5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic
Published on 8 Sep 2012 by Tester

3.0 out of 5 stars I can't believe I'm only giving Nora 3 stars
I love reading Nora Roberts' stories, I really do. I pre-order new titles and count down the weeks until they drop through my letter box, and I am seldom disappointed by the characters or story-line, but with The Witness I am left feeling rather let-down.
Published on 14 April 2012 by D. Brock

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 8 Sep 2012
This review is from: The Witness (Paperback)
It all starts with Elizabeth in June 2000. She is 16, a genius, caught in a strict life and wants to have some fun, but then tragedy strikes. 12 years later Elizabeth is no longer and Abigail has taken her place. She lives secluded and always in fear that the bad guys will find her again. Then Brooks enters her life. Brooks is a cop and he's like a charming bulldozer. He is interested in finding more about Abigail, who she is, what makes her happy and what she fears. Together they can't change the past, but they might be able to change the future.

Right from the start on I loved reading about Elizabeth/Abigail. Her life was fascinating and there were several times in the book when I just wanted to hug her. She is such a strong heroine, a heroine who learns the hard way that one careless night can be deadly. I loved how she managed to build a good life for herself. And I loved that she was always looking for a way to get justice.

At times Abigail reminded me a bit of Temperence Brennan. Both know a lot of little facts about life but not a lot about how to interact with others. Brooks is the person who brings Abigail out of her shell. I loved how he brought fun and lightness into her life and that throughout the book they became a perfect team. Together they bring out the best in each other and I loved their little banters.

"The Witness" made me smile a lot, it made me laugh out loud and it entertained me. From beginning to end I was enthralled by Elizabeth's life, by the hard times she went through and by the new life she built for herself. She is a heroine I adore and I think I will reread her and Brooks' story many times.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it., 22 Jun 2012
StarPlayer (B'ham England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Witness (Paperback)
Daughter of a controlling mother, Elizabeth finally let loose one night, drinking at a nightclub and allowing a strange man's seductive Russian accent lure her to a house on Lake Shore Drive. The events that followed changed her life forever.

I don't normally enjoy books by NR writing as NR. I really enjoy her JD Robb books. So when I picked this up from the library I wasn't expecting much but, wow!!! I enjoyed this and my only niggle is that I wanted it to be longer! I wanted more from the epilogue. But, still, a great story and I'm gonna check out her other books released in the last 2 years (I couldn't get into her fire jumping one though).

10 Spt 2012
I read it again!!! A very rare occurance for me.

I really enjoyed this and didn't want the story to end. I wanted to 'see' them getting married and 'meet' their children lol.

5.0 out of 5 stars loved it nora roberts ticks all the boxes, 21 April 2012
This review is from: The Witness (Paperback)
I am a huge Nora Roberts fan and her books are a must buy for me and I have read and re-read some over again, this was one of those books it is a simple story but grabs you in all the right places its got the romance but also a fab story had me smiling, choked up and savouring every moment, the main character reminds me of bones ( anyone whos seen it) a very clever woman who speaks her mind no matter what and has no way of understanding simple sayings or communicating well with people, after witnessing a murder Liz goes on the run and becomes Abigal, she meets Brook the police cheif and they begin a relationship and Abigal starts to have a life that even before the murder she never had, the characters are lovely and the town the book is set in is great, would love to see some of the characters get a book too really liked this recommended to all

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure and utter brilliance!, 15 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Witness (Kindle Edition)
Such a fantastic read. Sucks you in completely and messes with your emotions. Brilliant and captivating story that you will not want to put down. A MUST read. Excellent!

3.0 out of 5 stars I can't believe I'm only giving Nora 3 stars, 14 April 2012
D. Brock "deb4" (sussex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Witness (Paperback)
Without going into too much detail (don't want to spoil the plot for other readers, who may absolutely love it), I feel that the main female character, Abigail, is one-dimensional and I didn't really warm to her at all. The 'hero' Brookes lives in a nice town, has a nice family and works in a nice police department - and any Nora Roberts fan will have encountered all of these in one guise or another in many of her other books - but that doesn't reallt matter as we hardly spend any time with them. Instead a whole lot of time is spent in Abigail's fortress in the forest.
For me, the main problem though, is in the pace and plot. Most of the drama and action happens in the first fifth of the book and after that it is pretty one-paced until the ending, where it tries to become exciting again. The ending itself though is rushed and I found myself reading the final page and thinking "Is that it?"

3.0 out of 5 stars Did the editor do it?, 15 Jun 2013
This review is from: The Witness (Kindle Edition)
Abigail Lowery is a reclusive young woman who has set up home in the quite, peaceful, small town of Bickford. She avoids social contact, and very much keeps herself to herself. Brooks Gleason, the chief of police, develops an interest in her. It starts as half-way professional, and quickly becomes an obsession.

Abigail's problem is that she is hiding a secret past, and is fearful of being discovered. She has extensive home security, and more guns than the police department. She doesn't want any relationship or involvement.

The book opens with Abigail's secret, so we know what it is and can follow her concerns and her gradual move towards trusting Brooks.

This is a strange, unevenly paced book. First, the opening is violent, explosive, well written and sharp. After that, the story goes slow, slow, slow, and slower until the ending. And then it feels like it's a rushed job because the author lost interest. Or was a chunk edited out?

Let's stand back and see what we have here. The lead character is very interesting; sort of a different take on a Mallory type of a female action hero. And there are some funny and touching moments thrown up by her character and her interaction with the world. Brooks is a romantic character caught in the wrong genre, but he'll do. The rest are fill ins.

The plot is straightforward, with little in the way of twist or surprise. The ending is flat, flat, flat. It was a real downer after the early promise.

Roberts is a best selling author who is famous, successful, and lauded as being a talented writer. On the basis of this book, some of these plaudits are overdone. In short, interesting but flawed. The interesting bits are very interesting. Unfortunately, the flawed bits are bloody awful. (I'd love to have a chat with the editor. Was there an editor?)

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 30 Sep 2013
JB (Huntingdon, CAMBS United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Witness (Kindle Edition)
Nora Roberts never fails to disappoint. Fantastic book. Had me gripped from the beginning with twists I didn't see coming.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 9 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Witness (Kindle Edition)
Could not put this book down. A real page turner, so exciting can't wait to read another one of Nora Roberts books

4.0 out of 5 stars A truly great read!, 18 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Witness (Kindle Edition)
It has pace, suspense, romance and is hard to put down once you start reading it.

It' is not a heavyweight thriller but I don't think it is meant to be.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great novel from Nora Roberts, 21 Sep 2012
This review is from: The Witness (Paperback)
The style of this book isn't that different from some of her other stand alone books, but thats not a problem, as its a good style. The book is essentially split up into three seperate large chapters, following Abagails early life when she was 16, the life she is currently living and then the way her life has changed and how she has to connect her past with her current life to create a future.
It was a cleverly planned book, full of interest with a heavy emphasis on Computers and the Russian Mafia, but you are never overwhelemed by technical details. The main characters of Brooks and Abagail worked very well together, and whilst the character of Abagail was a little 'odd' in terms of her speech and the way she was alone and therefore how she treated others characters, she was never specfically targeted as being strange and it was brillantly written in terms of how she gradually became part of Brooks life, and therefore more a person capable of living in the world rathering than existing.
The only two small criticisms i have, which i notice other people have mentioned is that there is a certain sense of rushing the last chapter, as all the events are very quickly tied up at the end - felt a bit cheated out of more story! Also whilst the two main characters are in a small town, there isn't that much interaction with a lot of the other characters. It is largely focused on Abagail and Brooks.

The Witness
The Witness by Nora Roberts (Paperback - 23 May 2013)