on 25 August 2015
This book is a game changer. Everyone should read it as it lucidly explains how to adapt and flourish in the new world of work. It is one of the best books I have ever read and the people who take on board its principles will be the long term winners, trust me. Be an artist !
on 15 March 2010
Seth Godin knows his stuff and this book is a tour de force. The fundamental premise of the book is that the old economic system - people doing piecemeal jobs with no creativity for the lowest costs - is broken and that a new approach is required. An easy read, this book contains snappy chapters that make it very digestable, and is filled with interesting ideas and information that could help you overhaul your personal and professional lives.
Can't recommend it enough!
on 16 June 2011
Seth Godin's Lynchpin really makes you challenge yourself about what you contribute to your place if employment; are you just a grunt, a unit of labour to be measured, traded and pushed around? Or are you a Lynchpin, someone who makes real changes and improvements to the systems and measurements that the grunts contribute toward? According to Godin Grunts are generic whilst lynchpins are unique. Godin argues that lynchpins are are integral to successful business, add greater value and productivity - and so receive greater reward. He does not pull punches when he says that the road to becoming a lynchpin may be long and difficult but argues that an entrepreneurial spirit can help us survive the toughest economic times, and even when you work for someone else - you work for yourself.

Godin's Zen-like delivery is as charming as ever but, for me at least, the message in Lynchpin is clearer and more well defined, exampled and communicated than in his other books. A worthwhile read for anyone, an essential read for those who are stuck in a rut or have recently changed their job.
on 2 December 2014
A fantastic inspirational book from a great author. I first bought this as an audio book, but then bought two copies for my sons. One has now started his own business and the other is looking to start his when he graduates - job done!
on 2 May 2012
It's not what it says on the cover - this is part self help book, part biology lesson and part career planning.

This is a book about bringing yourself to your work, not just for the money but because you want to and because you can change things. Seth calls it your 'art' and proposes that it might just be the way to a happier life - maybe he's right?

I can see why some would not like the book, the structure is unusual but for me it works - it's a quick read (was was done in about 5x 20 minute train commutes)
on 20 October 2010
A good book to dip into now and again. Read in one sitting it can get a bit irritating as it is basically a collection of blog posts.
It can be very inspiring but also a bit simplistic.
There is nothing really wrong with it, there just seems to ba lack of substance and practical advice.
on 8 June 2010
I have to say for the most part this is an inspiring read and has affected my approach to work, and it's influence can be seen on my blog postings. I can't help but see how anyone can be similarly affected. I found a great deal of the book affirmed my personal beliefs and I even found one small paragraph that read like it was taken straight from my blog!

The writing can become repative at times as there is a tendancy for the same point to be made time & time again, repeated until you're mind won't let it go. It winds around & around, re-stating the same fact, again & again. Languishing on the same point, a bit like this. It does mean it sticks in your memory though. :)

Having said this, whilst the majority of the book is "on the money" I fundamentally disagree with Seth's point on education and how wrong the current system is for our future leaders. Maybe this is specific to the USA and I can see Seth's point but picking up on his other points, education is something that's a gift we give to our children in the hope that they lead successful and fulfilling lives. There are areas of the world that do not have the education we take for granted in the west and they struggle to make ends meet, hoping they can one day afford books and escape their lives. I think Seth's point dismisses this benefit and almost claims we should just let our children be feral. I appreciate this is challenging and thought provoking and my comments most likely justify Seth's writing.

After reading Seth's other books over the years, I have learned and put into practice a great deal of the points raised and adapted them to suit my work making computer games and I feel the people I work with have also indirectly benefitted. I look forward to the next book and until then I'll continue to read Seth's blog to fill the gap.

Read this, and The Dip and Tribes and you'll be spouting Godinisms!
on 16 July 2012
This is a good book that translates well the importance of the expert or "subject matter expert" in a company. Interesting to read but not a real breakthrough that would alter fundamentally your behavior or attitude altough it will bring more positivism in everything you do
on 25 January 2012
Some great advice on how to stand out from the crowd and make a difference in your work. Great chapter on overcoming the 'resistance', the voices inside your head which hold you back. Godin is a provocative and forward thinking writer who challenges you to think differently.
on 29 August 2011
The Linchpin is a beautiful book. It creates an awareness inside of you to the possibility of you being the guy that is sought after, the possibility of you being the top gun. You awaken to the knowledge that although it is an arduous task to ascend the throne of the-indispensable, it is a possible one.

Well done Seth Godin