4.0 out of 5 stars Dark Hunter World - Retribution
Published on 6 Aug 2011 by S. Wilson

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't seem like a Dark Hunter Novel
To begin with I thought "Oh yes, the Dark Hunters are back!" By was I mistaken.

Published on 24 Aug 2011 by Ronkira

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't seem like a Dark Hunter Novel, 24 Aug 2011
To begin with I thought "Oh yes, the Dark Hunters are back!" By was I mistaken.

Dont get wrong I loved the fact Zarek, Sasha, Nick, Ash and Artie were all mentioned (though Ash and Artie were a bonus chapter)but it just didnt seem like the usual Dark Hunter series. Fair enough Were-hunter and Dream-hunter are part of the DH Series but we all know they always go off on a different tangent to the Dark Hunters line, but Retribution went way off base for a DH story.

Even now after finishing the book I have no idea what it was about, or where it will lead. Will there be a Retribution 2 (hope not) Is SK bringing out a "Guardians" sub series(akin to Weres and Dreams) if so surely it should have been advertised as such.

I know she needs a new line of thinking because she made the Daimon's daywalkers (bad move) but why not come up with a way of making the Daimons night creatures again. Maybe infecting a Gallu with some sort of serum and when the Daimons feed they change back... I dont know.

On a different note what I did miss was the sex scenes - the one I read (and I think there was only one) was pretty boring. Where was the touching, the loving, the sexual heat of it all. It was brief and bland.

Sorry SK I did not enjoy this book but have given it 3 stars purely because it mentioned some old friends.

Maybe SK is changing her writing style to suit the movie/tv series deal she has made.... lets hope not.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dark Hunter World - Retribution, 6 Aug 2011
S. Wilson (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This is the twentieth book in the series and features Jess 'Sundown' Brady and Abigail. We first met Jess in Zareks story (Dance with the Devil) when he went up to Alaska to help save Zarek from being killed. Another character we haven't heard from much since that story also re-appears in Retribution - Sasha (Astrid, Zareks now wife's wolf protector). This story heavily centres on Native American mythology (don't know if that's the right term to use) which opens up a whole new branch off the main Dark Hunter 'tree' for the author to explore. Jess actually knew Abigail when she was a child as he was great friends with her mother however Abigail's mother and father were murdered when she was a child and the killer looked exactly like Jess so Abigail has been hunting him to kill him all of her life. Jess wins their fight and takes Abigail back to his home where she starts to believe that he didn't actually kill her parents and following a steamy scene in a car wash starts to actually develop feelings for him and him for her. Can their relationship bloom as she has to be prepared to sacrifice herself for murdering one of the guardians?

This wasn't my favourite, I've got to say. I did still enjoy the book but I just couldn't bring myself to actually like Abigail, maybe it was something to do with her murdering all of those Dark Hunters at the beginning of the story, who knows? I did however like Sundown and the Native American aspect to the story. As I said not my favourite but still a good book and worth the read.

1.0 out of 5 stars dreadful book, 9 Sep 2011
This book was awful. The story was weak the characterisations poor and it was just plain bad. Not up to standard. Ms Kenyon hasn't written a good one since Acheron.Like a previous reviewer I was glad I hadn't forked out cash to read this.

4.0 out of 5 stars "Dark-Hunter" series book 20, 6 Aug 2011
Book Addict - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
William Jessup Brady aka Sundown is a Dark-Hunter who has made appearances in previous DH books. Now he takes a lead role as a new evil threatens the world, but before he can save the day he first he has to convince the human killing Dark-Hunters that he didn't murder her parents.

Since their death Abigail has vowed retribution and has even gone as far to merge her very DNA with a demon to obtain the strength needed to take down the Dark-Hunter responsible for the slaughter of her parents; Jess Brady. In her world Dark-Hunters are the bad guys who hunt and kill her adoptive Apollite family, and when she's asked to take out another fanged being she doesn't hesitate. Unfortunately this fanged being wasn't a Dark-Hunter and his death opens up the possibility of "the world getting swallowed whole into a vat of evil" which can only be stopped by sacrificing the person responsible; Abigail.

I liked the action, pace and romance elements of this story, but the humour felt a little flat and didn't have the sharpness I associate with this author. Jess (very) occasionally felt like a second rate Zarek, but when he gets his game on he proves to be on par with any other DH hero. Abigail I thought was great (disregarding the DH murders she commits) and she proves to be the sort of feisty heroine I like. Abigail may not be prepared to die to save the world, but she's prepared to die for Jess.

The above may seem quite negative, but I still enjoyed this book immensely. The introduction of Native American legends adds a new layer and there's never a dull moment as old favourites make brief appearances amid the escalating battle to save the world. The histories of Jess and Abigail are very moving in places and additionally "Retribution" ends with a really lovely epilogue that had me reaching for the tissues.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not up to standard, 17 Aug 2011
Lisa Swift "Not shy, just studying" (Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I was really looking forward to the latest addition to the Dark Hunter series. We'd initially met Jess in Dance With The Devil (Zarek's story) and he came across as another character with a story to tell.

I feel a bit let down by Retribution. There was something a bit haphazard and rushed about it, and for the first few chapters I found myself a bit confused and rereading back thinking I'd missed explanations. At times, the scenes are written as though we were privy to information about the characters background, only that information didn't appear until later in the book, making the flow feel jerky.

I did like the concept of using Native American mythology but, again, it didn't really feel as well thought out as other books in the series. And the relationship between Jess and Abigail just didn't seem as believable as with the other characters in the series. The appearance of a few other Darkhunters seemed to have been thrown in with no real reason behind it other than to have a nod toward characters we know and Ash's complete absence from the tale just didn't sit well with me. A Dark Hunter story with no snark from Ash just isn't right.

I finished the book with a disappointed "is that it?"

Without giving away any spoilers, the epilogue was probably the best part of the book. If you're a fan of the Darkhunter series, then obviously you need to have this one and, of course, it is definitely readable but it's not one of the best in the series - which is a shame.

2.0 out of 5 stars Dare I say that this was a tad...boring and waaay out?, 12 Aug 2011
ROROBLU'S MUM "ROROBLU'S MUM" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I stopped buying SK books when Fang and Aimee's tale proved to be such a disappointment, though I still read her. Luckily my library had this within days of it coming out, so I don't begrudge the forty-p reservation fee. However, I would not have been very happy had I forked out for this.

I found this tale just an addition to the DH world because a summer biggie is expected of this author - it wasn't great, it was only ok. The characters didn't seem fully formed and it lacked the humour normally associated with these books. In fact the only humour seemed to come from Jess blushing occasionally and his squire Andy's antics over the damage to his cars, which got rather repetitive. Even the passion that we normally see between the leads was absent and it seemed as if the love scenes were there because they are expected to be. I couldn't even get very interested in their first love scene in the car and in fact can barely remember the build-up to it, and I've only just finished reading it! I've found myself skim-reading this book from a very early point.

The only good things in this for me are that we see Acheron and Tory become parents, and peace is made with Artemis in the Bonus scene; we hear that Zarek and Astrid are living their HEA and have a son and a daughter - both those couples had great books.

Furthermore, I found the talk of Native American legends and Gods and the added complication of Guardians to be confusing and kept wondering if I'd missed any mention of any of this in previous books, but apparently not. Ironically, I've just finished the excellent Shadow Walker by Allyson James that features Coyote, weres and spirits, which was SO much better than this effort.

Will I continue to read SK? Maybe, as I do like her w/a Kinley MacGregor, but every DH book since Acheron has been a poor imitation, and don't get me started on her 'Nick' novels - she really is just starting to spin things out for the money, IMO. Also, look to the back and the author's note and for the first time ever that I can recall, she admits to Native American ancestry - is this to justify her adding NA lore to her tale, and to garner her more fans/readers from NA backgrounds? Cynicism much?... I really cannot see where else the author can take this series, and I certainly won't be buying any more DH tales. Sorry!

3.0 out of 5 stars Missing a little of her usual oomph, 17 Nov 2011
Cheryl M-M (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Kenyon is usually good for a great para/supernatural read, however this one seemed a little off the mark. Maybe it was just me but the two main characters didn't seem to gel or fit as nicely as the other couples have. I thought having him do the dirty with a child he once knew many centuries ago was a bit awkward. Jess also didn't appear to be the same type of adoringly handsome to die for Dark Hunter the readers are used to and the story went off in a few hitherto unknown areas. Not sure, but then again perhaps it was just because I thought Acheron (Dark Hunter): A Dark-Hunter Novel, Volume 11 (Dark-Hunter World) was such a cracking read that it is really hard to follow, after that book all others have a hard time shining as brightly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark goddess, 4 Sep 2011
As always the Dark Hunters are amazing. Great story and a twist from the norm using the Native American pantheon as opposed to the Greek and Celtic. A great epilogue giving us the greatly awaited birth of baby Parthenopaeous. Also great to have the same narrator. I'd give it 10 stars but I only have 5!

3.0 out of 5 stars Losing the Plot, 4 Aug 2011
J. Dirpaul - See all my reviews
When Acheron was released I started reading this series and in two weeks had read all the dark-hunter, dream-hunter and were-hunter books up to that point. Since then it's taken so long to read other books that I'm slowly losing the whole thing.
I really enjoy the books but was slightly disappointed with Retribution. Who were the Guardians? Where did they come from and how is it that I haven't heard about them prior to this book? Maybe I did but seems I've forgotten. I don't remember or think I know who Sasha is nor Renegade. The last bit I remember picking up in this series was that a group of Dark-Hunters had come to babysit Nick.
Acheron was sorely missing, no contact whatsoever from him to the point where the Bonus Chapter was a relief.
I enjoy that the books focus less on sex and more on the whole plot but it's slowly slipping away from me.
Didn't hate this book but didn't love it either because there was so many new things going on that I was relatively confused. However it did prove a good 2-day read.

5.0 out of 5 stars brill, 19 Feb 2014
All her books pull you in , make you laugh and cry and above all fall in love with dark Hunters more each time . X

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xae25d174)

Retribution (Dark-Hunter World)
Retribution (Dark-Hunter World) by Sherrilyn Kenyon (Paperback - 5 April 2012)
5.59