5.0 out of 5 stars this book is different
Published on 17 Feb 2012 by J. Turner

3.0 out of 5 stars Celebrity in Death by J D Robb
I too am a great fan of the "In Death Series" and also of Nora Roberts' many other books but I feel a little bit let down by this particular book. Perhaps I am always expecting too much of Ms Roberts but this book was very slow and I considered it did not warm up until at least two thirds of the way through.

The switching from surnames to christian names of...
Published on 22 Feb 2012 by annieb

5.0 out of 5 stars this book is different, 17 Feb 2012
J. Turner (Wales) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Celebrity In Death: 34 (Hardcover)
but it's still a great read! Dallas & Roarke attend a dinner party for the cast of the new film, based on Dallas' solving of the Icove case, the book having been written by Nadine Furst. During the showing of the 'gag reel', a woman is found drowned in the rooftop pool. Was it an accident or murder? Dallas is once more on the case, with Peabody at her side, and soon finds out that she on the trail of a deadly foe... Im not giving the game away, buy it! Great characters, a runaway plot and the tension builds nicely, page after page. All the old favourites are there, and it's unputdownable. JDR or as she is better known, Nora Roberts, has done it again! Classic stuff!

5.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing...., 18 Feb 2012
This review is from: Celebrity In Death: 34 (Hardcover)
I am incredibly biased, as I have stated previously, as I LOVE these books... This is a quieter installment than others: as stated by other reviewers, there are no car chases, near death experiences (death experiences by those that die obviously, but not for Eve), no running down muggers, etc.

BUT this is a great character catch-up piece, a bit like Memory in Death (In Death Series). All of the secondary characters are there and you get time to catch up on how each of them are doing, which is great as usually the books are so action-packed you hardly see any of them (New York To Dallas a case in point!) and then other reviewers complain that they don't see Mavis or Nadine as much as they want to! Poor JDR can't win! However, this reader wins every time a new book comes out, no matter what JDR has in store for us!

This book is slower-paced but there are still interesting twists and turns.

If you are a long-time follower of the series, it is a delicious reward to sink into this world in a frankly much nicer environment to the stench that we're usually in and to actually remember all of the different characters and how far they've come on this journey that JDR is weaving for us.

If you are a newcomer, I do believe that this book will make you want to read at least Origin in Death (In Death Series) which is what the film in "Celebrity in Death" is based. However, if you're nosy/like to do your research/whatever you like to call yourself to say you're not nosy, you will want to go back to the first book in this series, Naked in Death (In Death Series) where it all began and walk through the series with the rest of us long-timers. Lets put it this way, I've introduced several people to JDR and they are all still reading the books when they come out, just like I am! As I have lent out my copies of "Naked", I now need to by my 3rd personal copy of it as I never get it back!

I had just finished Glory in Death: In Death Series: Book 2 (In Death 2) when this book arrived and what really caught my attention in "Celebrity" were the differences, not just in Eve which I confess is where I normally see the changes, but in Roarke himself. If you don't believe me, go back to "Glory" then read "Celebrity" and see the difference! His changes over the series have been a lot more subtle but thy are still, definitely there!

As ever, I will be re-reading it again, probably starting today and enjoying every word.

Long live Eve and Roarke!

3.0 out of 5 stars Celebrity in Death by J D Robb, 22 Feb 2012
This review is from: Celebrity In Death: 34 (Hardcover)

The switching from surnames to christian names of the acting characters were, at times, quite confusing and I also admit to missing some of the characters which are normally included in her books, and especially missed the interactions between Eve and Summerset and the commaraderie within the NYPSD HQ.

Although it was a reasonable read, on the whole, I was quite disappointed with this book - hopefully better next time with "Delusion in Death" later this year.

5.0 out of 5 stars just keeps getting better, 18 Feb 2012
This review is from: Celebrity In Death: 34 (Hardcover)
How do you follow all the dramatic events in New York to Dallas, quite easily if your JD Robb, this book has got to be one of the best in the series, the plot very complex, an actor working on the movie "the icove project" is murdered, while at a party with Eve, Roarke, Peabody etc. The murdered actress was playing Peabody in the movie, as the film is based on a true crime book written by Nadine Cross based on an earler case which Eve and Peabody worked "origin in death" so also present at the party are "fake" Eve, Roarke etc. All this gives plenty of scope for some much needed light relief, after the truly dramatic events in the last book everything is so much more relaxed in this offering and it makes for an excellent read. Yes somebodys been murdered, but for the regular cast of characters this almost seems like a working holiday, everybodys happy and are enjoying themselves, i could not put it down, there are some hilarious puns and fun to be had avoiding confusion between "real" and "fake" characters, a book about a film based on a book about a crime which is itself a work of fiction, pure genius, it sounds like it shoudn't work, that it could turn out cheesy,but i actually found myself forgetting these people are works of fiction, and i don't think you can say more than that.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another very good read in a delightful series, 8 Mar 2012
L. J. Roberts (Oakland, CA, USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Celebrity In Death: 34 (Hardcover)
First Sentence: With frustration, and some regret, she studied murder.

Lt. Eve Dallas couldn't do anything about one of her past cases gaining national attention with a book having been written about it. Now it's being turned into a film and its strange having others play her and those close to her on sets eerily similar to her reality. The worlds of make-believe and reality collide when the murder of an actress portraying Dallas' second, Peabody, occurs at a party.

The J.D. Robb books are one of my slightly guilty pleasures but there's really no reason to feel that way. J.D. Robb is, in fact, mega-bestseller Nora Roberts and she didn't achieve her success by writing poorly.

Robb creates great characters with whom we become involved and invested--they, and their inter-relationships, become almost real to us. And yes, there's sex; a natural part of a married relationship. One of the best parts of her characters is that they have grown and changed through the series. What's remarkable is to think that, in the span of 34 books, the series has only progress about two years in character time; a subtle touch that both keeps the characters form again and adds realism as no policeman only has one major case per year.

Robb writes delightful dialogue with humor, edge and occasionally insight. Her books are set in the near future with just enough sci-fi to be interesting, but real time is catching up to invented time. Don't mistake her books for fluff, however. There is plenty of grit to them, and the hard unpleasant realities of a murder investigation. The plot is complex enough to keep any mystery fan guessing. When I can't identify the killer, I'm a happy reader, indeed.

"Celebrity in Death" is yet another very good read in a series I hope continues for many years to come.

CELEBRITY IN DEATH (Fut. Pol Proc-Lt. Eve Dallas-New New York City-Future) - VG
Robb, J.D. (aka Nora Roberts) - 34th in series
Putnam, 2012

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as futuristic as usual, 13 Sep 2012
This review is from: Celebrity In Death: 34 (Paperback)
Is it just me or is this book lacking the futuristic detail of her other works in this series? There are no droids, no clever computer antics, very few references to anything that we don't have now - it seems more like a poirot murder mystery, a whodunnit than any of the other books. I usually love the In Death books but this one didn't hit the mark for me for some reason. Disappointed. Nothing special and they usually are.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not up to the usual Dallas standards, 5 Mar 2012
C. Irwin "Cazzymouse" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Celebrity In Death: 34 (Hardcover)
I couldn't help feeling disapointed in this Dallas novel. As an avid 'In Death' reader this one really didn't grip me and I had lost interest fairly quickly. Can't quite put my finger on what was lacking but it was dull.

3.0 out of 5 stars Happy but confused, 18 Feb 2012
This review is from: Celebrity In Death: 34 (Hardcover)
This is my first JD Robb book, which I bought on the recommendation of a committed Robb fan and also because I loved the story promised by the blurb.
I can see by the inside cover that Robb has written many previous books and consequently Celebrity in Death might not be the best place to start in a long series... however... I am sooo confused: I loved the characters, all of the them - which is part of the problem because there are just so many characters introduced in the first few chapters. Also so much reference is made to previous events and previous cases that I really had to work hard to keep up.
Many other series books will provide little internal summaries for newbies like me, so that we can be up to date with the main character's personal life and previous cases. Unfortunately, in Celebrity in Death, this is touched on so lightly that I really didn't know quite what was going on and this detracted from the new story that was about to unfold.
That said, I really loved the writing and am already quite fond of the characters, so I may revisit this book again after reading the rest of the series.

4.0 out of 5 stars This Book is full of Anal, 30 Jun 2014
Really, it's full of anal* .

*I'm not quite sure that JD Robb is aware of the pitfalls of using "ANAL" as a shortform for "ANALYSIS". She started doing this in book 33 or 34... and I can't believe no one has pointed this out in reviews, or better yet, no one has pointed it out to her.

Other than that, really enjoyable book, as usual.

5.0 out of 5 stars celebrity in Death, 22 Jun 2014
Another good read, kept me interested all the way through. I enjoy this series with Eve and Roake as the headliners it works so well, the tough girl cop and the Irish rouge of a husband both climb out of the slum to make something of themselves.

Celebrity In Death: 34
Celebrity In Death: 34 by J. D. Robb (Paperback - 7 Aug 2012)