5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely supernatural romance
I have read a lot of Lisa Kleypas books both historical and contemporary. This book is the third in the Friday harbour series, and if you like books that lean towards fantasy and the supernatural you will love this one. I was hooked from the word go! Looking forward to reading the next one in the series, Crystal Cove.
Published 7 months ago by mrs jenny l hardcastle

3.0 out of 5 stars Kleypas can do better
Readers who loved the previous books in Kleypas' Friday Harbor series, (Christmas Eve at Friday Harbor and Rainshadow Road), are likely to love Dream Lake. I had a more mixed reaction to Rainshadow Road, and although my problems with Dream Lake are slightly different, it left me with a similarly ambivalent feeling.

*Please note that there are mild spoilers...
Published on 21 Sep 2012 by Houston

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely supernatural romance, 14 Mar 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars Dream Lake, 27 Jun 2013
K. L. Beeden (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dream Lake (Friday Harbor) (Paperback)
''Dream Lake' follows the relationship of Zoe Hoffman, a romantic idealist and Alex Nolan, cynical yet sexy carpenter. Zoe is developing a house so she can care for her grandmother who has recently been diagnosed with vascular dementia, and Alex is brought in to convert it to a suitable living space. However, recovering alcoholic Alex is followed by a ghost that only he can see, a ghost who wants to answer the questions about his own life...

The book started slowly, but when it did gain pace I found I was hooked. I particularly loved the descriptions of the gourmet food Zoe cooks- mouthwatering stuff!

I wasn't familiar with the author before, but the cover describes her as 'up there with Marian Keyes and Cecelia Ahern' and a 'New York Times bestseller'. I can certainly see elements of Cecelia Ahern in her writing style, as well as Sarah Addison Allen.

7/10

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book, 13 Feb 2013
I enjoyed every second of it. Alex is just Alex and ZOe is the perfect woman for him. X x

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved it!, 18 Jan 2013
This review is from: Dream Lake (Friday Harbor) (Paperback)
I was lucky enough to win this paperback from a giveaway on Dizzy C's Little Book Blog. I'll be truthful and say that I probably wouldn't have picked this book up if I saw it in a shop but I'm immensely glad that I won it and got the chance to read it, I feel like I would've missed out if I hadn't. This book is part of the Friday Harbor series and it didn't seem to matter that I haven't read any of the other books - it works well as a standalone.

It started with an introduction to the ghost, I was so intrigued by him because he knew nothing about himself and I couldn't wait to join him on his journey to discover everything he needed to know. After Sam Nolan had bought the house that the ghost was currently living in/haunting, he began renovating with the help of his brother Alex. It was Alex's arrival at the house that marked a significant change for the ghost because Alex was able to hear and see him!

Most of the characters in this book had some kind of sad story to tell, it was filled with complicated family dynamics and lives that had been tinged with sadness. It wasn't all seriousness and heartbreak though, there were quite a few times when I found myself laughing out loud - the tense friendship between Alex and the ghost caused most of my laughs. I loved how the ghost became a part of Alex's everyday life, casually involving himself in his conversations and interactions.

The chemistry between Alex and ZoŽ was hot and I was glued to the pages hoping that things would work out for them. ZoŽ had a wonderful relationship with her Grandmother, Emma, who was struggling with some health issues and being a familiar subject to me I found I could relate to this side of the book easily.

It was very easy to visualise everything from the descriptions, particularly all the mouth-watering food, and I think that it would make a wonderful movie. I enjoyed trying to piece together all the clues of the ghosts life and was relieved to finally discover the truth about it all.

I read this in less than a day, by the time I reached the end I simply could not stop the tears from falling and I finished the book feeling strangely relaxed even though I had been crying so much!

This was an incredible read, it was thought-provoking and emotional. I definitely want to read more from this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 11 Nov 2012
A rare find with a unique story telling perspective. Likeable characters and a need to turn the page! This is a great read

4.0 out of 5 stars suprisingly good, 11 Nov 2012
Z. Dillon (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dream Lake (Friday Harbor) (Paperback)
I wasnt expecting too much as I hadnt read any of her books before but boy was I suprised. Really good book with a lovely little storyline and romance. What got me was how realistic and flawed the cgarcters were. They certainly arent the usual perfect hero/heroine but are all the more likeable for it. I would recommend as the book is an easy read on a cold evening

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good read, 12 Oct 2012
This review is from: Dream Lake (Friday Harbor) (Paperback)
I had already read the other books about the 2 brothers, and enjoyed them so much I got this one. She (the author) reminds me in ways of the Nora Roberts family trilogies, etc, so I knew it would be good. Her descriptions of the area made me want to be there! I recommend this to anyone who likes Lisa Keyplass

3.0 out of 5 stars Kleypas can do better, 21 Sep 2012
This review is from: Dream Lake (Friday Harbor) (Paperback)

*Please note that there are mild spoilers below.*

In each of the Friday Harbor books the main characters have some magical ability. In Rainshadow Road this subplot was awkward and irrelevant to the overall storyline. In Dream Lake Alex's "magic" serves an important role in advancing the plot; (he is the only one able to see and interact with a ghost, who becomes an important character in his own right). ZoŽ's "magic" on the other hand, feels like a last minute addition that has little impact.

Unlike Kleypas' normally excellent writing, characterization is one of the most uneven parts of Dream Lake. Alex is a recovering alcoholic who struggles with any type of interpersonal relationship. His difficulties with sobriety, relationships, and his love for ZoŽ, although not unique, are well written. His past on the other hand, which has directly lead to his current problems, is muddled. We are told several times that the Nolan parents were abusive, neglectful drunks, and that Alex "had the worst of it" compared to his brothers, but what that entailed, and why Alex alone was so affected is never detailed. ZoŽ's past, equally important to her development, is similarly murky. Even more unfortunately, although we watch Alex make peace with his past and change for the better, ZoŽ never particularly advances. Other reviewers have noted ZoŽ's unrelenting cheer and refusal to anger over anything; in the book ZoŽ comments that when she was a child she never felt able to show when she was upset and always pretended to be happy, and Alex thinks to himself that she still does the same thing... but there is no resolution of this, or many of ZoŽ's other problems.

ZoŽ and Alex's careers, as a chef and contractor/carpenter respectively, are incredibly important to each of them. Therefore, they rate discussion time in the book, and because both are outside the norm, they would be interesting for the reader to learn more about. However, as with Sam's interest in technology in Rainshadow Road, Kleypas' attempt to relay this comes across as major, repeated info dumps, rather than her usual agile writing.

In the end Dream Lake is a decent contemporary romance as long as you're not expecting perfection. But as Kleypas has demonstrated over and over agian in the past, she's capable of much more and I can't help but hope for better in Crystal Cove.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another fab book in the series, 8 Sep 2012
Sharon (Wiltshire) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Dream Lake (Friday Harbor) (Paperback)
Alex, the youngest of the Nolan brother's, has been hitting the bottle even more than usual following his separation from wife Darcy so he thinks he's going mad when he starts seeing and hearing a ghost whilst doing renovation work at his brother Sam's house. The ghost is that of a WWII pilot who doesn't know who he is and is surprised that Alex can actually see and hear him, he's also happy to find that now that he's got a human connection he can actually leave the house that he's been trapped in for years.

Zoe moved back to the island when her marriage broke down and has been working as a cook at her cousin Justine's B&B and has been leading a very solitary life.

Alex and Zoe first meet when she brings some muffins to her friend Lucy who has been staying at Sam Nolan's house following an accident. She later contacts him for a quote to renovate a house that she's bought to enable her to bring her Gran to the island as she wants to be able to look after her to pay her back for bringing her up as a child after both of her parents abandoned her.

There's an initial attraction between Alex and Zoe when they first meet but both of them have closed themselves off following the break ups of their previous relationships so are resistant to the pull of their feelings every time they meet. Can they overcome these to enable them both to move on?

At first I was a bit bemused by the storyline of the ghost but the more I read the more I loved this quirky subplot and was intrigued to find out exactly who he was and what his connection was to the house.

This is another mystical romantic story from Ms Kleypas that once I started I could not put down. I'm already looking forward to reading the next book in the series, Crystal Cove, which is due out early next year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mystical, 3 Sep 2012
S. Shamma "Suad" (Abu Dhabi, UAE) - See all my reviews
To this date, I have read each and every one of Lisa Kleypas's books. And granted, there are books that I prefer more than others, books that are stronger in plot and characterisation than others, but still...I have yet to find a book that I do not like.

Dream Lake is no exception. For some reason, this entire series has been a favourite of mine. Perhaps it isn't her best writing or her best work, but I personally loved their uniqueness. The magical touch she added, with a hint of fantasy and otherworldly characters made for a very endearing story. I might've said this before when I reviewed Rainshadow Road, but her new style reminds of Cecelia Ahern's books, who is one of my favourite authors as well.

Alex Nolan is a broken man, an alcoholic, one who has hit rock-bottom and didn't know it yet. Whereas, Zoe is the complete opposite. She's a breath of fresh air. Successful in her business, loving, open, honest, and so very caring. However, they both shared a divorce in common, and a broken family background. Lucky for Zoe though, she had her grandmother Emma to take care of her and raise her when her father and mother both bailed on her. Alex had his brothers and sister, but no one was able to salvage the damage that had already been done by their parents.

Zoe is a spectacular cook, and Alex is an incredible carpenter. Circumstances lead them to each other, and from there all hell breaks loose. Magic's in the air, sparks are flying everywhere, and the impossible is about to happen.

There's more though. The bizarre, otherworldly factor enters when a ghost haunts Alex. A ghost who apparently has a connection with Zoe. In fact, the story begins with the ghost narrating the events. In my review of Rainshadow Road I said the excerpt of Dream Lake reminded me of A Christmas Carol what with the ghost hovering and helping Alex become a better person, and it was kind of true. However, it also reminded me of Ghost - the movie. Especially with the whole ghost love story happening simultaneously.

This is a wonderful book, and once again - for me - Lisa Kleypas delivers. I cannot wait for the next installment.

Dream Lake (Friday Harbor)
Dream Lake (Friday Harbor) by Lisa Kleypas (Paperback - 7 Aug 2012)