Lover Mine: Number 8 in series (Black Dagger Brotherhood)
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:£8.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 30 April 2010
if your new to this series-Dont start here-they are Much better read in order-and you will get significantly more out of the reading.
This starts exactly where the previous book left off (do yourself a favour & read that immediately before reading this)
Xhex has been captured by Lash-and John Matthew is out to get his woman-come what may....
I wont go into detail too much-as this is a book of Oh My God moments-it fills in a lot of back story (Tor, Darius, Noone, Payne,etc) but this does not distract from the central love story of two lonely people who find strength to not only look to the future-but accept & live with the past-in all its messy glory.
JR Ward-keeps up the pace-and this is a real roller coaster of a ride (more like Butch & Z stories in speed)but once again the characterisation is superb- she manages to create a world that is believable and characters that not only are fully rounded, occasionally flawed individuals-but perhaps more importantly-you will care about each & every one of them.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 2 June 2011
After the slight disappointments of V and Phury's stories, I was thrilled to find that I was gripped by this book from the very beginning just like when I read Rhage and Zsadist's.
John, Blay, and Qhuinn have been some of my favourite characters thus far and they did not disappoint me here. I loved John's anguish and love for Xhex and the fact that he has grown into such a formidable warrior is fantastic. I think Ward really captured this same strength with the internal strength that she gave John in the first place. I was also happy to see that John reaches out to the brothers for help and they do.
The interaction between Qhuinn and Blay is delicously rife with sexual tension and definitely one of the strongest aspects of the novel. Saxton's arrival really confirmed Qhuinn's position in the relationship dynamic between him and Blay for me.
I think Xhex is one of my favourite heroines. She is strong when she has to be, vulnerable when she can be, and deadly when she wants to be.
I thought Lash made for an appropriate and excellent villain.
One thing I did think was lacking was John's recognising the tension between Qhuinn and Blay. I wanted him to at the very least see more of the changing relationship between the two and how this is affecting him too.
But I loved this novel so much and am so proud of Ward for bringing the series back to its former glory.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This series continues with the hunt for Xhex, and heading the pack of vampire warriors on their search is John Matthews. John is desperate to retrieve Xhex from the hands of his enemy Lash, yet as the weeks pass the chances of ever seeing her alive again diminish.

Xhex's captivity is brutal and I can't image any previous BDB leading lady not only surviving it, but fighting for her freedom until the end (well maybe Payne...). Lash is definitely on top of Xhex's hit list, but John and several other members of the BDB want their own chance at him as well.

"Lover Mine" is a rollercoaster of a book filled with action, tension, passion and some truly heart breaking moments. Included is a further update on Payne, plus a blast into the past as Xhex's history is revealed. Lash has his own problems with The Omega, whilst the BDB warriors dive head first into any confrontations. There are deeply moving parts to this book, particularly surrounding Xhex's captivity and her resulting emotional state, yet she's paired with her ideal partner; after all if anyone can understand what she has endured it is John. There is more than one romance brewing in this book as Blay tries to ignore his feelings for his vampire buddy Quinn plus plenty of bloody battles, hospital visits, and some steamy sex scenes.

Xhex is one ridiculously tough female character, and whilst she may not be a typical leading lady she more than earns her own HEA with John. The quiet John quickly loses any self restraint in his quest to find and keep from harm the woman he loves, yet Xhex is not one to sit idly by waiting for her handsome prince to rescue her. Just as everything seems to settle towards the final few chapters, JRW pulls her usual tricks and introduces some wow! moments, leaving any BDB fan desperate for the next book. I'm keeping my fingers crossed book 9 will be Payne's story, but which big bad vampire could match her?
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 1 June 2010
I love the BDB series. I haven't reviewed any others because I love them all, with the possible exception of Lover Enshrined & thought it would take too long to do so. I am reviewing this book because it has just come out.

I too like other reviewers have felt the newer installments of the BDB are slightly lacking. I was confused with Lover Enshrined when Phury was thrown out of BDB when in all other books BDB have always dealt with problems internally & in the earlier books you are kept more up to date with the other member BDB. That is what should have been in this book more, more interaction with the other members. Make the books a complete series, make them all interactive, like the older ones are.

The story of JM & Xhex is interesting & I think its about time they had their story, because we have been waiting for so long. However tough Xhex is, it was completely awful & shocking that she bounced back so quickly from her ordeal. If you think JM is still suffering from his which happened many years ago & Xhex is just completely fine 2 days after her horrific & much worse ordeal. It makes no sense, is lessening this awful crime & is contradicting itself.

I like the character of JM which sustains you through the book & therefore enjoyed it & this is why I have given it 3 stars.

The problems with it
1) Xhex recovering so quickly
2) the awful stuff with the kids & Murder, which I didn't even read, just skipped the chapters with it in
3) the awful old world language which was cringeworthy
4) Other members of BDB not involved in book & would be more interesting if they were
5) The lash storyline, its getting boring & has dragged on too long
6) No One is the most cringeworthy, worst name of any character I have come across. I know the names are pretty out there & are supposed to mean something, but this name is particularly awful & it made me cringe.

Good points

1) I enjoy JM storyline & was glad to see Tohr back
2) Quinn & Blay is very interesting - I am hoping the next book will be about them - does anyone know?
3) I enjoy JR Wards style of writing & I am attached to the characters
4) Not too much about the lessers besides lash which is good as it sometimes gets repetitive & boring.
5) I like Xhex, just wish she had more time to recover from her horrific ordeal.

Overall I enjoyed this book, but not as much as the older ones. I am still looking forward to the next installment. Fingers crossed for no more Murder/journalist stuff & more interaction with the whole of BDB.
on 24 May 2010
I was pretty disappointed with this book - and I was a big fan of the series so far.
But I am either getting annoyed more quickly with all the "macho tough guy talk" or it really got out of control in this book. There's sometimes not *one* sentence without it for pages..and it's pretty hard to read when your eyes are rolling because of that.
Don't even let me get started on the story...the possibility of someone who has been physically and mentally abused, daily rape included, for close to four weeks to get hot and heavy with a guy a day after she fought her way to freedom?
Yes, I know Xhex is a tough one but that is really "out there".
Plus, her character evolving from ice cold killer to someone open and caring *that* fast? Sympath or not, that was a bit hard to roll with.
The whole book felt very rushed, too many story lines that didn't always tie in so well. This made for a pretty disruptive reading experience, almost as if the author could have used a bit more time to finish this book.
The last few chapters were the best and it felt like J.R. Ward was back in her top writing form then.
I am really hoping that the next book will be better; still, it is a real shame since both Xhex and John are among my favourite characters of the series.
on 28 November 2010
'Lover Mine' is the story of John Matthew, one of my favourite characters in the series. John Matthew is mute and because of this he has always been isolated from the world, also having been abandoned in a bus station toilet when he was born and then raised in an orphanage. John Matthew knew he was different, not just because of his muteness but because of something else, dreams he had of a previous life, etc. His life changes when he meets Mary, Rhage's wife (John Matthew and Mary both first appear in the second book of the series, 'Lover Eternal' along with Bella, Zadist's wife, who recognises John as pre~transition vampire). At first sceptical and scared, John Matthew is introduced to the world of the Brotherhood by Tohrment, who accepts John Matthew into his home and along with Tohr's wife, Wellsie become parents to John, something he has always craved and they help him to confront his past. John Matthew's life is changed again following a huge loss which affects all of the Brotherhood, which leaves John Matthew alone again, and now transitioned into a full vampire.

In 'Lover Mine', John Matthew has suffered lost and is still dealing with his past, added to all of this is his feelings for Xhex, assassin and private bodyguard to Rehvenge, Xhex and John Matthew's relationship is somewhat strained due to the fact that they do not trust anyone and find it difficult to show their feelings but there is a definite spark between them which becomes more apparent in 'Lover Mine' following events in the previous book, 'Lover Avenged'.

'Lover Mine' was an excellent insight in John Matthew and Xhex and their pasts, issues that had bee highlighted in the previous books are developed more and you feel bad for both John Matthew and Xhex because they have had such a hard time but they are both survivors and its shown brilliantly how they come to cope with their issues and their relationship.

The next book in the series is not released until next year and I cannot wait to find out what happens next in the Black Dagger Brotherhood universe.
on 8 June 2010
As a huge fan of all romance stories especially paranormal I have to say that J.R. Wards BDB is amongst my top two favs. My No.1 is Kresley Cole.
However. Lover mine won't be taking a place on my permanant books shelf.
My fav being Lover Eternal probably sways me towards the romantic side rather than the paranormal. I totally love the big tough guy getting the soft femenine heroine. I know, I know. Yawn. But the first four books were very romantic. That's probably why I didn't like Unbound, what was Jane's attraction?
As a total hetro woman. I'm very much into the man/woman thing. I've enjoyed Jessica Birds writings for Mills and Boon. Unfortunately I think that Ward/Bird is tending to drift away from the sort of hetro romances in the first few books (I enjoyed L Avenged) and heading towards some pretty hard core, s and m, gay stories. Sorry I'm not interested. If future books follow this path I shall not be buying. Quinn just happening to swing both ways is such a turn off. Also there's beginning to be an awful lot of man rape happening throughout the story. Yuk! I accepted it with szadists story but now find it's rearing it's ugly head too much for my tastes. I can't beleive that Xhex would recover so quickly after the son of the devil had done that to her.
Having read all the books I think I may leave this one as the last in my collection. It may yet make it to the local charity shop as I have no desire to read it again unlike I did with the first four books. (Over and over again!)
I must also say that I enjoyed the stories with Wrath and Beth. What happened to JM and Beth's relationship? They never became close at all! Brother and sister? Father and daughter? I think JM should have had a longer time as a single man. How come JM fell in love more or less straight away when others had waited hundreds of years to find their love. Him dreaming of soft curvy, sexy women and the ending up with Xhex! Come on. She's alomost a guy!
I would love more about Rhage and Mary. Wrath and beth. Payne too, although she too is kind of masculine.
More about Szadist and Bella. Phury and Cormia. Butch and Marissa.
What can I say.I loved the first four. I love the smart talk. I loved the sex. I love most of the main characters. Please get rid of Blay and Quinn!
on 3 July 2013
Honestly, this book I find hard to sum up in one word. It was neither good or bad, I can't slate it but I can't embrace it like the others.

1- was long winded, I put it down quite a lot. Too many stories going on at once, although they came together quite nicely in the end.

2-I was never a fan of John Matthew to begin with I found him tedious and annoying. I felt that way the majority of the time through this book. Having said that towards the end he finally turns into a man, I feel like he has grown up and isn't so bloody teen like.

3-I love xhex, always have. Still love Payne, can't wait to find out more about her.

4-lash, the lessers, the omega....just annoy me so much I really hate their parts. Normally I would just briefly read their parts but because there is SO MUCH in this book I found I had to read them or I would miss half the book.

5- what I found out in the book struck me as difficult to comprehend as to why Ward would put it in, I have always found the "bonding" thing to be sacred, unbreakable, when
It happens you look at no one else the same. So I can't fathom why Vichious said "v had it in for her. He was jel that she had a piece of what he'd always wanted. He couldn't stop resenting her"
(About Butch at Xhex) that annoyed me, I felt like it be littled the bonding thing.

I'm once again taking a break from the series like I did after reading Phurys story. I know if the next book is anything like this I will take forever to read it.
I did like some parts, the ending was brilliant how everything came together...that I cannot fault.
on 28 February 2013
Currently working my way through the BDB novels and have read them all in order (up until 8) with the exception of Enshrined which I skipped quite simply because having looked at the reviews I didn't fancy it, I may read at the end.

For those that are considering the Black Dagger Brotherhood series I would seriously recommend reading in order. Certainly, whatever you choose to do book 1 must be read first as it is the introduction to the whole series and without reading this first there are parts of the following books that may not make too much sense.

However Lover Mine - another excellent read by J R Ward, this tells the story of John Matthew and Xhex and has some excellent action, love and intimacy within. Now, I started to read this whilst my children were on their Spring Break from school and I don't know if it was because the children were off school and I was pre-occupied, if the book was longer than the others or if the third quarter seemed to be "padding" but this took me a lot longer to read than the others, which I would normally polish off in 2 - 3 days, or even quicker. The third quarter of this book seemed to drag and I have too say it is the first novel in this series that I DID want to put down, to polish a window instead! Anyway, that said I kept on going and it really picks up again towards the end and as in others in this series I finished with a tear in my eye.

Already downloaded the next Lover Unleashed Book 9 and will be happy to report on this when I have done.
on 28 June 2012
I only started reading The Black Dagger Brotherhood a couple of months ago and fell in love with the brothers straight away !!
Lover Mine finally focuses on John Matthew and Xhex. At the end of Lover Avenged we were left with Xhex being kidnapped by Lash and John being a bit of an ass-hat !! Lover Mine starts straight after the gang rescued Rehvenge and Xhex was taken. The chemistry has been building up between John and Xhex for the last couple of books and we know he is in love with her and although separately they know their own feelings they have not confirmed them to each other. With his love taken John is on the hunt for Lash and living in hope that Xhex is still alive. Meanwhile Xhex is in a living hell being held captive by Lash. I loved the connection that these two characters had, because it has been simmering over the last couple of books it seemed really real and natural to me, and the love scenes were HOT!! The other brothers were not left out either and all made an appearance and Lash is making one hell of an adversary!! John also reconnected with Tohr and we were finally given the confirmation that John Matthew is in fact the reincarnation of Darius. We are taken back in flash back scenes to how the two brother Tohr and Darius meet which in a twist involves Xhex !!
I loved the build up in the book for Quinn and Blay and will be very excited to see their story n book 11 !!
I thoroughly loved reading this book and for me its back to the great form that was the first four books !!
The only complaint I would have is that the last couple of chapters were a little rushed and I didn't enjoy the sences with the film crew at the B&B but neither of those things spoiled my enjoyment of the book :o)