4.0 out of 5 stars Insightful and thoughtful book about lifestyle change
I expected to hate this. I expected to find it individualistic and self-centred, with a focus on feelgood action and a great deal of smugness. Instead, Beavan is actually quite thoughtful about the relationship between individual and collective action, and revealing about what can and can't be done to opt out of a wasteful, planet-trashing way of life.

I was...
Published on 30 Oct. 2011 by Jezza

3.0 out of 5 stars No Impact...? The Jury is Out.
Would have been a great inspiration, if only there wasn't a question mark about how much 'impact' his book has had on the environment..!! Was this the REAL reason he did this..??
Published 14 months ago by PooBumFace

4.0 out of 5 stars Insightful and thoughtful book about lifestyle change, 30 Oct. 2011
This review is from: No Impact Man: Saving the planet one family at a time (Paperback)

I was particularly interested in what he discovered about the economy (and ecology) of time - how doing without lots of 'time-saving' stuff actually gave him and his family more time to spend together.

I'll watch the film now too.

5.0 out of 5 stars entertaining and thought provoking, 19 Jan. 2012
Ms. R. T. Mountney (uk) - See all my reviews
Loved this book. It's not only an entertaining and fascinating story of a man's struggle to do something better for the planet, but it provokes you to look at and make changes to the way you lead your own life. It raises questions about what we value, what's important in life, and encourages mindfulness about the decisions we make. Should be compulsory reading really! Because we can all make a difference to the future of the planet and indeed should be taking even small steps to do so.

5.0 out of 5 stars No Impact Man: Saving the planet one family at a time, 27 April 2012
I bought this book as I had recently watched the documentary of the same name and wanted to find out more information about the year-long project that they undertook. The author has a very engaging style and the book is also very informative, and it of course covers so much more than was in the one-hour documentary. Recommended for anyone who wants to do more for the environment and make changes in their life. As No Impact Man and his family lived this experiment for a year, it was a good test of what is viable and what isn't eg living without toilet paper is tricky but not impossible, whereas getting rid of the TV or taking the stairs is easy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Too short, but worth it., 5 April 2013
After watching the documentary, I wasn't entirely sure I wanted to buy the book. The documentary came across as a bit whiny, and focused a lot on No Impact Man's wife and her reluctance to certain parts of the project. However, I am very glad I bought the book. It is brilliant and I'd recommend it to everyone, hence the five stars.

One drawback I would like to mention is that the book still doesn't go in enough detail for me. At the beginning of the appendices, there are about 15 links to blog posts you can read for more info. I fail to understand why these weren't included in the book, considering it is actually a much shorter book than you'd think. An entire 15% of the book consists of appendices, references and acknowledgements. A further 25% of the book is an index, which incomprehensibly is placed at the back and is a bit pointless in a Kindle version (you can just use the X-Ray function). My copy cost £4.99 from Amazon.co.uk. I normally make a point of never buying an e-book for more than £4 so I put it on my wishlist and waited. And waited. And ran out of patience, which sadly is not one of my virtues, and bought it anyway. The book was listed as having 282 pages, but as you will only really read about 60% of those, I effectively paid nearly £5 for roughly 170 pages.

I still think the book is worth it, and I will probably open the Kindle app on my Mac and check out all those blog post links, but I just wanted to make any potential buyers aware of the above.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 31 Jan. 2015
Great read, funny and intellectual. Great for ideas and perspective, I would recommend to anyone who enjoys living on planet earth.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 16 Sept. 2014
Excellent read- inspiring. Would recommend

5.0 out of 5 stars Good seller!, 10 Dec. 2014
Happy with the book!

3.0 out of 5 stars No Impact...? The Jury is Out., 1 Jan. 2014

No Impact Man: Saving the planet one family at a time
No Impact Man: Saving the planet one family at a time by Colin Beavan (Paperback - 7 July 2011)