5.0 out of 5 stars A Return to Form
Rehvenge has always seemed irredeemably bad, the brotherhood's drug dealer of choice and a decidedly seedy character. There have been hints throughout the series that he's not what he seems - his care for Bella, his sister, for instance; but a man of worth? I had never thought so.

Published on 30 April 2009 by rhian_eve

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
As with Lover Enshrined I was disappointed with this book. I feel cheated by the author and I will explain why...the first five books focused mainly on the hero and his heroine, the majority of the book was about them.

Published on 5 Sep 2009 by K. Ross

5.0 out of 5 stars A Return to Form, 30 April 2009
rhian_eve (Swansea, Wales) - See all my reviews

J.R. Ward brilliantly liberates him from the shackles of evil here, painting him as a multifaceted character who would do anything to save the ones he loves - even if it means selling himself to the underworld. I was enthralled by his character. Granted, he's not a brother and neither is he warrior but he has the qualities that Zsadist charmed us with, that Rhage encapsulated - the best bits of the brothers drawn into one character and then twisted into their own unique being.

Half symphath half vampire Rehvenge fits into neither world completely. Symphaths are dangerous creatures, persecuted against and colonised by the vampires; because of this it is necessary for Rehv to hide his true nature and he exists in a web of lies. The web continues to spin when he meets Ehlena, a nurse who treats him for the side effects elicited from not allowing his symphath side to control him. His illness mirrors the symptoms of Parkinson's and he passes it off as such to most. Rightly or wrongly I found Rehv's limitations endearing; he needed a cane to walk and I suddenly found canes unapologetically sexy. There were scenes throughout the novel in which I felt heartbreakingly attached to him.

If Rehvenge is flawed darkness then Ehlena is pure light. She is a character who sees the good in everyone and everything and at her core wants to heal those who suffer. Disconnected from her race, having been born into vampire aristocracy and finding herself on hard times, she both understands and is understood by Rehv. The relationship she shares with her schizophrenic father is lovely and perhaps, in the end, is the reason she is able to accept every aspect of Rehv. Their courtship is delightful, strangely innocent and surprisingly so. Most endearingly it is almost `normal'.

As with previous novels in the series other characters are given plenty of page space. All of the brothers make an appearance at some point or another and it's good to see them back. I particularly enjoyed a subplot that involved Wrath and the developments in his and Beth's relationship. John and Tohrment appear throughout and I began to warm to John's character especially. For the first time I began to have faith in the new age of the brotherhood.

I thoroughly enjoyed seeing Ward back to her best after the disappointment of Lover Enshrined. Lover Avenged is more in keeping with the earlier novels as it gives equal time to romance and urban fantasy. While not without its flaws, it is sometimes hard to reconcile the drug dealer with the romantic hero, it would be churlish not to award Lover Avenged five stars. Those who have been following the Black Dagger Brotherhood will breathe a huge sigh of relief at finding them back on form and fighting fit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 26 April 2009
I am not an over generous reviewer so to get 5 stars from me takes some doing. I am a great fan of the BDB books even the last one that got a lot of stick from other long time fans.
This is Rhevs book and I had wondered how I would take to him as the hero given that he is a murdering, drug dealing pimp, but JR Ward did a grand job of making him believable, sympathetic and vulnerable.
The first 100 pages was quite slow, with a lot of Wrath in it, but once the relationship with Ehlena comes into play, I got so engrossed I read until 1am. There is a lot of chemistry between them and she holds her own against a very alpha male. There is not much sex in the book, but enough.
Thorment starts to make his comeback and Wraths story continues. Also John figures, with Xhex being quite prominent in this story.
I did find the ending a little rushed and not as satisfying as I would like. There is a cliffhanging ending but about another character, not the leads.
There has been much debate about whether the BDB books are now urban fantasy instead of paranormal romance - are they? Admittedly there is not much of the explicit stuff but sufficient, and the characterisation is what drives these books. JR Ward is a quality writer and I look forward to her next book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better, 30 April 2009
Amazon Customer (Cardiff, South Glamorgan.) - See all my reviews
Like the majority of readers the last book in the series was a disappointing transition to the new style and I can honestly say I was not looking forward to this book.

The previous books were read in one sitting (apart from Phurys) but Rev's book took me 3 days - not because I didn't enjoy it but because there was a lot to take in and I wanted to slowly absorb the differences between the earlier books and this new direction. This book is a clear demarcation between them and the blending of both styles was, for me, a success. The writing is tight, the hip hop style still working. The world that JRW has built is even clearer than before - loving it.

I won't spoil the story for you but suffice to say that Rev's journey is one you don't want to end, his interaction with Ehlena, Bella, his mother and even the brothers are brilliant.

One complaint, some of the abbreviations made no sense to me, it's either a UK thing or I'm denser than some but it doesn't detract from the scenes as you do get the context.
It was good to see the brothers back together although the interaction with their shellans was minimal to non existent apart from Beth. Mary has a part but there were no descriptions of her just her words so she wasn't totally fleshed out. In this new world that JRW is building, perhaps more interaction with the shellans - how are their lives post-mating? After all, they are such an integral part of their male why shouldn't they be included as after all they are also part of this fight.

I have given this 4 stars as there is still someway to go and although I did enjoy this book I'm not entirely sure if it's ready for hardback but I will buy the next in the series as apart from the odd complaint, I hope that it continues on this new and exciting direction.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book, but..., 13 July 2009
Lana "LH" (Norwich, England) - See all my reviews
It's a mixed feelings review. On one hand, fab book, on par with her best ones, up there with Rhage and V. On the other - am I the only one who felt cheated out of the story I expected so much more from? Rehv is a fantastic anti-hero, never black and white, but all shades of amethyst multi-facet. And yet his symphath side is never truly explained - was he manipulating emotions from infancy - if yes, how come none recognised it? If not, when did he develop it - after his transition? - then how? Nor his relationship with the colony explored in detail it deserved. His extended family only noted in passing as "those he recognised" - from where/when before?
I also felt like he didn't have enough time to develop as a character - reading the book, it was more Wrath's story than Rehv's. It is the style of JR Ward's we've come to know and love - and expect - mixing the plots, developing the sides, but come on, there is central character, and there are others. Who shouldn't be taking more space in the story than the one it's supposed to be all about, really...

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 5 Sep 2009
K. Ross "kliross" (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews

Then book 6 - Lover Enshrined you are lucky if 50 pages of 550 (approx) page book was dedicated to the main characters same thing happened with Lover Avenged.

The title of the book is misleading and completely wrong... it should have been called book 7 of the Black Dagger Brotherhood, not very interesting but then neither was the book. The love story between Revhenge and Ehlena was predictable, boring and not believable considering not much time was spent telling you why they love each other.

The writer has changed her writing style which is annoying, if she wanted to do that then she should have finished this book series and started something new.

Another thing that is annoying is the abbreviations used - don't get me wrong if abbreviations are used for speech then fine it's understandable as this is slang, but when the writer uses for the reader only then that's just lazy writing. JR Ward does this a lot in her books. Sometimes you need internet access to explain when the heck she is talking about. One example is DL which I believe meant "down low"!

I'm not sure I am going to bother with the next BDB book, maybe when Tohr or Pains, the Scribe Virgin's daughter and V twin? sister books are published I might pick it up again.

If the next story is going to be about John (who I started to not like as he was acting like a spoiled little boy)and Xhex (who I did like) I'm not going to bother as their story is not going to be interesting as we read most of it in Lover Avenged in fact I think Lover Avenged told more about them than Rehv and Elhena! 3 Stars because I did like Rehv and Elhena!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutly amazing, 15 Jun 2009
Okay J R Ward has done it again. This book is amazing. It's the 7th in the Black Dagger Brotherhood series and this time we follow Rehevenge on a journey that will take twist after breath taking turn. I read this in 2 days and that was only because I had to go to work in between. LOl
There are also some surprises instory for the King of the race... but It's an amazing read that will keep you gripped from end to end and I totally recommend the entire series.
If you live vampires, warriors and a good love scene or two then go for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rehvenge Revealed, 25 May 2009
Rehvenge, druglord of Caudwell, hardass half vampire half sympath. This character, introduced in Lover Awakened as Bella's brother, has been building through the series and had captured the interest of many.

The Warden really outdone herself with this novel. Many were disappointed with Lover Enshrined with the lack of romance. However, I am liking the change. The romance on the backburner but still there adds the flame to the upcoming war with Lessers with Lash now leading them.

Rehvenge as we know from Lover Enshrined is a sex slave to the Princess, his half sister of the Sympath Colony. This book shows the relationship and how it is formed. His new female, Ehlena is strong, with a heart of gold. Her simplicity yet devotion to her father stole my heart.

Wrath and the Brotherhood are a huge part in this novel. Wrath, Son of Wrath, is a major player, finally coming to terms with his new position as King. But with that, there is problems, missing being with his Brothers in the frontlines. His longing puts slack on his and Beth's relationship. But as usual, that is not the only problem for this grand King.
Health issues arise.

Lash, the Omega's son, is another key player in this book. He has been a mystery but now we are allowed to see inside his head. The Warden has made him a truly deviant character that had me waiting for him to spring up again. His intentions to bring war on the vampires with the Sympath's help had me on the edge of my seat.

Xhex and John Matthews are the final key players. Their attraction to each other is finally really and truly seen. Xhex is given a Human side not seen in the other books. Her involvement with Muhrder is brought out in the open and in this book...sparks fly, setting it up for John's book next in the series.

Overall, it was a perfect book, and I would recommend it to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rehvenge makes a definite impact., 28 Nov 2010
Paula Mc (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
'Lover Avenged' is the story of Rehvenge, who is not part of the Brotherhood but is related to them by marriage (his sister Bella is married to Zsadist, the main characters in 'Lover Awakened', book three of the series) and he also had dealings with Wrath, the leader of the Brotherhood. Rehvenge has always been a secondary character, mentioned throughout the books because he owns SumZero, the nightclub where the brothers are regulars. You do not know much about Rehvenge except that he is half symphath which he has to keep secret because sympaths are seen as evil and have been banished to the symphath colony.

Rehvenge struggles with both his vampire side (from his Mother) and his symphath side (from his Father), he has many secrets which has led to blackmail and misery for Rehvenge but everything he does, he does for his family and his friends, if his secret is revealed, there will be a ripple effect with more secrets being revealed.

Rehvenge's life changes somewhat for the better when he meets Ehlena, a nurse who works in the clinic which Rehvenge attends for medication which helps to hide his symphath side, Ehlena is different because she is not caught up in the politics which consume Rehvenge's life but can Ehlena accept Rehvenge's lifestyle?

As you know from my previous reviews I have enjoyed all of the books in the series so far but with 'Lover Avenged', J.R. Ward has taken the series to a new level, the story is exciting,there is more drama with the Lessening Society and issues being addressed (something which has been done in the previous books, which I forgot to mention) which makes for interesting reading, it shows that the characters are not perfect and have flaws. There are also political issues within the vampire society being addressed and you cannot help but breathe a sigh of relief that Wrath is in charge.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't wait for the next BDB book!!!!, 12 Feb 2010
G. Ince ""TBS"" (Romford) - See all my reviews
Have to say, I was a little bit worried before starting the book because
1) I didn't like Rehv very much before
2) I wanted Tohr's story to be continued first (!!!)
3) Rehvenge IS NO BROTHER

You know what ... it doesn't matter anymore!!
Rehvenge's book is excellent!! There are a lot of twists and turns, a couple of real cliffhangers, and all the attributes that made me love the whole series so much are still there. There's a lot of drama and humour, fighting, love, sex, ... the whole BDB-package.

IMO the rescue-mission for Rehv could have been longer ... I'd have really loved it to be MUCH MORE DETAILED as the brothers split and fighting took place on two different locations and we didn't really get to know what happened outside where "team 2" fought with the lessers. I know it's Rehv's story and so he had to get all the attention but we've never seen the whole brotherhood with a couple of civilians on a mission and it was really great. Would have loved to know how Tohr was doing on his comeback-fight, how Lassiter fought, how JM, Quhinn and Blay did, etc. etc. Well, I guess you cannot have everything you want ...

Rehvenge has redeemed himself (and you just have to love him now) ... JM is next (Lover Mine) ... I cannot wait!!

Lover Avenged is a really, really great read and I can only recommend to you to get the book and start reading. I'm sure you'll like it!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Unputdownable, 1 Feb 2010
I've only just discovered J.R Ward dosey me!!! i bought Dark Lover last summer and didn't get round to it, i've read the Sookie Stackhouse books :( and the Anita Blake books :) and enjoyed the Brent Weeks trilogy :) to name a few, I like to read a wide range of fiction and also factual books, my fictional picks must be something i can escape into and i like a book to have a good plot and story, these books have it in spades! from the moment i started to read Dark Lover i just couldn't put it down and found my self ordering the rest of the series express delivery, I felt lost when i got to the end of the available series with this book Lover Avenged. With all of the books i was quickly drawn into the plot and loved the characters, i also like that Ward writes the women in her stories like they've got a brain! and her male characters are just so seductive all in different ways, I loved the intimate sexual scenes and found i kept forgetting to breath everytime they came up!! so exciting! i can't fault any book from the series. I've pre ordered her new one out soon and i'm looking forward to being self indulgent and spending the time just to sit, read and fantasize when it arrives, it's also set me on the hunt for another read that can top The Black Dagger Brotherhood........

ARRAY(0xafa429a8)

Lover Avenged: Number 7 in series (Black Dagger Brotherhood)
5.99