from Amazon) and i know there is going to be more as i have become so enthralled with this book i joined the fan club.
I would recmmend this book to anyone who likes a well written, fast paced, page turner. If i could give it a higher star rating, i would.

2.0 out of 5 stars A Bit Mills & Boon For Me..., 13 July 2011
Ms J. Redican (UK) - See all my reviews

I really didn't find myself connecting to or caring about the characters at all, and the story that there was was minimal and very predictable. I found the characters a bit too "far-fetched" for me to identify with them at all really; it felt a bit like jumping into the fourth or fifth in a series of books rather than the first, as so much information about the characters was thrown in but not really in any detail, so I often found myself thinking that I needed more back-history of the characters in order to develop any kind of relationship with them.

This is a steamy read, and may suit some people as a "throwaway" beach read or something like that, but I tend to prefer more detailed plots and depth to characters, so this isn't an author I would actively seek out to read again.

5.0 out of 5 stars The first in an excellent series of kick-ass vampires, 6 Jan 2007
Helen Hancox "Auntie Helen" (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Dark Lover is the first of J R Ward's "Black Dagger Brotherhood" series (followed by "Lover Eternal", "Lover Awakened" and "Lover Revealed" - the last of these will be released in March 07). It's good, but not necessary, to read these books in the right order as it gives you more of a framework for the world that J R Ward has created.

Her "Black Dagger Brotherhood" are a subspecies of vampire that are warriors - they are larger and stronger than your average vampire and spend their time fighting against the vampire slayers (known as "lessers") who are de-souled human beings. The vampires and lessers slug it out on a regular basis but try to avoid all contact with humans - it's like a parallel mini-culture running in Caldwell, New York, where the books are set.

Dark Lover introduces us to the Black Dagger Brotherhood characters. The book focuses on Wrath who is almost blind and is the king of the vampires although he doesn't actually seem to be doing anything with his position - he's just another warrior like the rest of the brothers. The other brothers are Rhage, Vishous, Phury, Tohrment and Zsadist. Yes, terribly cheesy names which really irritated me to start with although I've now got used to them.

Anyway, in Dark Lover, Darius (another member of the Brotherhood who gets killed just a few pages into the book) asks Wrath to take care of his daughter who is approaching her "transition". In J R Ward's vampire world, vampires start off rather weedy and then when they hit about 25 years old they have their transition which requires them to drink the blood of a member of the opposite sex as their bodies change into full vampire mode. Darius's daughter, being half human, is in danger of not surviving her transition; Darius asks Wrath to provide the blood for it as he is the last purebred vampire on the earth so his blood is the best. He refuses but when Darius is killed he realises he has to do this for the sake of the memory of his friend.

And so we meet Beth who's working as a journalist covering the crime beat - she has a semi-friend in homicide Detective Butch O'Neal (who actually pops up in the other Black Dagger Brotherhood books and is a great character). When she initially meets Wrath she is terrified by him - a leather-clad, colossally tall man who is armed to the teeth. But they seem to get along rather well fairly quickly and she finds herself on the run from the police with him, when they think Wrath is responsible. Will she survive her transition and will Wrath face up to his responsibilities within the vampire community?

These books aren't for the fainthearted who don't like reading about swearing, sex and violence. But they're not just saucy romps, there is quite a lot of characterisation as well as an understanding of human nature and an emphasis on honour and shared brotherly commitment. Although excellent in itself, the next two books are even better as J R Ward got into her stride writing them, but this is a very worthy beginning to the series and I recommend it to the not-faint-hearted.

5.0 out of 5 stars Black Dagger Brotherhood book 1, 7 May 2010
Sarah (Feeling Fictional) (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Wrath is the last purebred vampire and the reluctant king of his people, as the leader of the Black Dagger Brotherhood he fights alongside his brothers against the lessers (vampire slayers who are determined to wipe out the vampire race). When Darius, one of his brothers, asks Wrath to help his daughter through her transition (something that all vampires must go through when they are 25 to become an adult) he is reluctant to accept. The transition is a dangerous time that not all vampires survive and with Wrath as the last purebred vampire his blood would offer Beth the highest chance of survival. It is only when Darius is killed that Wrath decides to help Beth as a way of honoring his brother.

Beth is a half-breed who has grown up in the human world and has no knowledge of her father or the vampire race. When Wrath first approaches her she doesn't know what to think - she finds it hard to believe him when he talks of vampires and the brotherhood. She is unable to fight the attraction between them though and is soon drawn into his world.

I first discovered the Black Dagger Brotherhood series last year and quickly fell in love with the group of warrior brothers. I'm currently re-reading the series before I read the newest release Lover Mine and I enjoyed Wrath & Beth's story as much as I did the first time. I love the fact that Beth is is a strong heroine who is willing to fight for what she wants and won't put up with being treated badly. Wrath is a strong and fearless warrior who is reluctant to lead his people as he doesn't feel like a worthy king. I liked the fact that when he falls for Beth he doesn't care who knows it - he may be an alpha male but Beth is able to wrap him around her little finger. The romance between them is very passionate but it is also quite sweet in places.

I loved the introduction we get to the other brothers and the fact that they are so close and will do anything to protect each other. There is a lot of camaraderie between them and some of their conversations had me laughing out loud. J.R. Ward has built a very realistic world with a complete mythology that is easy to follow and leaves you wanting more. I like the fact that you are told the story from several different perspectives although I have to say I don't enjoy the scenes narrated by the lessers as much and would prefer it if we saw a little less of them. Overall I think this is a great start to the series and I'm looking forward to continuing my journey with the brotherhood. If you like paranormal romance and have yet to try this series then I'd definitely recommend you give it a try.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best thing since sliced bread... heck it's better than chocolate!, 12 Oct 2010
I admit it; at first I was skeptical. I love anoything on the dark fantasy/paranormal romance ilk, so this series has always intrigued me. Given its great reviews I thought what the hell and bought Dark Lover.

May the Scribe Virgin take me and make me her little puppet. No, scratch that, may Wrath take me and make me his little puppet.

Totally convinced it would be cheesey and cringe-worthy, I was wrong, so very very wrong. This series is the sex! I mean seriously, this is not the kind of thing you want to read on the bus, or round your nan's. It has complete seat-wetting potential.

The sexy bits aside, it's also a fantastic rip roaring read! The storyline is intelligent and is foreward thinking, planting little tiny clues and tid bits that become obvious later.

Characters are so well concieved that I could quite easily imagine Wrath or one of his Borthers coming through my front door... chances are slim, but a girl can hope, true?

Without giving too much away, the first in this series follows the story of Wrath and his love interest, Beth. Of course, love is never easy and then there's the lessening society, bent on killing the civillian vamps. The Brotherhood are not only stunning male examples, but they are also totally badass with a whole array of weapons.

What more can I say? I love it. With a fiery passion. Readers will NOT be disappointed. If you are, however, come see me, I'll change your view, 'cause this series is more than a gem, it's like finding the lost city of Atlantis and all its treasures!

Buy it. Read it. Fall in love. ^^

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional, with a strong plot and fascinating characters, 2 July 2007
This is by far one of the best 'supernatural romance (a desciption I dislike)' books I have read in a long time. JR Ward has succeeded in turning good and evil on its head in a most creative and successful way. Here we are shown a dangerous and violent 'Brotherhood' fighting to protect the innocent, in this case vampires, against the evil and corrupted human 'lessers'.

Unlike many other series in the genre Dark Lover does not need the graphic sex scenes to keep it's audience entralled, instead it uses a superb story and real gripping tension to keep you turning the pages. When the author does allow her characters to seccumb to the urge she cleverly lets the anticipation build until you know precisely how they feel allowing your imagination to expand on her descriptions. A technique that is extremely effective.

All in all I cannot recommend this book enough especially to those of you who enjoy Kelley Armstrongs 'Women of the Otherworld' or Charlaine Armstrongs 'Sookie Stackhouse' series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 15 Jan 2009
I bought this book after reading the reviews on Amazon, and I have to say it did not disappoint!
This story follows Wrath the king of vampires, who feels that it his duty to look after a friends daughter when he is killed, but instead falls in love with her.
The story is a romance novel, but the storyline is great also, which makes this book better than the average romance book.
I have to say that the worst thing about this book is the cringe-worthy names (sorry!), and to make matters worse, of the six brothers their names are wrath, tohrment, phury, zsadist, rhage, and ....darius. Just seems odd that he didn't get an odd name too!
If you can see past the awful names though, this is a really great read, I will definately be reading the others in the series, and I would recommend this to anyone who likes paranormal romance.

3.0 out of 5 stars vampires, fantasy, 22 Aug 2010
I liked it, I didn't love it.
Things I liked.

1. The world which these novels inhabit. You can tell a lot of thought and energy went into the world building here.

2. The actual Brotherhood and the easy banter of the Brothers. They felt like comrades, brother-in-arms.

3. Beth. For once I liked the female character more than the male protanginist. She was smart, capable and although she fell madly in love with no reason at all (apart from all the fabulous orgasms!) not stupid.

4. That the Vampires were modern. I'm not a big fan of the vampire myth, I've never been fascinated with them. I like that that have chosen to live in the present instead of wallowing in the past. They speak in a modern way (except when in ceremony) they listen to modern music and wear modern clothes (although the biker leathers and tight muscle shirts are a tad stereotypical and not my thing baby!) I'm so glad they aren't all wearing white shirts with lace at the throat and trying to de-flower virgins. It's sooo Bram Stoker! :)

5. Butch. I love Butch. Nuff said.

6. The butler. He was sweet and funny

What I didn't like.

1. First and foremost, the names. Man this author needs to do something about naming her characters. They are just AWFUL. Wrath, Rhage, Tohrment, Phury, Zsadist Vishous...I mean COME ON! It took me out of the narrative every time a name appeared. Awful, awful names.

2. Wrath. He did absolutely nothing for me. Biker leathers and long hair. Nope. So the romance part was a bust. For me. I was much more intruiged by Marissa & Butch.

3. The baddie never felt like a threat at all. Not once. And he had a crap name. Again.

4. The sex was beyond weak. But maybe that was because I wasn't into Wrath.

But for all it's sins, it was an entrertaining read which I enjoyed and it was enough to keep me going onto the second book, but more to see how the plot unfolds and hoping to bump into other characters again.

Dark Lover: Number 1 in series (Black Dagger Brotherhood)
Dark Lover: Number 1 in series (Black Dagger Brotherhood) by J. R. Ward (Paperback - 3 Feb 2011)
8.18