5.0 out of 5 stars Bring on the Black Dagger Brotherhood!!
Published on 29 July 2010 by K. Hall

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Read
I ordered these as I thought it was a full set, read the first book (which is good if you want a short but interesting read) then checked online to see which was next in the reading order. To my dismay, this bundle completely missed the second book out.
Published on 10 Mar 2011 by Rahsykins

5.0 out of 5 stars Bring on the Black Dagger Brotherhood!!, 29 July 2010
K. Hall "Kazzy" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
These were the first books by J R Ward I have read, but WOW what an author. I thought the character names were a bit weird to begin with, but as you get engrossed in the story the names do not detract from the exciting and steamy storylines. I thought the first book was a bit slow to get going initially, but after the first few chapters and setting the scene, I found the whole series amazing. I couldn't put them down and just kept reading one after the other until I'd finished the whole series! I'd recommend the BDB to anyone who loves vampire stories with unexpected twists and plenty of 'hot, sexy characters' that get you enthralled and eager for more. Sad in places, funny and extremely entertaining novels that are definitely a keep on my bookshelf!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Now my Favourite of the genre., 9 Oct 2006
Vampire romances have always been my number one choice for reading material, particularly anything by Laurell K Hamilton, Sherrilyn Kenyon, and Angela Knight. I have now read all three of J R Wards BlackDagger Brotherhood series up to and including Lover Awakened. Although all three where fantastic reads, it has to be said that Zsadists story has been the best so far, it has even become my favourite of the genre. Ward creates an edgy, modern take on the Vampire story, breathing new life into what was in danger of becoming a boring and repetetive subject. She has created an ultra masculine, passionate, yet tortured character in Zsadist, he is a little darker than most Vampire anti heros, which to me made a refreshing change (i hate it when they get too mushy too quickly).Although the sex scenes are plentiful and passionate, they are well written, and very steamy. The story is firmly rooted in the 21st century, so if historical romances are your favourite this may not appeal quite as much, although having said that i can't imagine anyone not liking this book. Give the whole series a try i guarantee you won't be dissapointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant third book in the series, 25 Nov 2006
Helen Hancox "Auntie Helen" (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I loved this book. I very much enjoyed the two previous novels, "Dark Lover" and "Lover Eternal" and this book was even better. I've just finished it having spent my entire Saturday afternoon glued to it. And, embarrassingly to admit, I'm wiping away a few tears that I shed whilst reading it.

This book follows the story of Zsadist, the scarred and broken member of the Brotherhood of vampires. We learned a little about him in the previous two books - he's the scary one who may or may not kill his lovers and can't bear anyone to touch him. At the end of the last book, "Lover Eternal", Bella the female vampire was kidnapped and Zsadist discovered he had an obsession with her - trying to find her.

This book starts six weeks after those events - Zsadist is still looking for Bella although pretty much everyone thinks she's dead. Mr O, the Fore-Lesser (head of the vampire slayers) is instead holding her hostage and playing mind games with her. When another vampire held hostage escapes, the Brotherhood come to rescue Bella and Zsadist takes her home to his room. And there starts his troubles.

I didn't really understand the character of Zsadist in the previous books - but in this story we learn about him and Bella through their interaction. What's so great about the story is that it all makes sense, his behaviour is a result of the terrible experiences he had as a blood slave which are given to us as back story. We also learn more about his twin, Phury, how he lost his leg (although not why he's celibate). Bella finds herself attracted to Zsadist but it's almost impossible for her to get through to him because of his huge issues with touch and with himself and his body. The chapters where he learns to tolerate her presence and her touch are brilliantly written, as are the reactions of the other Brothers to their most dangerous comrade's behaviour.

We also learn more about John, the mute young lad who is approaching his transition to Brother and some of his past history too. J R Ward has peppered her stories with flawed characters, people who have experienced awful events which have shaped them into the people that they are which is not always all good.

The Lessening Society continues to rumble on in the background of this book with Mr O and Mr X and the Omega. Those chapters are short and the actual fights between the two sides aren't particularly detailed in this book, but Mr O's character is becoming more fixed.

There are some pretty sad parts to this book and events that happen appear to be setting up for subsequent novels. But overall it was an exhilarating read - the thought that a ruined man can be redeemed; and it's not just a cheesy "saved by the love of a good woman", it's that he finds his equilibrium through a number of different events and with a group of different people around him.

It's a truly excellent book and I highly recommend it to all who like vampire fiction of a more earthy kind!

5.0 out of 5 stars Do you get the impression I like this book?, 13 Sep 2006
Lola Creole (London,England) - See all my reviews
What can I write about this book that will not spoil the story? Well to put it succinctly, this is the crème de la crème of its genre. Book three in the most fantastic series of paranormal romance novels EVER. And in my opinion, it blows every other vamp series out of the water. Repeatedly.

LA tells the story of Zsadist - the most volatile and dangerous member of the Black Dagger Brotherhood. For those of you who have read the previous two books in this series, you will know (and, in my case love) Z well and I do not have to tell you how good this is as you will have been waiting as eagerly as I was for it. For those of you who are new to JR Wards' writing, you are in for a treat.

Z is emotionally and physically scarred and most give him a wide birth. Until, that is, he meets a female who is compelled to see beyond the surface to the male inside. This is the darkest of the three books so far and while there are elements of a romance story it is by no means a romantic tale. Zsadist has been through much and Ward does not try to sugar coat it at all. It has its love scenes but I wouldn't say they were `steamy' however and considering the context, I don't feel it would have worked if they were.

I cannot recommend this series highly enough. It is so very different from everything thing else out there, so refreshing and groundbreaking - it's really in a class of its own.

Buy all three books. Read them in order. And fall in love again and again and again.

5.0 out of 5 stars With regards to the previous review, which just goes to prove.........., 28 April 2007
......we don't all like the same thing, and each to their own. I am sooooo totally in love with this series, I can't ever imagine describing it as 'hard to finish'.

As with the Sherrilyn Kenyon 'Dark Hunter' books, there is a certain predictability with the Black Dagger Brotherhood series. But.....each book is so well written I find myself absolutely flying through the pages - I read the first three books within a week (an absolute first for me!) So eager was I to get my hands on the fourth title in the series, Lover Revealed, that I actually ordered it from America as it's not released here until May 07. And yes, I've received it, read it, and lovingly placed it with my other 'keepers' ;)

Zsadist's story has been my favourite so far - there is something about tragic, misunderstood types that lure me in. Again, there is the 'will they, won't they' scenario between the vampire and his soul mate - the love scenes are plentiful and graphic, but with the tragedy that has been his life so far, there is more to Zsadist's tale than say, Wrath's.

But the best thing about this series is how REAL it all seems. I feel I could walk into ZeroSum's, look into a dark corner and see Butch and V sitting there.
I'm currently reading the Christine Feehan Carpathian series - written completely differently, I would almost call it old-fashioned (but sticking with it, as I live in hope it will get better).

Roll on October 07 - Lover Unbound will be dropping on my mat and I can dive into Vishous' story.......

5.0 out of 5 stars Lover Awakened - 3rd book in series, 17 Sep 2006
T. Neal "traskey" (Hemel Hempstead, England) - See all my reviews
This is the third book of the Black Dagger Brotherhood by JR Ward and her best yet.

The story focus is the vampire Zsadist, twin brother to Phury and a former blood slave. Mentally and physically scarred he is full of anger. When Bella, a female vampire is kidnapped by the lessers Zsadist is determined to find and rescue her.

[]

JR Ward's writing continues to be more and more enthralling. Whilst I enjoyed the first book in the series, Dark Lover, I thought that the second book, Lover Eternal was considerably better. This third book was so enthralling it had me smiling, laughing and crying as I turned the pages. I couldn't put the book down and I would thoroughly recommend this to anyone who enjoys this genre of books[]. Ward has the ability to pull you into the characters lives and her books are extremely well written.

I cannot wait for book 4, Lover Revealed next March!

5.0 out of 5 stars good series, 12 Sep 2006
D. Haywood (UK) - See all my reviews
This is turning into such a good series I am looking forward to the next installment. Fortunately the books come out in 6 month intervals rather than the standard once a year. This third book is now my personal favorite. There is a successful mix of both tragedy and happiness throughout the book and enough details of the other characters that you look forward to their individual stories. Definitely one to keep and re-read while waiting for the next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lover Awakened, 9 Sep 2006
W. Eaton (London) - See all my reviews
One of the best books I've read in ages. The only problem is that the book was too short, even though it has 434 pages I just didn't want to stop reading it. I just can't wait until March for the next book.

This book and the whole series is a totally excellent. I thought that the character Rhage in lover Eternal (second book in the series) was wonderfull but after reading this book I totally changed my mind.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely fantastic!, 5 Sep 2006
What can I say?! I get more and more involved with the Black Dagger brotherhood with every book I read and I am not disappointed. This book was the best for me so far as most girls dream of turning that bad boy (and oh what a bad boy) in to your very own dreeeaaam boy! Z's story is told with such detail that I felt for him more with every page I read. His story was emotional but darn right erotic when he eventually got it together with Bella!

I cant wait to read Butch's story next but whats with Phury? And I can see that V's story will be very interesting too, and what will come of Tohr? J.R. Ward, you just don't write them quick enough!

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding !!!!!, 20 Mar 2007
"A former blood slave, the vampire Zsadist still bears the scars from a past filled with suffering and humiliation. Renowned for his unquenchable fury and sinister deeds, he is a savage feared by humans and vampires alike. Anger is his only companion, and terror his only passion - until he rescues a beautiful female from the evil Lessening Society.

Bella is instantly entranced by the seething power Zsadist possesses. But even as their desire for each other begins to overtake them, Zsadist's thirst for vengeance against Bella's tormentors drives him to the brink of madness. Now Bella must help her lover overcome the wounds of his tortured past and find a future with her... "

Perfectly written, catchy, breathtaking and romantic. I can not wait to read the next book. This is one of my MOST favorite series. Highly recommended .... buy it, read it and enjoy the ride !!!!

Lover Awakened: Number 3 in series (Black Dagger Brotherhood)
6.29